Corsair Community

Will the CLNP + CLCP control any 5V WS2812B addressable 5050 RGB LED Strip

red-ray

Ah ok, I misunderstood, but eventually I use the cables that I already have and I change them so I do not change much where I take the power

For the tip for Italy I would spend a lot of disputation with even the risk of customs :-(

I was looking though that the strips I found have the WS2812b controller but they are not RGB GRBs, are they okay?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking though that the strips I found have the WS2812b controller but they are not RGB GRBs, are they okay?

I don't understand this. WS2812b LEDs all use the same protocol. The Corsair devices also use this protocol. It's a single-wire for control with 5V power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I am going to undertake this small project possibly this weekend if the stuff shows up.

I currently have 6 LL120 Fans and 4 Corsair LED strips in my setup. I'd like to replace the 40 LED's on the Corsair strips with 96 LED's from the WS2812B LED Strips.

Now when connecting to the Commander Pro I know it has 3 pins, power, data, and ground.

Now when powering the LED Strips I would just give them 5v direct from the PSU and feed them Ground and Data from the Commander Pro, and that's it?

I think that is what I got from reading over these posts, but there is so much info that it gets confusing. I wish someone who's done this project would make a how to video.

If I can get those interior LED strips to work inside the case then I'm going to run a LNP outside the case with a regular usb cable to connect LED Strips on my desk to get those to match my case profiles. I Think that would be pretty neat, but first I just need confirmation on what I stated was correct.

Thanks!

I would strongly recommend that you limit the number of LEDs that are directly powered from a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro channel to 60.

Otherwise you may draw too much current and blow a fuse.

You can, however, hook the channel to an RGB LED Fan Hub and power the LEDs through that. In fact, with a bit of custom cabling, I currently have 240 LEDs (24 Corsair strips) running off of a single Lighting Channel. Each group of 6 strips is identical - so they are mirrored. But that works and works well.

See my signature for details on how to make your own connectors.

I would strongly recommend that you limit the number of LEDs that are directly powered from a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro channel to 60.

You can, however, hook the channel to an RGB LED Fan Hub and power the LEDs through that. In fact, with a bit of custom cabling, I currently have 240 LEDs (24 Corsair strips) running off of a single Lighting Channel. Each group of 6 strips is identical - so they are mirrored. But that works and works well.

I watched your video last week on making cables, that's the easy part. And the reason I chose 96 LED's was because 6 Corsair LL fans are 96 LEDS as each fan has 16, but now thinking about that it has a fan hub which has it's own power source so that wouldn't be good just to plug straight into the commander pro. Glad you mentioned that.

Could you go into more detail about your 240 LEDS on the channel?

You have a 2nd RGB Fan Hub? And are you using official corsair strips? or WS2812B LED Strips?

• 4 weeks later...

DevBiker, would I be safe powering this strip directly through a LNP channel or will I need to power this off a separate 5v power source/RGB fan hub?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG49QKD

If I was to blow the fuse in the LNP, is the fuse replaceable? I am capable of soldering if need be.

Thanks!

So I went for it and they do work fine most of the time but periodically, the LEDs randomly go full white for a minute or so then go back to the regular programming. I'm not sure why they are doing this, when it happens I do notice the first LED in the chain does slightly flicker RGB coloring but the rest are full white. The other weird thing is if I turn the lighting channel off in iCUE, I will see individual LED's flash a random color periodically like they are receiving data from something. It really makes no sense. Has anyone else experienced this?

LED's will only stay at white, full intensity, when connected to lighting node pro, but work perfect if connected to commander pro.

