Corsair Community

AX860i suddenly shutting down

Ragingsoul

Techs called me today and said during testing the PSU did fine. The problem is intermittent so it may not show up right away. Whatever they determine - I do not think it prudent to risk using it and possibly causing damage to other components, not to mention it could be a safety risk as well.

From previous post:

System was having boot up issues - seemed to be stuck in a loop, and taking at times 5 minutes to get into Windows.

Usually i question techs other than the Corsair team, just because many of them will just tell you it's good with out even testing it. But I was thinking this didn't sound like your typical power supply problem. I really don't think there is any safety risk or risk of damage to your components, at least not from your PSU. I would use it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

I joined the forums here having been directed to them from another forum.

I'm utterly gob smacked, I've just had to RMA my 1 month old AX860i and simply cannot believe what I've read here.

I have to say I'm really concerned having just spent what I thought was top dollar for not just a top product but a platinum pluss product.

It lasted all of a month before I had the same issues with my unit. Initially just powering down unexpectedly but then refusing to boot and the red and no light and clicking syndrome.

What I'd really like to know is having gone to the express replacement solution, will the new unit give me trouble free running?

It cost me $70 to ship it back for the RMA and if it happens again it's going to be an economical disaster and none of it my fault.

Very disappointed indeed. :mad:

'm utterly gob smacked, I've just had to RMA my 1 month old AX860i and simply cannot believe what I've read here.

I have to say I'm really concerned having just spent what I thought was top dollar for not just a top product but a platinum pluss product.

It lasted all of a month before I had the same issues with my unit. Initially just powering down unexpectedly but then refusing to boot and the red and no light and clicking syndrome.

Then you should have also read how many PSU's they sell. You are going to have some failures here and there. Also please keep in mind this is a support forum. All your going to see here are complaints of failures of every type and time frame. I know that sounds like the fan boy response, but it's the truth. Multiply that by 12 months and thats a hell of a lot of power supplies! But i completely understand where your coming from though. Somehow it just kind of burns when it happens to you. I know...thats what brought me here to these forums 3 years ago. :biggrin:

What I'd really like to know is having gone to the express replacement solution, will the new unit give me trouble free running?

It cost me $70 to ship it back for the RMA and if it happens again it's going to be an economical disaster and none of it my fault.

Very disappointed indeed.

99% of the timme they will ship you a brand new unit, but still have the right to use refurnished if they have to. You should be fine with a new unit.,

In the rare event that yoiu would need another RMA, make sure you ask for a pre-paid label. They will cover shipping on second RMA's and products less than 30 days old.

LOL sorry for the typos...I'm trying to get used to a new KB. :)

Edited by peanutz94

Then you should have also read how many PSU's they sell. You are going to have some failures here and there. Also please keep in mind this is a support forum. All your going to see here are complaints of failures of every type and time frame. I know that sounds like the fan boy response, but it's the truth. Multiply that by 12 months and thats a hell of a lot of power supplies! But i completely understand where your coming from though. Somehow it just kind of burns when it happens to you. I know...thats what brought me here to these forums 3 years ago. :biggrin:

. :)

+1

of course im still looking for a product with a zero failure rate.

out of over 3 dozen items ive purchased of corsair products ive had one failure,,,well it still worked but just not to my expectations

sorry this has happened and not being rude or crude but it was just luck of the draw yours zonked out...

99% of the timme they will ship you a brand new unit, but still have the right to use refurnished if they have to. You should be fine with a new unit.,

In the rare event that yoiu would need another RMA, make sure you ask for a pre-paid label. They will cover shipping on second RMA's and products less than 30 days old.

LOL sorry for the typos...I'm trying to get used to a new KB. :)

Hi

I appreciate your thoughts and to a greater extent it's not so much the problem, but how the problem is fixed.

Here I'm pleased to say I'm now more confident. I used the Express RMA and I'm happy to say the replacement should be here according to the tracking note tomorrow afternoon. So in fairness, once having done the RMA my PC would only theoretically been down for 4-5 days and I think that is a very reasonable turnaround.

