Corsair Community

Corsair P256 CMFSSD-256GBG2D / Mac OS X / MBP

picea

hi i recently bought the P256 CMFSSD-256GBG2D and the performance on mac os x is really poor. i hope it is a driver or controller issue in the late 2008 macbook pro´s. exact model is a macbookpro5,1

example: i tried to install xcode 3.1.2, at the same time i tried to open safari, the complete computer stuck for 30 seconds. it happens everytime if i do 2 things where one thing is a heavy file operation.

hope it will be better in future mac os releases.

the good thing:

on windows and linux this device is really fast

so ramguy, any advice :)

thanks in advance

picea

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you do a clean install of Mac OS X, or did you clone your original drive using super duper or carbon clone? I've read that using cloning software often doesn't work well with SSDs. I have the exact same macbook as you, and did a clean install of OS X on the P256. I haven't had any performance problems, but did have a small number of crc errors that haven't increased since the install.

i did of course a clean install.

now i put the ssd into a dell latitude notebook with intel sata controller installed a hackintosh version and everything runs fine so it has definately something to do with the nvidia sata controller in the mbp 5,1

it is not a bad ram module. it has something to do how the kernel handles memory stuff when you put more than 3gb into the mbp 5,1. and the nvidia driver for the mcp79 seems to be buggy when it runs with more than 3gb ram. its really sad that apple switched from a stable intel platform to a buggy nvidia platform, i also tested the ssd in a 4,1 mbp with 4 GB ram, and again no problems. the 4,1 mbp has an intel sata controller.

really sad :(

did you read the whole thread? i wrote that i installed a fresh mac os x 10.5.6 from the retail 10.5.6 dvd. and i also wrote that this problem did not occur if i run my mbp 5,1 with 2 gb ram. so please answer only if you have some fundamental information regarding this problem.

• Corsair Employee
He did read the whole thread and his answer was correct, from what you have posted and as long as that is a retail version of the Disk I would contact apple and see if they can send you an up-dated Disk if available and or if they have any driver updates that may solve that issue.

I'm sorry if my answer did not provide any value. I am the Applications Guy that goes to test all of our hardware at Apple Labs Infinite Loop Cupertino. The main statement I wanted to make was with the latest OS you should not have any memory issues.

ok thank you guys for your answers. it must be definately an issue with the nvidia chipset. i tested the ssd with the same memory in a dell latitude and again no problems. i already openend a bugreport at apple. but thanks so far for your help.

hello again,

i talked to a support guy at apple today after not getting any answer at bugreport.apple.com. the support guy said i will take care of the problem. after waiting 40 mins on the telephone with nice music i got no answer so i hung up the phone, the call cost me 5 euros. 5 euros for nothing. conclusion for me is that nvidia really sucks hard. i wish back my old 4,1 mbp with intelchipset.

what ive tested in the meantime,

the 4gb ram of my mbp in another notebook, works.

in several workstations, works.

i love this ssd and start to hate the crappy mbp 5,1

angry and frustrated about apple

picea

• Corsair Employee
I am not sure if we have tested that specific system I will try to find out but I know we have tested several systems at Apple and had no issues as long as we used the latest version of Leopard

Archived