Corsair Community

Liquid cooler air transport question

Talos

Hi all,

I am on a trip abroad and found a good deal for an H115i RGB Platinum so I bought it. However I am now in some trouble thinking how I can transfer it home. My concern is safety of the cooler but also the problem of not able to carry liquids in my carry on luggage. I want to transfer the cooler on its original Corsair packaging. I have two options:

1) Put it on my checked luggage. I will center the box in my luggage and make sure its tight all around with clothing. In that case, do you think the expected luggage dropping would be okay for the cooler? is there a risk of damaging the unit?

2) Take it on my carry-on luggage. In that case I face the risk that the security would read the 'Liquid cooler' label and may not allow me to bring it on board? In that case I risk to be forced to drop it.

What would be your suggestion?

Hi buddy.. firstly..

where abroad? as there is no such cooler as the H110i Platinum.... H100i and H115i yes.

i would put it in checked luggage my self.. but carry on is obviously safest.. could call airport in advance and ask?

Hello! and thank you very much for the reply.

My mistake..It's the H115i RGB Platinum. I'm traveling between two European capitals.

Yes, this is what I also thought to call airport security. I will do that tomorrow. Otherwise I guess I will prefer to take the checked luggage option than risk to throw the product. It would be helpful if we could have a statement from Corsair about the liquid content of the coolers and whether the liquid is over 100 ml.

As stylish as airport baggage handler jokes were 20-30 years ago, those guys have nothing on my average UPS/Fed Ex delivery person who slows down just enough to launch the package via slingshot toward my building. The outside of the boxes always looks like they have been around the world in the boiler room of a steamer and they are still alright. I would not worry about impact or puncture damage. The more concerning aspect would be a non-pressurized luggage bay or cargo hold. No guarantees on that with cold temps and increased pressure. That should only be a problem on smaller aircraft. Not sure if you know what kind of plane you'll be on, but as long as it doesn't have propellers you are probably good.

As for the carry on plan, there is some risk. They would be crazy not to flag you. Best case scenario is you open it up and try to demonstrate what it is. Worst case scenario is well... let's skip that. If we see you on the news, we'll know.

Haha! The delivery guys are for sure something we can't see most of the times like we can see the airport handlers. When I received my H115i a few days ago, there was not an extra box with foam pieces. It was shipped in its original Corsair box enveloped in a thin packaging brown paper. I don't know if this is the way Corsair ships these coolers, but if it is, and considering the delivery couriers just throw these boxes, being inside my checked luggage could be even more safe.

I know in what type of airplane I am flying. It will be an Airbus A320 (IAE engines).

As far as I can find on google, the baggage compartment of the A320 should be pressurized and temp regulated, maybe colder but not freezing, in that case I don't think there should be any risk.

And yes, I don't want to be forced to throw my new H115i. That's not an option.

Archived