You also have to understand that as a customer when something goes wrong you are hardly likely to be overjoyed that you are one of the unlucky ones :(: regardless of how many units are sold world wide or what the return percentages are.

I would note that if I'd found the forum here quicker it would have probably been much easier to find out how to go about the process of organising an RMA. This is the first time I've had to do it.

The manual in this case led me astray as it clearly states if you get a red light or no light on the self test to contact Corsair for help.

Well of course I tried contacting Corsair, now this is where Corsair let me down.

I didn't immediately do an RMA, I was told in the manual to ask for technical help!!!! I didn't know if there was some kind of re-set that could be done or if there was something I was going to be told that would get the PSU back up and running, so thought I'd have to wait until a technician told me to go the next step to the RMA

I lost 3-4 days waiting for a rely to my ticket that never came and still hasn't.

Yet as soon as I said enough is enough and did the RMA, it went through in hours!

That seems to me to be a problem with the on line assistance.

I even tried calling international, but to be told all technicians are currently unavailable, not unexpectedly I hung up.

The system (if my replacement arrives tomorrow) would seem to work, that's if you know how to use it.

Sadly It not made clear how to use it though and the promise of a 24 hour reply on the technical support side is certainly nothing short of out an out lie :evil:

These are my experiences, some of it good, once in the system proper. However, getting into the system has plenty of flaws at the Corsair end and promisses made that clearly aren't kept.

I'll probably feel a lot better about it once the replacement unit is here and the US $ 187 is back in my account.

Cheers John

Edited by raglafart

You also have to understand that as a customer when something goes wrong you are hardly likely to be overjoyed that you are one of the unlucky ones regardless of how many units are sold world wide or what the return percentages are.

your absolutely right as its the customer must bear the burden of the inconvenience

one reason ive stuck with corsair products is they understand this and have people that go beyond the call of duty to try and ease the hassle customers go thru,their quite dedicated and which is why their seen posting here all hours of the day and night.

You also have to understand that as a customer when something goes wrong you are hardly likely to be overjoyed that you are one of the unlucky ones regardless of how many units are sold world wide or what the return percentages are.

I understand. A faulty product is what brought me here to these forums three years ago. I wasn't exactly all that happy either. But on the other hand it's only after i found out my self how many products are actually sold that i started to look at things a bit different. I'm the sort of person that doesn't sweat things like that though. It's a manufactured item and they all have casualties. It just burns when it's you.

The manual in this case led me astray as it clearly states if you get a red light or no light on the self test to contact Corsair for help.

Well of course I tried contacting Corsair, now this is where Corsair let me down.

I didn't immediately do an RMA, I was told in the manual to ask for technical help!!!! I didn't know if there was some kind of re-set that could be done or if there was something I was going to be told that would get the PSU back up and running, so thought I'd have to wait until a technician told me to go the next step to the RMA

I lost 3-4 days waiting for a rely to my ticket that never came and still hasn't.

Yet as soon as I said enough is enough and did the RMA, it went through in hours!

That seems to me to be a problem with the on line assistance.

I even tried calling international, but to be told all technicians are currently unavailable, not unexpectedly I hung up.

The self test can only be run without NO cables attached to the PSU. Otherwise you'll get a red light every time. Might want to double heck it if you had it still in your machine.

Edited by peanutz94

The self test can only be run without NO cables attached to the PSU. Otherwise you'll get a red light every time. Might want to double heck it if you had it still in your machine.

I tested it with various power supply cables to eliminate even those and tested it out of my pc with none of the modular cabling attached, I wanted to check to see if there was any kind of reset button anywhere.

When it failed the self test in that state is when I raised the RMA

Cheers John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I recently bought a R9 280X DC2T graphics card from Asus and ever since I put the card in my system I'm experiencing stability issues.

The first 5 minutes ingame I started getting artifacts in Battlefield 4. I have read that the memory chips used in the card were not designed

to operate at higher clock speeds than 1500 Mhz with 1.5V. The default clock for the memory on this particular model was 1600 Mhz on 1.6V.

