Corsair Community

Crystal 460X RGB Top Radiator

SeriousTom

So I don't know what to think, some websites say the Crystal 460X RGB case supports up to 280mm radiator in the top but the instruction pdf manual says 240mm for the top.

The pictures look like it has holes for 280mm

Will a NZXT X60 fit ?

It is

140mm wide x 52mm with fans x 312.5mm lenght.

No, you can't put a 280 up top and you need to be very choosy with a 240mm as well. The issue is depth and the top is very shallow. So while it can accomodate a single pair of 140mm fans, 50-55mm thickness will put it into the top of the motherboard. Even with a 240, you need to be very careful with anything that comes off the board, like top heatsinks or memory modules.

A 280mm will fit the front intake and that is what I would recommend for that case.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks C-attack .. similar challenge myself. Looking to purcahse a 460X, a H115i and Corsair Vengeance LED RAM on a Asus Maximus III Hero Alpha board.. so pretty concerned as I DO NOT want to put the RAD at the front :( Guess I may not be able to go a 460X ..

• 2 weeks later...
I want to buy the 460X as well when it's released. I have the 750D now, and i'm wondering:

I use the H105 cpu cooler and Corsair Dominator platinums.

Will the rad+memory fit if the rad is on top?

I think it's pretty doubtful. If you look at the glamour shots on the product page, you'll see an standard 27mm H100i + 25mm fans just barely clear some Vengeance LED. The H105 at 38mm + 25mm will surely collide with the even taller Dominators. Too much on both ends.

I think it's pretty doubtful. If you look at the glamour shots on the product page, you'll see an standard 27mm H100i + 25mm fans just barely clear some Vengeance LED. The H105 at 38mm + 25mm will surely collide with the even taller Dominators. Too much on both ends.

That's what I thought. But the 120 fanmount on top is a bit offset, so thats why i'm asking, if anyone have actually tried this and can confirm it, lets hope someone does :)

I have 2 modules trident z (not very tall) with msi z170 m7 motherboard. Its possible or better search another radiator?

I think that will work. I believe Trident Z are slightly shorter (44mm) than the Vengeance LED modules (50mm) featured in all the promo shots. If you google up some 460X shots, any photo with a radiator in the top will be a 240 and LED modules. That should give you a rough idea of the proportions.

I think that will work. I believe Trident Z are just slightly shorter (44mm) than the Vengeance LED modules (50mm) featured in all the promo shots. If you google up some 460X shots, any photo with a radiator in the top will be a 240 and LED modules. That should give you a rough idea of the proportions.

Ok, thankx. The case comes to Spain in mid-November, so I get to wait. I hope I have not problems with the PS, because it is litle bigger xD

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... that is the trouble with promotional shots. You never know if they are staged. I am now noticing nearly all of the pre-release shots feature an X99 board with dual memory banks. I can't believe the Z170 would have its slots in a higher position on the board, but I suppose it is possible.

Is there anything causing the radiator mount to sit lower in the case? Fans are below, radiator above? Unfortunately, it seems we are back to the beginning and you need to stick with radiators in the front panel only. Another radiator from anyone else wouldn't make a difference. This is as thin as you can get.

Looking closer at the promotional shots it is a LGA2011 board with ram slots each side and the one where they have the rad mounted to the roof has Vengeance LPX ram not LED ram and the LPX is a low profile ram. I tried mounting it to the front but the tubes from the rad stick out a fair way from the side of the case which would make it hard to put the side cover on. I am going to contact Corsair and ask if the LPX ram fits with top mount before I buy it as I already have the Gskill ram which I cant return as it has been opened so dont want to waste anymore money.

The thing is the radiator fans will hang over the modules, no matter how short the memory sticks. The real reason the promo shot 'works' is because the entire assembly is just barely above the entire RAM module. While all of these are ATX boards and fit the standard pegs, the exact location of some components may vary a little. From what you are describing, the RAM slot must be higher on the board than the X99 in the pictures and thus no module, no matter how short, is going to work. I don't know what board you have, but there are some variances on Z170. There were a lot of complaints on some boards about the RAM slots being to close to PCI-E #1 and consequently requiring the removal of the GPU to access RAM. Perhaps your board countered that by moving it up, with this as the consequence.

We are pretty much back at the start and that is you need to be very careful with anything on the top of this case. It's very shallow and it was designed with a front radiator or air tower in mind. Too many obstacles in the top. Your 240mm will fit in the front. The art of radiator hose shaping can be elusive, but try giving either the block or the front radiator a 360 degree twist prior to mounting. This should take some length of of the hoses. It might take a few tries to get it how you like, but it certainly is attainable.

A little easier to see in green. The module are fully under the radiator fan. A taller module might look strange, but it is the relative position on the board that is at issue.

http://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/responsive/img/crystal/gallery_thumb_1.jpg

Here is another angle, just barely clearing the heat sink. It would seem you need to measure RAM slot clearance to the top of the board before trying to put anything except 25mm fans on top.

http://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/responsive/img/fan/gallery_full_8.jpg

Thanks guys, this is very useful. Glad I read this before opening anything. I have an MSI Z170A Gaming Pro with G. Skill Ripjaws V and the H100i v2. I don't know if I should try to go for it or exchange the RAM (or case?). Any input is very welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in what you did vatese,

I'm so disappointed in the room in this case I could spit. I have the hybrid EVGA 1080, and the radiator in the top back hits the mobo header if you install the radiator in the push out of the case setup. I had to mount my fan in between the case and radiator pull style. When I added the push fan on it, it covered up the LED ram, so I took it back off. Then I picked up the H100i V2 and had the same problem. I had to install the radiator naked in the top of the case, and put the fans OUTSIDE the case on top. I have a EVGA Powerlink to redirect the power into the vid card, so front mount will not work unless I don't use it. The setup is working, but the radiator screws were too short to install wire guards for the fans, so until I pick up some new screws, I have to hope to not lose a finger. It looks great, but it's as if no one from Corsair actually tried to put a computer together in the case with any radiator before they rolled them out?! I mean the 120 doesn't fit in back and the 240 doesn't fit in top. I have no idea what they're talking about saying a 280 would work, there's just no way. I mean you can put 2 140mm fans on top without an issue, I had a 212 cooler in it with a pair of 140s up top without an issue, but not with a rad, no way. Would love to see/hear about how you guys installed cooling in this thing, I really wanted it to work, but there really just isn't enough room that I can see.

• 1 month later...

Alright guys, so after reading the previous posts it seems that Corsair made a case that cannot accomodate the use of their own Dominator Platinum RAM.

Accurate observation? If so.. that sucks. But I don't see why or how RAM height could be a problem.

It seems to be a case of what was previously mentions: the motherboard RAM slot placement in regard to how high they sit on the board.

With that said, it shouldn't be a problem so it appears that Corsair screwed the proverbial pooch in attempt to make something pretty.

Don't put a radiator in the top of the case and you can use whatever RAM modules you like. When you stick a 240mm radiator in the roof, it extends below the top line of the motherboard and anything coming off of it represents an issue. The top of the case is shallow. If you want a taller one, that's the 570x.

Archived