I have this led strip - WS2812B 5V 5050 RGB LED Strip 5meter/150 leds - https://www.ebay.com/itm/WS2812B-5V-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-1-5M-30-60-144-150-300-Leds-Individual-Addressable/143041585722?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=442005733324&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I cut the strip to be 40 LED's, the same as 4 lengths of Corsair led strips. I ran a separate 5v power wire from the PC power supply and have the ground + data connected through the lighting channel connector. If I connect these to a lighting node pro, they will only light up white full intensity. I can't turn them off or change anything via software. I've tried both link and icue. Node is flashed with latest firmware. If I connect the strip to a 3-pin lighting channel on the corsair commander pro, they work perfect, full RGB. Anyone know why? I've tried multiple node pro's on 2 different systems, they only light up white.

I can get them to work and run the profile I have set in iCUE through the LNP but they periodically start randomly flashing red and blue then they go full white briefly and then go back to the set profile. I believe it’s some sort of interference or ripple in the data feed because if I lightly touch a bare data wire with my finger or the metal of a screwdriver it goes back to working perfectly without glitching. The solder joints all seem to be good so I don’t think it’s a loose connection. I believe it needs a resistor or capacitor on the line but I’m not sure which one or how it should be connected.

I can get them to work and run the profile I have set in iCUE through the LNP but they periodically start randomly flashing red and blue then they go full white briefly and then go back to the set profile. I believe it’s some sort of interference or ripple in the data feed because if I lightly touch a bare data wire with my finger or the metal of a screwdriver it goes back to working perfectly without glitching. The solder joints all seem to be good so I don’t think it’s a loose connection. I believe it needs a resistor or capacitor on the line but I’m not sure which one or how it should be connected.

Update:

I installed a 470 Ohm resistor on the data wire between the LNP and the lighting strip and it appears to have fixed the issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there, late to the thread, but hopefully people are still lurking it. :) Hopefully this hasn't already been answered, lots of info in this thread and I've done my best to read it all! :) I'm confused about this quote above. Why are we limited to 60 leds on a single channel? I was able to daisy chain 9 corsair rgb strips on a single channel with no problem by setting it LL fans on the node pro in the icue lighting setup screen. I had two additional strips connected to the second channel. Everything works fine for me. What's the problem exactly? I'd imagine if it's not going to work, it would have failed fast? Or is this something that would give me a problem given enough time? Could it be that the latest revisions of the LNP can support more than the previously recommended 2A or 60 leds per channel?

Edited by djhexx

Why are we limited to 60 leds on a single channel? I was able to daisy chain 9 corsair rgb strips on a single channel with no problem by setting it LL fans on the node pro in the icue lighting setup screen. I had two additional strips connected to the second channel. Everything works fine for me. What's the problem exactly? I'd imagine if it's not going to work, it would have failed fast? Or is this something that would give me a problem given enough time? Could it be that the latest revisions of the LNP can support more than the previously recommended 2A or 60 leds per channel?

Voltage drop is the main issue... try setting all strips to bright white.. you'll find the last few strips wont light correctly.,, been there done this my self lol..

Voltage drop is the main issue... try setting all strips to bright white.. you'll find the last few strips wont light correctly.,, been there done this my self lol..

I just tried using the instant lighting settings on white. No issues...

• 1 month later...
Hello there, late to the thread, but hopefully people are still lurking it. :) Hopefully this hasn't already been answered, lots of info in this thread and I've done my best to read it all! :) I'm confused about this quote above. Why are we limited to 60 leds on a single channel? I was able to daisy chain 9 corsair rgb strips on a single channel with no problem by setting it LL fans on the node pro in the icue lighting setup screen. I had two additional strips connected to the second channel. Everything works fine for me. What's the problem exactly? I'd imagine if it's not going to work, it would have failed fast? Or is this something that would give me a problem given enough time? Could it be that the latest revisions of the LNP can support more than the previously recommended 2A or 60 leds per channel?

The LNP has a fuse. It can blow. While the exact amperage rating for the fuse is unknown, I do know that there's a fuse. Furthermore, as Zotty noted, you'll get voltage drop. We see this on the 1000D when you connect a full six strips to the front panel LEDs.

If you want to go over 2A, that's on you. But don't complain if/when you blow the fuse.

• 4 weeks later...

