Corsair Community

CMU16GX4M2C3200C16 mixing 2 of the same kits question.

JimBeamBlack

Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing well.

I have an issue, I have been running 2 sticks of CMU16GX4M2C3200C16 RAM in my EVGA Z270 Classified board for about a year now, I just bought another kit of the same exact ram and I would like to just add it to my existing system.

I posted over at the EVGA forums and one of the Gurus replied back that I would probably be better off returning the kit and getting a 4 stick matched set. They do sell these kits at the online dealer that I use BUT I am looking at just under $200 extra AND I will have the 2 sticks I have now just laying around collecting dust.

My question is, How much of a risk am I taking using 2 - CMU16GX4M2C3200C16 kits as opposed to 1 - CMU32GX4M4C3200C16 kit?

And what might be the implications?

Thanks for any input/info!!

I see, so there is not set pattern to the problems that might arise. Well it seems then the only way I'm going to be able to find out is to crack open the box and try it for awhile.

I have always had real good luck with Corsair ram though, so I am tempted try it out, but if I open it I can't return it so, catch 22

I probably should just return it and wait until I can afford the quad kit. That seems to be the safe bet.

I have a couple of days to think about it, thanks for your input sir!!

On the other side, some people have gotten separate and different kits to work well together.
I'm using 2 sets of CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R - 4 x 8GB sticks with same speed and timing as your RAM in a Z370 Classified k without issues (I'm even using it with 1T timings).

That's cool!! I know there is a risk but, I really want to try this out.

I made up my mind last night and I am going to go ahead and try it, I have a set amount I am going to spend on upgrades this year and I am not dipping into my video card stash that's for sure, plus if is doesn't work I can always pass the 16g on to my son. He will love that.

I don't really "need" 32g, I just really want it for some reason...

I understand the risks and I realize I am pretty much on my own so...good luck to me!!

PS: don't try this at home....lol

Archived