Corsair Community

Using Commander Pro for h115i non-pro 0 rpm fan control?

moorhound

I've been on an upgrading kick lately and upgraded the SP fans on my h115i to the ML series, and to get custom curves for my case fans/RGB lighting control I got a Corsair Commander Pro recently.

One of the only things that's bugged me about my h115i is the inability to use 0 RPM mode, which the Pro version has. I noticed when messing around with my Commander that I can set my fans to use my h115i temp as their reference.

Would I be able to connect the ML fans mounted to my h115i to my Commander, let them use the h115 temp (like i'm doing now), and effectively get the 0 RPM Pro experience? I've got 4 extra fan connections available so that wouldn't be a problem.

You can set a temp X = 0 rpm on the curve and the fan will power down. It may burst a little on the initial trigger temperature, but this works. However, in terms of general coolant temperature management, zero rpm mode has a lot negatives. With zero airflow you will take on the coolant temp of a heavy load. Any recent processor is not going sit at 700 MHz and minimal Vcore, so you will see some higher cpu temps when in this state as it bounces off the max Voltage every few seconds. Finally, when you are ready to do heavier work with normal fan response, you will either need to accept the 7-10C penalty you’ve accumulated or power the fans for several minutes to bring the coolant back down. Most people are better served running the fans as low as possible instead of off and avoiding the large temperature hit. A ML140 will run 375-400 rpm. Hard to call that intrusive.