Corsair Community

HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) Warranty Questions

Donel

Hi everybody.

I have an HX850 (the 80 Plus Silver version), which was bought at Amazon US in February 2010. A few days ago, it simply stopped working. All the motherboard LEDs are on, but the PC won't start at all. No boot, no POST, no fans spinning, nothing, not even for a short period of time.

Debug steps I have done:

- Checked all the cables (ATX 24 pin, CPU 4/8 pin, etc)

- Tried to power on the computer through the motherboard button instead of the case's front panel

- Tried to power on the computer with as few components as possible.

- Used a paper clip to bridge the green wire to a black wire on the ATX 24 pin cable, so the power supply could turn itself on without the motherboard.

None of the above seemed to help.

Does this sound like a PSU problem? I think it is curious that the motherboard LEDs are on, even if the PSU doesn't start. Maybe only the 12V and 5V rails stopped working, but the 5V standby rail is still ok, since I can also recharge USB devices.

Now about the warranty:

- I live in Brazil, do I really have to send the defective PSU to Corsair USA or can I send it to Corsair Brasil? The shipping from Brazil to USA for the PSU is really expensive, 33$ by the cheapest method and 59$ by EMS. Is there anything you can do to help me in this regard?

- Would it be possible to get an AX860 as a replacement for the HX850, even if I have to pay a little more for it?

- How does Express Replacement work? Will the credit card be charged at any moment or is it just a warranty?

My PC specs are in my signature. The peripherals are:

- Razer Deathadder 2013 + Razer eXactMat

- CM Storm Trigger with Cherry MX Brown switches

- Audio Technica ATH-AD700

- Xbox 360 Controller Special Edition (with the improved D-Pad) + Microsoft Wireless Receiver

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
Does this sound like a PSU problem? I think it is curious that the motherboard LEDs are on, even if the PSU doesn't start. Maybe only the 12V and 5V rails stopped working, but the 5V standby rail is still ok, since I can also recharge USB devices.

A: It may be I would suggest unplugging everything except a HDD and case fan that connects to the PSU and try the Paper Clip test.

-Does this sound like a PSU problem? I think it is curious that the motherboard LEDs are on, even if the PSU doesn't start. Maybe only the 12V and 5V rails stopped working, but the 5V standby rail is still ok, since I can also recharge USB devices.

I live in Brazil, do I really have to send the defective PSU to Corsair USA or can I send it to Corsair Brasil? The shipping from Brazil to USA for the PSU is really expensive, 33$ by the cheapest method and 59$ by EMS. Is there anything you can do to help me in this regard?

A: I am sorry about that but there is nothing we can do from Tech support, but you are welcome to try your reseller and see if they will help you or call our customer service by phone and see what they might be able to do. You can call the toll free number listed under Contact on http://www.corsair.com for free using SKYPE.

- Would it be possible to get an AX860 as a replacement for the HX850, even if I have to pay a little more for it?

A: I am sorry but we can only replace with the same model that is sent in for an RMA.

- How does Express Replacement work? Will the credit card be charged at any moment or is it just a warranty?

A: They will put a hold on your credit card for the PSU and release the hold when the defective unit is returned.

Well, I guess the problem is not on the PSU.

I did the paper clip test with a lot of fans, HDDs, SSDs, all of tem worked fine.

But when I connect the PSU to the motherboard, nothing works.

Do you have any idea of what can be the problem?

I tested with 2 different VGAs and 6 different memory modules, no luck in any try.

Sounds more like a CPU or motherboard problem? Would a Clear CMOS help in this case?

If you can I would try another PSU on your system and see if it will post

Ok, I'll try that.

and did you try and bypass the power switch on your case?

Yes, I did. I tried to turn the computer on by the motherboard's power button.

What happens if all of the PC components are ok but the CPU? The PC should at least turn on and give some beeps, no?

Because if it should, then I can discard the CPU as the problematic component.

Looking at my mothearboard's manual, it shoud give me some beeps if the problem was RAM or VGA.

So either I have a faulty Motherboard, PSU or CPU (depending on the answer for the first question).

• Corsair Employee
What happens if all of the PC components are ok but the CPU? The PC should at least turn on and give some beeps, no?

Because if it should, then I can discard the CPU as the problematic component.

Looking at my mothearboard's manual, it shoud give me some beeps if the problem was RAM or VGA.

So either I have a faulty Motherboard, PSU or CPU (depending on the answer for the first question).

Yes but that is assuming the MB and CPU are working properly, if the MB or CPU are the issue then the Post beeps may not function properly. I would try another PSU and see where you go from there. If you do need to RMA the PSU please use the link on the left to request an RMA and we can get it replaced. You can even request an Express RMA with a credit card to get the replacement sent our before sending the old PSU in if you like.

You won't believe in where the problem is.

The ATX cable was not fitting well on the motherboard connector. A little earlier today I managed to make it fit well, turned the PC on and everything worked fine, but when I turned the PC off and did some cable management, I wasn't able to make it fit correctly anymore.

Seriously, I have tried everything, but the cable doesn't fit well anymore. It fits, but there is no "click" sound. Very strange.

Have you ever seen a problem like that before?

Any tip?

The cable and the motherboard's connector look fine, so I don't know what's happening.

EDIT: I must force the ATX connector to the outside of the motherboard for it to make good contact (as the image bellow ilustrates), but it won't stay there if I release it.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2792/nz86.png

Do you think the problem is in the motherboard's connector or in the ATX cable connector?

Have you ever seen a problem like that before?

Any tip?

The cable and the motherboard connector look fine, so I don't know what's happening.

Thats not an uncommon problem. It may take quite a bit of force to get it to click. You might have to undo your cables if you have a sharp bend close to the connector.

It's simply impossible.

I have diassembled my PC tons of times, and it was never very difficult to make it fit. I don't think it is simply a lack of force.

I think some wires are not inserted well enough in the right side of the connector. I will buy an NZXT ATX extensor to see if it helps, if it doesn't, then the problem is probably in the motherboard's connector.

Archived