Corsair Community

XMS3 fails manual clock setting to 8.00

SecondLife

System:

Corsair: XMS3 32GB

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

AMD 8120

My motherboard keeps returning an error for overclocking memory failures whenever the memory clock is upped from the default 6.66 (1333) to 8.00 (1600) which is the rated clock of the modules.

My motherboard came back from Gigabyte and checked out Ok. Voltages nominal.

A memory module was found to be defective by utilities from this site and Corsair replaced the pair with a set with the same version as my other pair (4x8Gb)

My CPU doesn't show any signs of heat damage, and the pins have never been bend or damaged. The paste is non-conductive, and pins are clean.

Power Supply has never heat failed.

MB generates the same Memory Overclocking fail whether peripherals are plugged in or not.

What could be causing the MB to generate a Memory error ONLY when the Clock is raised from the default setting?

It's an AMD based gigabyte motherboard. While it has an Easy Over Clocker EOC option, changing the memory clock from the default 6.66/1333 to 8.00/1600 whether manually or manually storing it as an EOC setting, generates an Overclocking failure error from the motherboard.

XMP Extensible Metadata Platform? This could relate to Photoshop, but my motherboard doesn't have an XMP BIOS option.

Intel Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP) is an SPD extension that basically all enthusiast memory on market uses for their rated specifications. Gigabytes EOCP is a workaround to enable XMP even on AMD motherboards, that don't have native support for these profiles. Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems you got the short end of the stick and might have to manually adjust timings and stuff.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cmx8gx3m2a1600c9

States this kit is XMP enabled at DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.65V and otherwise will run at DDR3-1333. Manually setting the memory ratio, voltage and primary timings, is what i would try next. If that also fails you might have to adjust the secondary timings as well. You can get these from Aida64 (Motherboard > SPD) for example.

Actually it turned out to be the <AUTO> setting on the Memory Clock Voltage. If the Memory Timing was increased from the default 6.66 to 8.00, and the Memory Clock Voltage was left at the default <AUTO> then the board seems to have failed to pick up the need for a Voltage change, the Memory fails on the low voltage, and the MB picked up the fail as an overclocking error. So the Memory Voltage NEEDED to be MANUALLY set for 1.65Volts. Shouts out to emisarry42 for posting the specs, so they could be checked against the failing defaults. :O

Archived