Corsair Community

Son's first build..bad stick..bad NewEgg

stelnikov

My son decided to build his first pc after saving up money from a lawnmowing business. We decided on Corsair because that's the RAM I've always used and had success with. He bought all the parts from NewEgg and completed the build. Worked great for a few days but one of the two RAM sticks died. RMA'd the part to NewEgg, but only sent the bad stick otherwise he wouldn't be able to run his pc at all. NewEgg refused the RMA because the package only contained the bad RAM. Any help on what to do at this point would be appreciated.

Did NewEgg return the bad RAM stick to you?

If so, you can do an "Advanced RMA" with Corsair. They will need a credit card to hold as assurance that you will return both sticks in the kit ... but they will ship you the RAM and, once you get it, you can ship back both sticks from the defective kit.

This is not surprising and they can be a bit prickly with returns. It likely states somewhere in the return agreement you need to put everything back in the box. Having redundant hardware to keep the PC up and running is either a luxury or a reason to keep spares if essential. Is Newegg not willing to take the RMA with the full product now? If they are, that is probably the fastest option especially if this is a recent purchase.

My son decided to build his first pc after saving up money from a lawnmowing business. We decided on Corsair because that's the RAM I've always used and had success with. He bought all the parts from NewEgg and completed the build. Worked great for a few days but one of the two RAM sticks died. RMA'd the part to NewEgg, but only sent the bad stick otherwise he wouldn't be able to run his pc at all. NewEgg refused the RMA because the package only contained the bad RAM. Any help on what to do at this point would be appreciated.

Advance RMA (as above reply states) or buy another kit and RMA the bad ram. When the new kit gets to him, send the rma ram back (if hes still in the time frame to return)

Archived