Corsair Community

Two similar model numbers

logman

I hate my first question to be a stupid one :o: but I'm upgrading my RAM this week and would be driven crazy if I bought the wrong one. After using the tool to find my RAM I settled on getting the (TWIN2X4096-6400C5). I stumbled later upon the same model number but with a C on the end (TWIN2X4096-6400C5C) but this does not appear in my compatible list. I can however find them both on the Corsair site as separate listings and I can add them separately to the 'compare' list.

Is this the same RAM or is there a difference? Are both compatible with my Gigabyte G31M-ES2L ? Does it seem like a good choice?

No gaming but multi-tabling online Poker, movies etc.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I too used the RAM config tool on the Corsair website to find the best RAM for my Dell XPS 720 H2C and it told me to use the TWIN2X4096-6400C5, which is what the Dell upgrade website suggested as well. Then I went to Amazon to buy it and was alerted to a newer part number TWIN2X4096-6400C5C. Then I found the TWIN2X4096-6400C5CDHX and I thought, what's the diff?

The helpful folks at Corsair tech support quickly responded to my inquiry to confirm that all three models have the same performance and compatibility with the only visible difference being the shape of their heat sinks. It appears as thought the C5 has the smallest and the C5CDHX has the largest.

So if size matters to you and you have the clearance, get the DHX, otherwise, get whatever is cheapest.

• 1 year later...

What ram did you end up going with, and did it work with 8gb?

I too used the RAM config tool on the Corsair website to find the best RAM for my Dell XPS 720 H2C and it told me to use the TWIN2X4096-6400C5, which is what the Dell upgrade website suggested as well. Then I went to Amazon to buy it and was alerted to a newer part number TWIN2X4096-6400C5C. Then I found the TWIN2X4096-6400C5CDHX and I thought, what's the diff?

The helpful folks at Corsair tech support quickly responded to my inquiry to confirm that all three models have the same performance and compatibility with the only visible difference being the shape of their heat sinks. It appears as thought the C5 has the smallest and the C5CDHX has the largest.

So if size matters to you and you have the clearance, get the DHX, otherwise, get whatever is cheapest.

Archived