First I thought it was my video card but after half an hour playing on another map, I didn't get the artifacts anymore. Later on I did start getting them again.

After a while my PC would suddenly shut down with an error message "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit" and rebooted.

From then on this started to happen very frequently but totally random. Sometimes in idle state other times while gaming.

After the shutdown it can take up to 2 tries before the system successfully reboots. So I started troubleshooting in the following order:

1. Set memory clock speed of the graphics card on 1500 Mhz with MSI Afterburner (After I did this I got my first power surge, totally random so it seems afterwards..);
  2. Put off Anti-Surge protect via UEFI BIOS (I got several other pc shutdowns without the error message since I disabled the Anti-surge.);
  3. Put in my old Asus HD6950 graphics card (Same problems here);
  4. Unplugged everything from my AX860i PSU and did a self-test which was successful;
  5. Updated my motherboard BIOS to newest version (Getting desperate...:sigh!:);
  6. Put my power supply cable (6+2pin) into another PCI-E port of my PSU (Ran fine for an hour or 2 yesterday and today when I put my new graphics card back in,
    my pc shut down again after the first 5 minutes. At this very moment I'm typing this, there hasn't been a power surge for ~3 hours.)

My PC specs:

• Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
  • PSU: AX 860i
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (C2)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K
  • CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 CL9 LP
  • Graphics card: ASUS r9 280x DCII Top
  • HDD: WD Green 1TB
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Basic 250GB

As you can see, I already tried a few things but without any success for the moment. In a couple of days I will try to test my system with a different PSU from a friend

to see if it's my system or the PSU which is causing these problems. Note that every shutdown is random. It can happen every few minutes or every few hours. I will also add a logfile from my PSU.

I really hope someone can help me because I'm kind of stuck right now until I can get my buddy to test my system with his PSU. Thanks.:winking:

Kind regards.

logFile.zip

Edited by mintik
Forgot to put an attachment.

Hello,

I recently bought a R9 280X DC2T graphics card from Asus and ever since I put the card in my system I'm experiencing stability issues.

The first 5 minutes ingame I started getting artifacts in Battlefield 4. I have read that the memory chips used in the card were not designed

to operate at higher clock speeds than 1500 Mhz with 1.5V. The default clock for the memory on this particular model was 1600 Mhz on 1.6V.

First I thought it was my video card but after half an hour playing on another map, I didn't get the artifacts anymore. Later on I did start getting them again.

After a while my PC would suddenly shut down with an error message "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit" and rebooted.

From then on this started to happen very frequently but totally random. Sometimes in idle state other times while gaming.

After the shutdown it can take up to 2 tries before the system successfully reboots. So I started troubleshooting in the following order:

1. Set memory clock speed of the graphics card on 1500 Mhz with MSI Afterburner (After I did this I got my first power surge, totally random so it seems afterwards..);
  2. Put off Anti-Surge protect via UEFI BIOS (I got several other pc shutdowns without the error message since I disabled the Anti-surge.);
  3. Put in my old Asus HD6950 graphics card (Same problems here);
  4. Unplugged everything from my AX860i PSU and did a self-test which was successful;
  5. Updated my motherboard BIOS to newest version (Getting desperate...:sigh!:);
  6. Put my power supply cable (6+2pin) into another PCI-E port of my PSU (Ran fine for an hour or 2 yesterday and today when I put my new graphics card back in,
    my pc shut down again after the first 5 minutes. At this very moment I'm typing this, there hasn't been a power surge for ~3 hours.)

My PC specs:

• Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
  • PSU: AX 860i
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (C2)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K
  • CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 CL9 LP
  • Graphics card: ASUS r9 280x DCII Top
  • HDD: WD Green 1TB
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Basic 250GB

As you can see, I already tried a few things but without any success for the moment. In a couple of days I will try to test my system with a different PSU from a friend

to see if it's my system or the PSU which is causing these problems. Note that every shutdown is random. It can happen every few minutes or every few hours. I will also add a logfile from my PSU.

