The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Bulldog and Lapdog

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-29-2016, 03:34 PM
kc5vdj kc5vdj is offline
Registered User
kc5vdj's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 56
POST ID # = 855357
kc5vdj Reputation: 10
Default Motherboard compatability question

Will the radiator fit on an Asus Maximus VIII Impact board?

Does the cooler respect the "Area D" height specification as specified in

"Mini-ITX Addendum Version 2.0
To the microATX Motherboard Interface Specification Version 1.2
October 2010"
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 05-31-2016, 05:41 PM
Corsair Dustin's Avatar
Corsair Dustin Corsair Dustin is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Dustin's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,095
POST ID # = 855688
Corsair Dustin Reputation: 41
Default

The Maximus VIII Impact and any other mini-ITX boards with risers will *not* be compatible with the H5 SF. The riser interferes with the cooler's mounting mechanism.
__________________
Corsair DIY & Gaming Systems Architect
Product Manager for Corsair Link Software


Please do not send private messages requesting tech support or trouble shooting. You can create a thread and let the solution to your issue be visible to everyone, or alternatively, work directly with tech support by contacting them here.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 06-06-2016, 09:55 PM
kc5vdj kc5vdj is offline
Registered User
kc5vdj's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 56
POST ID # = 856843
kc5vdj Reputation: 10
Default

Thanks Dustin.

You rawk, man. I was thinking that it wouldn't after watching your Bulldog build video yesterday.

Oh, and Congrats on finishing Bulldog! Maybe you can be less grumpy now!
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Winger1775 Winger1775 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 5
POST ID # = 856919
Winger1775 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5vdj View Post
Will the radiator fit on an Asus Maximus VIII Impact board?

Does the cooler respect the "Area D" height specification as specified in

"Mini-ITX Addendum Version 2.0
To the microATX Motherboard Interface Specification Version 1.2
October 2010"
What Dustin said. Look at these 2 boards instead: ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming and the MSI Gaming Z170i. Both support PC3200 memory and M.2 @ PCI-e Gen3 x4 speed.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 06-14-2016, 04:54 PM
nwkrep82 nwkrep82 is offline
Registered User
nwkrep82's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
POST ID # = 858114
nwkrep82 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5vdj View Post
Will the radiator fit on an Asus Maximus VIII Impact board?

Does the cooler respect the "Area D" height specification as specified in

"Mini-ITX Addendum Version 2.0
To the microATX Motherboard Interface Specification Version 1.2
October 2010"
Hey. I received my Bulldog a couple days ago. And yes, you can fit an Asus Maximus VIII Impact in this case with the Hydro Series™ H5 SF...How do I know? Well...because I did it

It does require a couple of modifications. These mods don't require any modification (cutting, sanding, bending, or trimming) of the actual cooler mounting hardware.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Corsair Art's Avatar
Corsair Art Corsair Art is offline
Corsair Employee
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 351
POST ID # = 858148
Corsair Art Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwkrep82 View Post
Hey. I received my Bulldog a couple days ago. And yes, you can fit an Asus Maximus VIII Impact in this case with the Hydro Series™ H5 SF...How do I know? Well...because I did it

It does require a couple of modifications. These mods don't require any modification (cutting, sanding, bending, or trimming) of the actual cooler mounting hardware.
Which modifications did you do?
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 06-14-2016, 11:36 PM
vsg vsg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 416
POST ID # = 858159
vsg Reputation: 10
Default

A few washers may help out. The posts on the H5 SF mounting kit have 5-6 threads, and a washer will help raise the radiator above the VRM daughterboard while still getting a couple of threads in hopefully.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 06-16-2016, 02:22 AM
nwkrep82 nwkrep82 is offline
Registered User
nwkrep82's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
POST ID # = 858336
nwkrep82 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Art View Post
Which modifications did you do?
Well, one of the first issues I encountered was the H5 SF's L shaped mounting bracket interferes with the heat sink/shroud of the riser card when trying to attach it to the screw points.

What I did was remove the back of the riser heat sink (two screws). Then I put the screws and plastic washers back on (to keep the front of the heatsink held in place).

With the back removed, I was able to set the H5 SF's bracket properly. I then placed the Impact's riser back shroud back in its place sitting ON TOP of the H5 SF's bracket. Line it up with the mother board screw holes and secure with the motherboard screws.

