Corsair Community

M64 issues with Adaptec 51645

jagy23

We're running 16 M64 SSDs in a RAID 5 on the Adaptec 51645 RAID card. The drives will drop out of the array when stressed with small, random writes (i.e. 4kB). Do you have any ideas of how to rectify this issue? The drives work fine with sequential writes and reads, but will crash the array within minutes of starting random writes. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

-Jaden

• Corsair Employee

You might want to talk to Adaptec to see if there is some setting to change internally in the controller, but it sounds like the controller is too aggressive or set to aggressively for SSD's.

Do all of the drives drop out or just one of them? I would also check there firmware version that is installed.

jagy23,

The M64 has no cache. Under the options for the RAID Card, do you have options for write cache on the following "disabled", "write thru" or "write back"? If so try setting to write thru if that does not help select disabled. And did you state 16 drives?

That is a good point about the cache. I could see how the drive would have issues with heavy 4k random writes with no cache to buffer it.

Unfortunately we can't live with the performance that results from disabling write cache on the card. I have ordered 3 P256s to setup a RAID 5 to determine whether the drive cache will solve this problem. I'll let you know what I find out.

I have had cases where just 1 drive dropped out, but more frequently all of the drives drop off the RAID array and pretty much lock up the system.

-Jaden

Archived