I really hope someone can help me because I'm kind of stuck right now until I can get my buddy to test my system with his PSU. Thanks.:winking:

Kind regards.

Turn the GPU fan to 100% and remove any overclocks. See if this helps as it sounds like overheating to me.

Set memory clock speed of the graphics card on 1500 Mhz with MSI Afterburner (After I did this I got my first power surge, totally random so it seems afterwards..);

Put off Anti-Surge protect via UEFI BIOS (I got several other pc shutdowns without the error message since I disabled the Anti-surge.);

Put in my old Asus HD6950 graphics card (Same problems here);

Unplugged everything from my AX860i PSU and did a self-test which was successful;

Updated my motherboard BIOS to newest version (Getting desperate...);

Put my power supply cable (6+2pin) into another PCI-E port of my PSU (Ran fine for an hour or 2 yesterday and today when I put my new graphics card back in,

Or you just have a bad card. this isn't PSU related.

Or you just have a bad card. this isn't PSU related.

So I have 2 bad cards then? Since I have the same problems with my old graphics card HD6950.

EDIT: Ok so I have tested my power supply in the system of my buddy. Not 5 minutes have passed or his system started failing and rebooting.

This problem occured 2-3 times in a timeframe of 20 minutes. I think it is safe to say the problem lies with my PSU and not with my system?

Despite my PSU being faulty my videocard is also faulty because after the VRM's get too hot ~70°C, I'm starting to get artifacts.

Guess I should play the lottery right now. I haven't had that much bad luck in a while.

Edited by mintik

I bought AX760i for 80 Plus Platinum and Corsair reputation since last August from Newegg.com in US. It works fine but I have to go back to my hometown in Thailand. I decided to ship the system back to Thailand via Ocean Freight.

When it arrive Thailand, symptom start to show up. First, I try to rearrange the cables to my MB, HD, SSD and Video card. However, the problem still be exist. The funniest thing is if I removed the side panel of my case and power on, it turns on fine without any issue!!

I don't know how to RMA in Thailand since I bought in US. Do Corsair have any information about this?

Thank you in Advance for your help

• 1 year later...
I have just bought an HX850i and it constantly is shutting down. I got it to a point where it will go for 4-5 minutes. Now other problems are that the motherboard is not posting and it is my first build. Learning curve has been huge on this with this message coming after 3 weeks of searching for solutions and asking unsuccessfully for assistance.

• 2 months later...

I have just bought my second one of these PSU's, and had this problem for around 2 weeks before having time to spend on fixing it.

When I got around to grabbing my old PSU out of the old system, I noticed I had padded the top left mounting screw with fibre washers and it all came flooding back..

2 years ago I had the same problem, random resets without warning after hours of perfectly normal use (heavy or not), then repeated resets before BIOS Post. I found that I had used standard case screws to mount the PSU to the backplate of the case, and one of these had reached far enough in to touch the main PCB. On padding this screw out all the problems went away.

The mounting hole at fault is the top left hole, when seen from the rear, with the cooling fan port facing down. Hope this helps anyone else who might get this problem, and might shed light on different rated versions of this PSU.

After padding the screw I am able to run either machine (Asus maximus VI Impact + Corsair Graphite 360T mini-ITX case vs. Asus z87 pro + Coolermaster HAF XB mATX) with either PSU with no problems.

• 1 year later...

I had this exact same issue on my new build a month or so ago.

To start of with I thought it was a ram issue as it did it a lot less after removing 2 of the 4 dimms.

In the end, as a last resort before I rma the ram and/or board, I plugged the PSU directly into a wall outlet and it instantly irradiated all the problems!

After doing some testing I came to the conclusion that it was either a voltage spike, or the under voltage protection was kicking in from either a faulty extension lead or other piece of hardware connected to said lead.

Is your PSU connected directly to an outlet?