Now that the bracket is attached, I had to get the blower mounted. Normally, the riser does not allow the hoses to fit. So, in order to raise the blower up, I used some motherboard standoffs I happened to have lying around. I screwed them into the 3 holes on the bracket. I then screwed the H5 SF's standoffs into those motherboard stand offs I attached.

I installed the cpu block as normal. When mounting the blower, I used the included screws. I screwed down the blower just enough for the screws to catch the standoff threads. I made sure the screw closest to riser wasn't causing the hose to compress between the blower and the riser. The screw on the the standoff on the left (looking from the front of the case), was adjusted to match the one on the right. The screw at the top I was actually able to tighten slight more to eliminate most of the wiggle. You could probably add washers for a 'tighter' fit.

When fitting the top lid of the Bulldog, I discovered I had to remove the foam padding that sits over the cooler. There is sound deadening material on the top lid. On that sound deadening material, there is an area of foam padding. Because the cooler now sits higher than intended, that foam padding doesn't allow the lid to sit properly.

I used a heat gun and a knife to remove the foam and glue. I was able to remove the foam and glue with no damage to the sound deadening material. After that, the lid fit perfectly













Last edited by nwkrep82; 06-16-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 06-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Corsair Art's Avatar
Corsair Art Corsair Art is offline
Corsair Employee
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 351
POST ID # = 858386
Corsair Art Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwkrep82 View Post
Well, one of the first issues I encountered was the H5 SF's L shaped mounting bracket interferes with the heat sink/shroud of the riser card when trying to attach it to the screw points.

What I did was remove the back of the riser heat sink (two screws). Then I put the screws and plastic washers back on (to keep the front of the heatsink held in place).

With the back removed, I was able to set the H5 SF's bracket properly. I then placed the Impact's riser back shroud back in its place sitting ON TOP of the H5 SF's bracket. Line it up with the mother board screw holes and secure with the motherboard screws.

Now that the bracket is attached, I had to get the blower mounted. Normally, the riser does not allow the hoses to fit. So, in order to raise the blower up, I used some motherboard standoffs I happened to have lying around. I

screwed them into the 3 holes on the bracket. I then screwed the H5 SF's standoffs into those motherboard stand offs I attached.

I installed the cpu block as normal. When mounting the blower, I used the included screws. I screwed down the blower just enough for the screws to catch the standoff threads. I made sure the screw closest to riser wasn't causing the hose to compress between the blower and the riser. The screw on the the standoff on the left (looking from the front of the case), was adjusted to match the one on the right. The screw at the top I was actually able to tighten slight more to eliminate most of the wiggle. You could probably add washers for a 'tighter' fit.

When fitting the top lid of the Bulldog, I discovered I had to remove the foam padding that sits over the cooler. There is sound deadening material on the top lid. On the that deadening material, there is an area of foam padding. Because the cooler now sits higher than intended, that foam padding does allow the lid to sit properly.

I used a heat gun and a knife to remove the foam and glue. I was able to remove the foam and glue with no damage to the sound deadening material. After that, the lid fit perfectly












Thanks for the info, and nice setup.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 06-16-2016, 02:04 PM
nwkrep82 nwkrep82 is offline
Registered User
nwkrep82's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
POST ID # = 858391
nwkrep82 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Art View Post
Thanks for the info, and nice setup.
No prob! Thanks for the complement
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 06-16-2016, 07:26 PM
vsg vsg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 416
POST ID # = 858424
vsg Reputation: 10
Default

Nice build!
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 06-16-2016, 08:51 PM
nwkrep82 nwkrep82 is offline
Registered User
nwkrep82's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
POST ID # = 858429
nwkrep82 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsg View Post
Nice build!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 01-17-2017, 02:21 PM
HoneyBadgerUK HoneyBadgerUK is offline
Registered User
HoneyBadgerUK's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 19
POST ID # = 887144
HoneyBadgerUK Reputation: 10
Default

What cabinet is that?
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 01-17-2017, 02:29 PM
nwkrep82 nwkrep82 is offline
Registered User
nwkrep82's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
POST ID # = 887148
nwkrep82 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerUK View Post
What cabinet is that?
Its actually an Insignia TV stand I picked up from BestBuy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...?skuId=4285300
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.