Corsair Community

Ordered a 150i - Concerned about the pump reliability

Sethos

I'm expecting to take delivery of a 150i Pro later today, as my second Alphacool Eisbaer is displaying signs of pump grinding, which is my cue to switch brands. However, I'm reading an awful lot of pump failure problems with the 115i, which seems to be using the same pump as the 150i? Obviously you'll always find these sort of posts and reviews on AIOs but it just feels like I'm seeing a disproportionate amount of pump problems with this unit.

So now I'm just concerned and wondering if I should refuse delivery and let it go back, or are my worries unfounded; different pump, issue has been fixed, anything along those lines? I'd rather not waste my time slapping in another AIO that has a high chance of going bad in 6 months, then having to go through the replacement process, It's getting tiresome at this point.

Thanks

The H115i and the H150i PRO are totally different pumps. The H115i PRO and the H150i PRO are the same pump. Both are too new on the market for there to be any kind of pattern of failure.

Now ... the other caveat that I have for you is this: keep in mind that most folks never have an issue ... and never post ... and never discuss it. Especially on this forum, most of what you see are people with issues of one kind or another ... it's kinda the purpose of the forum, ya know? User that never have an issue ... well, they often never come here. So what you read out in the InterWebs is a lot of the folks that have an issue ... and almost no one that doesn't.

Now ... I don't know Corsair's sales figures or RMA rates. But I would suspect that there is a relatively low percentage of coolers sold that ever get RMA'd within the 5 year warranty period (which is pretty darn long, btw). Do some fail? Absolutely. I had an H100i V2 fail on me. But Corsair is usually really good about honoring their warranty ... sometimes even when the user was to blame. And, if there was a high incidence of failure, Corsair wouldn't be the successful, profitable company that it apparently is.

It is a new unit for Corsair so there is no track record. However, I would not expect it to be anything like the prior H100i v2 or H115i. As mentioned, the pump is different as are the hose insertions and a few other details. I am not sorry to see the H115i go.

The warranty is 5 years, but that is the only guarantee any one can offer. I understand your sentiments, but the only other option is to go with a custom loop of your own where you can replace individual parts if needed. Besides the higher expense you also don't have any guarantees or protection. That in combination with the regular maintenance keeps a lot of people willing to keep at it. As annoying as a pump failure can be, there are worse things that can happen when building your own. If you are not wanting that much commitment, the H150i Pro is good choice.

Archived