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

I'm so sad, i think i have the same or similar problem. I bought it in last august, and one month ago started the issue. no matter what you do, playing or just few minutes the system was set up.., the ax860i psu shut down my pc. and after about 5sec the system swich on itself automatic and few secs after shut down again. and this continues indefinitely. this time i have to swich off the psu. when the issue happen, i can't use the machine until 15-30 minutes (it's do the same, swich on and reset aut.). i already removed everything from my system, there's just the board (lastest bios), cpu (intel: passed), memory (xmp off) and ssd. i use everything in 4K.

i changed the psu to a hx520w, and my pc is full stable. I thought i have memory problem because of xmp oc profil, but not.

now the ax860i is in my girlfriends machine. there's not repeat the problem. its an asus h110m-a m.2 with a pentium g4560, gtx 970, 2x4gb corsair 2133, fhd

i bought this expensive psu, because i wanted the most reliable solution :(.

Corsair. please give a solution...

Edited by bochi mode

• 2 weeks later...

there are thousands of people with AX series PSU that suffer from abrupt shutdown.

I had the same problem and there are hundred of threads of people having the same problem with the AX series.

this problem happen on AX series only, it can't be anything else than a design flaw.

Corsair admit it and recall our PSUs.

Add me to the list. My 1-2yr old AX860I has low 3.3V warning that comes and goes. I can play Rust, BF1, BF3, etc for hours at times and other times my pc turns off like someone pulled the cord out. No red light. Mine passes the auto test, but the 3.3V line keeps fluctuating so much from 2.8 to 3.3V. Ive checked all wire connections and I run a clean rig. I hide my wires and have a nice looking PC on the inside.

Im loosing my faith in corsair products. This is the third product in a row that I have been let down by.

Asus X99 Deluxe

I7 No overclock

32GB 3200MHz running at 2600 because its only stable at that speed.

EVGA 980ti hydro

Corsair H100I cooler (this has been trouble free for 1-2yrs now).

Acer Predator Z35 Monitor

Samsung EVO 512GB SSD X2 in RAID 0 for OS. (boots SO fast!)

3TB 7200rpm HD for user files and storage.

Windows 10

I built my PC and I sell ram for a living. (no I dont work for corsair), so I kind of know what Im doing with a PC.

Can any or all of you do me and your selves a favor. Install corsair link, go into the power supply fan settings and set the fan on fixed at 100%. Report back if your issues go away or if its still happening.

A while ago ALOT of ax1500i and ax1200i users had the same issues with there power supplys. There was a lot of RMA's and corsair actually sold ALOT of refurbished units out on newegg and amazon after that.

I tend to think there is a issue with the temp sensor sensing the wrong temp and doing a emergency shutdown. I am going to be trying to get mine fixed, if they are not willing I'm going to take it to a friend that does electronic repair and see if he can replace the faulty sensor and if all fails buy a power supply from a different manufacture.

• 4 months later...
Can any or all of you do me and your selves a favor. Install corsair link, go into the power supply fan settings and set the fan on fixed at 100%. Report back if your issues go away or if its still happening.

Hello from Switzerland / Germany.

After one year of normal work and use my AX860i also began to bring the working PC down.

I checked several things because I had the hope it cannot be such an expensive PSU but...

What I found out is that when I start the PC the fan of den AX runs. When I'm in Windows it stops. Fan speed setting in Corsair Link is set to "Standard".

If the PC is getting hot it will also not start.

I set it in this moment to maximum and will check if the problem comes again.

The fan is really loud. I think I will do the RMA with this information and look what Corsair says. Second Corsair product that is broken in one year (first was a H110i GTX AiO Hydro).

BR

Michael

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I have the ax860i and I have the same problem. Random shutdowns with red light. I tried every combination, different gpus, different motherboards but it still does it very often. The problem is that my psu isnt under warranty so no RMA for me. It was a refurbished unit with only three months of warranty. So now I would like to repair it somewhere locally, but can be fixed? is there something inside that needs replacement? anyone know what is the cause of this problem?