Could use some assistance - I'm fairly sure I fried my CoPro.

Current setup:

Commander Pro connected to motherboard

h150i pro (pump connected to USB on CoPro)

Lighting Node Pro (connected to USB on CoPro)

RGB Fan hub connected via 2-conductor wire to Lighting Node Pro

3x LL120 fans connected to RGB hub (channels 1-3)

Was working great up to this point.

Using some of DevBiker's invaluable how-to's (and a little overeagerness on my part), I attempted to modify & connect approximately 58" (87 LEDs) of this - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVR6W71 - by modifying the plug end to 3-pin Molex and connecting to an LED channel on the CoPro.

Now, everything connected to the Commander Pro does not show up in iCUE. When adding the Molex connector to the RGB strip, I just kept the configuration the same from a Corsair strip (see attached image). I've attempted plugging in just one standard Corsair strip into LED port 1 and 2 (individually) and still nothing is being recognized.

Any guidance? I have no issue going and getting another CoPro, aside from the fact that the closest MicroCenter is like an hour away.

20190517_193413.thumb.jpg.e4774fd08faaf19df8f01f02f29e5b5c.jpg

First, more than ~60 LEDs on a single channel is no bueno. You can blow a fuse. Now, that should just cause the Lighting Channel to no longer power anything connected to it. Typically, you can connect an RGB Fan LED Hub to it (which don't use the power) and that'll work fine. (This is not theoretical btw. I've killed a NoPro or two in my time ... RIP). That said, you can power up to 120 LEDs from an RGB Fan LED Hub. That's a bit trickier because you need to jump pin 2 and pin 3 so that the signal is fed back to the Fan Hub. Well, in your case, you may not need to - pin 3 is Data Out on the Fan Hub.

Second, the Lighting Channels don't "recognize" anything. You do have to configure it. You need to go into Lighting Setup and set the number of type of fan/strip.

As far as the Lighting Channels not recognizing anything, I could have been a little more clear. Nothing was lighting up when plugged into them. And as far as configuring it in iCUE, I can't - nothing connected to the Commander Pro is showing up in iCUE with the new configuration. In addition, the CoPro isn't showing in iCUE either

I can cut that strip in half and just put one half on CoPro LED channel 1 and another half on channel 2, but that doesn't solve my problem of iCUE not finding the CoPro.

Any other words of advice? Thanks in advance!

Ah, so the CoPro doesn't show in iCUE. That's a problem.

First thing that I'd check would be to make sure that it's on a proper USB port and all the pins are on correctly. It's super-easy to have them off-by-one and it's not always immediately obvious that this is the case. Again, this isn't theoretical.

From there - check the power. Make sure that it's plugged in to SATA (not an adapter) and try putting it on another connector - ideally another line.

Take a look in USBDeView as well (Download USBDeView from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) to see if it "sees" the CoPro.

It could be, however, that the CoPro is a sacrifice to the Gods of Science Experiments. But let's eliminate other options.

1) Both the Commander Pro and h150i show as "not connected" in USBDeView.

2) Pinout on my Molex was wrong.

3) Between the time the Commander Pro/everything connected to it was working and now, nothing has changed regarding which USB header I plugged into on the mobo or the SATA power connector.

Pretty sure it's the Commander Pro. Will replace and report back.

OK, replacing the CoPro got me back to square 1 (no DIY RGB strips, but everything is now showing up in iCUE. Do you think I fried the RGB Strip with the wrong pinout, or can I correct the pinout on the Molex and shorten and try again with the same (yet shorter) strip?

SUCCESS

but only partial. I think I figured out why, and I'm hoping my hunch is true -

These LEDs are directional. In that, if you solder the leads on the "end" of the string and attempt to plug them in, it won't work. The only string that works is the one from the start of the spool. The other 3 sections don't, but the common thing among the 3 is the cables/Molex connectors I added or modified (end of the spool was modified to turn a female connector into a male) were all against the direction noted on the strips.

Back downstairs to the soldering iron