Corsair Community

Power supply takes time to warm up?

Hekachu

Hello Corsair forums!

I recently built a gaming computer with a Kingston HyperX 3k 120Gb SSD hard drive and an older 500Gb 7200rpm HDD, along with a Corsair TX650 power supply. It seems that the longer I keep the computer shut down, the longer it takes to start Windows 7. If I close the pc and start it again in 10 minutes, every program loads at SSD-speeds (about one second or so) after signing in on my profile in windows. However, if I keep the pc shut down for an hour or more, it takes remarkably longer to load every program (about half a minute or more.. I know these are not terrible times, but I bought the SSD for a reason).

I posted a thread on the tomshardware forum, and got advice it might be the power supply "taking time to warm up"... I've never heard of anything like this, and didn't find any similar problems on the internet, but could this be the case?

Also, last sunday I was working on an essay for a few hours on my computer, when I realized there was a relatively loud, constant buzzing coming from my computer. I closed my pc and the buzzing continued. I'm sure that the noise came from the power supply. The only way to make it stop was to turn the power switch on the PSU, but the noise continued right away when I turned the switch on again. I removed the power cord from my surge protector and plugged it straight into a wall outlet -> no buzzing. After this i plugged the power cord back into the surge protector: no buzz. I'm not that concerned since I haven't heard the noise since then, so I guess it was just a random occasional noise?

Other than this, the pc has worked fine, but the windows startup times are a little annoying. Any ideas?

I posted a thread on the tomshardware forum, and got advice it might be the power supply "taking time to warm up"... I've never heard of anything like this, and didn't find any similar problems on the internet, but could this be the case?

Other than this, the pc has worked fine, but the windows startup times are a little annoying. Any ideas?

Yeah, umm, No,a PSU doesn't need time to warm up. It's either on or off.

I would run ATTO benchmark utility on your SSD and see if it's performing up to par. But even a failing PSU isn't going to affect your load times.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, umm, No,a PSU doesn't need time to warm up. It's either on or off.

I would run ATTO benchmark utility on your SSD and see if it's performing up to par. But even a failing PSU isn't going to affect your load times.

Sorry, I've been really busy studying lately, haven't had much spare time...

Anyway, I ran the ATTO benchmark utility on my SSD, which is the drive C, and got these results:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/278/a/4/benchmark_results_for_forum__not_art__by_hekachuh-d6p9nok.png

They look about right to me, if I'm interpreting this correctly? About 500 MB/sec for both read and write speeds is what this SSD should be capable of.

Archived