Corsair Community

Unacceptable White Noise

Battletoads

Both the speakers and the microphone of the HS1 produce an abundance of clearly audible white noise. In the case of the speakers its only audible at high volume. The mic is a different story producing a huge amount of white noise at any volume setting. Until corsair gets this sorted (either via a driver update or product update) I would advise everyone to stay away from the HS1.

I have found that the white noise associated with the mic is never heard over voice communication. No one I know complains about any white noise. I only hear it when I use the mic monitoring feature. However I definitely agree with you on the speaker white noise. It isn't audible while I'm actually listening to something, but when skype gets quiet it is very distracting.

My mic is at max volume in the Corsair panel and it has one bar like that. However, in Skype, no one says they can hear any background noise. Likewise, a friend of mine has an HS1 as well and I cannot hear any background noise from him either. I can see how this would be an issue for someone who uses the monitoring consistently though.

d0m1nation... it's the holiday season, give em a break.

... and on top of that, I bet most are at CES right now rep'n it up.

Corsair cares about it's customers. I'm sure that YB 'et al will get us straightened out one way or another.

ie: When the 800d came out, i got one. Alignment issues with mobo mounting tray... I ended up speaking with one of the lead dudes there (not gonna say who) and he actually sent me a new 800d, free of charge, straight from the first bath they got from the manuf. off the boat. He didn't want the old one back, didn't charge me nothing for shipping, and it was here in a few days after shipping.

So now i've got a spare 800d sitting here, everything is perfect on it except the mounting holes are mis-aligned. It has two windows, heh ... they are swappable :)

Anyhow, If Corsair has screwed something up here, or one of their manufacturers did, like the 800d, I have faith that they will make it right. See above. If they need to insert a mic boost i'm sure they will. If they need to replace your headset, i'm sure they will. They want us to be happy with their products. We, the ones who bother posting on forums, are their customer base.

/rant over ;)

Holidays are over, but that does mean there's probably a backlog of tickets due to two 4 day work weeks for them and longer weekends for consumers. I doubt they sent anyone from the support team to CES, although I know Yellowbeard's out there for sure. Someone's gotta raid the place for schwag :)

I just received my HS-1 yesterday and while I was extremely happy at first about the amazing sound, the MIC has terrible white noise. The MIC is way to sensitive, it hears and amps minor things from far far away and is probably the problem. It causes your voice to have static in Ventrilo, probably due to the compressing stage. Corsair needs to fix this white noise ASAP. I'm sure its something that can be fixed with a driver update but if we have to wait months that is going to be kind of ****ty. It's now a known problem that I'm pretty sure all headsets have although some may not notice it depending on what they are doing. So its no longer a "maybe you just got a bad one", they all have it, now lets get a fix please. I really hope Corsair is reading this forum.

On a side note, I really don't mind that the HS-1 has the problem as its a new device and is Corsairs first attempt at a headset so a not so perfect one acceptable in a way. As long as they fix it ASAP, I will be a happy camper.

thewird

It's now a known problem that I'm pretty sure all headsets have although some may not notice it depending on what they are doing. So its no longer a "maybe you just got a bad one", they all have it, now lets get a fix please. I really hope Corsair is reading this forum.
1. No, it's not a "known problem". That would mean it's an issue across the board, and it isn't.

2. Yes, they read the forum since it's the official Corsair forum :)

It is an issue across the board and here is why I say that...

1) Just look through this section, pretty much all the mic issues are related to this white noise.

2) Search beyond this forum and you find more of the same.

3) A friend of mine had this headset before me and although he never complained about it when I asked him to use the monitor feature, he said it sounded exactly the same.

This is not a hardware problem, nor is it an OS problem. It will "simply" take a driver update to fix this. Personally I think the mic is just configured to be too sensitive so it picks up noises it shouldn't be picking up, hence the background noise.

Again, I repeat there is probably a lot of people who do not realize this excessive white noise and/or it may not affect them. Or they may have not done anything yet which would make the white noise noticeable or cause issues. Neither my old Logitech headset, nor this crappy $5 no-name headset had this problem so I don't expect my new $100 HS-1 to have it either.

I love the headphones, I hate the mic (until fixed). Pretending there isn't a problem won't make a solution happen any quicker.

thewird

Rebuttal:

1. That's what a support forum is for, issues. Go to an ER with the same mindset and you may think the apocalypse has come :) No worries, not the first or the last to be in that point of view. Only accurate way to determine if it's across the board would be to count the # of people with issues and compare to the total sold (not a public number). A better idea would be to try to find a common denominator.

2. See # 1

No one said you're not having a problem, or that some others aren't, and no one is pretending that you and others aren't having problems, but there's a big difference between SOME and ALL.

Worst case scenario: You could always ask for it to be replaced with the HS1A (3.5mm jack therefore no drivers).

Just wanted to say that I have the exact same problem as the other forum membera are having.. Should I RMA it? Even though I know everyone else with this headsett is having same problem? Vent isent even usuable with this headsett...

I know this is just a driver issue so should be an easy fix... And as other people stated, they say everywhere that it has noise cancelation but it aint working

Replacing it with the HS1A might fix the issue and in all likelyhood it will. However, I like the USB option (one less plug), I like the built in sound card that can give me artificial 7.1 as well as the dolby thing which seems to work pretty well. At the same time I also like my mic to work correctly and would like it fixed.

Whether you believe there is a problem doesn't really matter as long as Corsair acknowledges the problem and works on a solution instead of wasting time running a survey when there is already enough data to conclude there is a problem.

thewird

Well I've rma'd it back the the middlemen as defective. Hopefully they either give me a refund or these issues aren't as widespread as they seem.

How these issues made it past the design phase is beyond me, it all smacks of a cheaply made product made to earn a quick buck.

I have had my set for about one week so far, the audio quality is great but the white noise is annoying, the only time I hear the white noise is if mic monitoring is turned on so I just run with it off. The other complaint is with the microphone being so quiet I have never had to turn a microphone to full volume in its settings plus put ventrilo to +10 for all outbound sound just so people can hear me. I hope these issues get fixed.

Been well over a year ago since I've even used Ventrilo, may have reinstalled it since then. Actually I think that may be what fixed it, uninstalling and then installing the latest version. Currently it's all set to input and output as my headset.

I went out tonight and purchased these based on the "Gold" award from HardOCP and I have to say I couldn't be more disappointed. I should have spent 2 minutes looking at this forum and realized these are crap. Corsair has done nothing to address the issue and for a company introducing their first audio product, way to piss off the customers...

I've had the Logitech G35, G930, Razer Barracuda's & Carcharias, Plantonics Gamecon 777, Steel Series 5HV2 & Siberia V2 and those that were USB never had any issues with noise and the crap sound that these do. I can use Team Speak or Vent just fine but get into game and let the noise begin. Nothing says "great product" more than the entire server telling you to shut up because of the feedback on your crappy headset you just dropped $100 on....

Is there some fix in the future or should I see if Microcenter has an RMA reason code for "piece of crap"?

Yah, its kinda sad when your own friends tell you to stfu cause you sound like garbage.

Wired, its not a Ventrilo updates issue at all. I thought/hoped that was the issue at first as well but upgrading to the latest version did not help. Also, you can't change your codec from the ventrilo client as that is controlled by the server, not the client. Keep in mind this is going from 2 perfectly working headsets to the hs1 which does not work.

Patiently waiting for a driver update to fix this or at least an acknowledgment that the issue is being worked on.

thewird

Archived