Corsair Community

Unable to POST with XMP enabled (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

hyseptik

Been scratching my head over this one for some time. Most of the needed info can be found in my specs, but I'll add that the RAM was bought in a bundle (2x8GB), and is v5.30.

At first I installed the RAM in slots A1 and A2, not knowing the proper instructions for achieving dual-channel operation. Only later did I discover that it was running in single-channel mode. After enabling XMP, the motherboard was unable to POST, and I had to disable XMP again to be able to boot. I already confirmed that the XMP settings match the specs of the product (timings 15-17-17-35, voltage 1.35). I also tried setting these values manually, which produces the same result.

When I realized the RAM was also running in single-channel mode, I looked into it and found that I had to install it in slots A2 and B2 to achieve dual-channel operation. I did so and tried enabling XMP again. At first, the system actually booted, but I then discovered that the system had only detected one of the RAM sticks. I shut down the system and the PSU, made sure both sticks were properly seated and booted up again. This time the motherboard was again unable to POST. I disabled XMP, and the system booted correctly - this time with dual-channel operation.

It's really frustrating to have to run at 2133 MHz when I shelled out for 3000 MHz RAM. According to my motherboard's Qualified Vendors List (QVL), the RAM should be able to run alright, and I believe the same is true for my CPU.

Please advise! :)

Update: Just realized that I had read the motherboard's manual wrong, and I was using slots A1 and B1 rather than the recommended A2 and B2. I changed that and enabled XMP. This time, the initial POST failed, but instead of the usual error message the system booted successfully after a restart. Will test more tomorrow to assess stability. Hoping that the initial POST failure was a one time thing, but I hesitate to believe so. Will update again.

Update 2: After waking the system from sleep mode, POST failed again. Rebooted and it succeeded. Just like yesterday. Not sure what to do. Will update regarding stability when I've had the chance to use the PC for a while.

• Corsair Employee
Been scratching my head over this one for some time. Most of the needed info can be found in my specs, but I'll add that the RAM was bought in a bundle (2x8GB), and is v5.30.

At first I installed the RAM in slots A1 and A2, not knowing the proper instructions for achieving dual-channel operation. Only later did I discover that it was running in single-channel mode. After enabling XMP, the motherboard was unable to POST, and I had to disable XMP again to be able to boot. I already confirmed that the XMP settings match the specs of the product (timings 15-17-17-35, voltage 1.35). I also tried setting these values manually, which produces the same result.

When I realized the RAM was also running in single-channel mode, I looked into it and found that I had to install it in slots A2 and B2 to achieve dual-channel operation. I did so and tried enabling XMP again. At first, the system actually booted, but I then discovered that the system had only detected one of the RAM sticks. I shut down the system and the PSU, made sure both sticks were properly seated and booted up again. This time the motherboard was again unable to POST. I disabled XMP, and the system booted correctly - this time with dual-channel operation.

It's really frustrating to have to run at 2133 MHz when I shelled out for 3000 MHz RAM. According to my motherboard's Qualified Vendors List (QVL), the RAM should be able to run alright, and I believe the same is true for my CPU.

Please advise! :)

Update: Just realized that I had read the motherboard's manual wrong, and I was using slots A1 and B1 rather than the recommended A2 and B2. I changed that and enabled XMP. This time, the initial POST failed, but instead of the usual error message the system booted successfully after a restart. Will test more tomorrow to assess stability. Hoping that the initial POST failure was a one time thing, but I hesitate to believe so. Will update again.

Update 2: After waking the system from sleep mode, POST failed again. Rebooted and it succeeded. Just like yesterday. Not sure what to do. Will update regarding stability when I've had the chance to use the PC for a while.

Could be a motherboard/CPU stability issue from your description, make sure you're on the latest bios.

Could be a motherboard/CPU stability issue from your description, make sure you're on the latest bios.

Forgot to mention in my initial post. I'm already on the latest BIOS (0616). I got busy today but have used the PC a little, and it seemed stable. I also did a reboot without any issues. From reading online I've seen people have problems with "cold boots". I may try to leave it off overnight and see if it'll POST successfully tomorrow. Meanwhile, should I maybe perform any kind of memory test or something to confirm that things are as stable as they seem?

Having the same problem to POST with CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

my mother is Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4

the ram also not the motherboard QVL list

but i found that CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16 is in the QVL list

what is the different between these 2 ram? and can i timing CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 to CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16?

• Corsair Employee
Having the same problem to POST with CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

my mother is Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4

the ram also not the motherboard QVL list

but i found that CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16 is in the QVL list

what is the different between these 2 ram? and can i timing CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 to CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16?

They're just 2 different kits, differences are the revision number, frequency, timings.

Archived