Corsair Community

[An unusual setup] Question about Corsair H100i Power

stebrick

I am planning to buy ASRock H370M ITXac and H100i AIO, which will form part of the 1 case 2 system (ATX & ITX) drawing power from Phanteks Revolt X

I dont want the AIO to draw power from the SATA of the PSU directly. Otherwise (correct me if i am wrong) the pump of the AIO will keep running even though the ITX is not powered up (as this PSU will keep sending power to both ATX and ITX if either of them is turned on).

So...my plan is to connect the male SATA cable of H100i AIO to the Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) on this motherboard. I know my plan is impossible per se. However, from the manual of this motherboard, it states that this connector supports the maximum 2A (24W) fan power.

So... I wonder whether there is any adapter that can be used to connect H100i to the motherboard and draw power directly from it. Like...say, a female SATA cable to 4-pin connector/3 connector: https://www.amazon.com/Eyeboot-Computer-Connector-Y-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B01M28IY5X

Also, if my plan can be pulled off:-

1. Is it advisable to do so? Would there be any downside (e.g. as to pump speed / power / control)?

2. Should I use 3-pin or 4 pin for connecting it to the motherboard?

3. Could I still connect the other PWM cable to the cpu fan header on the motherboard? How do i control my pump speed (via pump header or CPU fan header)??

It's not my preference to adjust the pump speed manually. I would rather leave it at max or default speed reacting to CPU temp.

Nobody?

Back to a basic important question which i forgot to ask: Would H100i (fan and pump) keep running if the motherboard ceases to provide signal but the pump still receives power from SATA?

Edit: also the CPU already ceased to operate

This is a really bad idea, tbh.

That cooler uses both the 5V and the 12V rail from the SATA connector. You won't get that from a fan header. Not to mention that you'll likely void your warranty.

And the cooler will continue to run if it has power and no connection.

Archived