Corsair Community

Can Corsair Toolbox be run on an external drive?

el.patmur

I have a Dell Mini 1012 with a Neutron M310 64 GiB running Mint. It has been reporting an imminent failure - most distressing as it has very few total hours of operation. Since the Corsair utility is a Win OS only app (?), can I drop my drive into an enclosure, or connect the naked drive via USB, and run the tool and firmware updater from a Win OS notebook?

My forum search skills are below par as I found nothing pertinent. I am ashamed.

Nothing obvious in the way of "slowdowns, freezing randomly or ...disappearing...". I ran fstrim and allowed the built-in SMART tools to perform an extended test. So far it's working okay. Just concerned about long-term reliabilty. If it errors return, I'll pull the drive and stuff it into a mule notebook I have laying about and run a PE disc or maybe Hiren's. Worth a try.

As an aside, I did dig deeper into this forum and did find some information. Mainly: Neither Linux nor Mac are supported, Windows only. I'll be looking for other brands of SSD in the future.

Archived