Corsair Community

Obsidian 800D USB3 front panel

levicki

After being authorized for an RMA for a broken front door back in March 2013 (Case #5751555) and having never received any communication afterwards I decided to go through a hassle of ordering parts which I needed and back in Novenber 2013 I ordered (Order #100091248) some case upgrades for my Obsidian 800D case which I absolutely loved so far.

I ordered SATA6G backplane, new front door, and an USB3 front panel upgrade, part number CC800D-USB3KIT which is the subject of this thread and my frustration.

Since Corsair does not ship to Serbia I had to order to a friend's address in the USA and then he sent the parts in the original packaging to me via FedEx.

I got those parts today and I am happy with the front door and SATA6G backplane.

But I am extremely unhappy... scratch that -- I am pissed off with what I got as a USB3 front panel replacement.

I was expecting to get a USB3 front panel with a connector which plugs into the mainboard USB3 header:

http://s29.postimg.org/szx2dfxuv/USB3_header.jpg

You know, kind of like the one pictured here for a different, much cheaper Corsair case:

http://s29.postimg.org/d0eetw1t3/proper_USB3_header.jpg

But instead I got this joke of a front panel "upgrade" for my $350 case:

http://s29.postimg.org/rnjypapt3/Corsair_USB3_front_panel_joke.jpg

Now, you could say how I didn't do my homework before purchase, but the online shop page did not disclose this information at the time of purchase and it is not reasonable to expect buyers to read company blog to find out about product features.

Ordering those parts has cost me $53.31 plus ~$100 for FedEx shipping from USA to Serbia.

Instead of proper USB3 front panel I got $15 USB3 EXTENSION CABLE.

Seriously Corsair engineers, what were you thinking???

I did not order this USB3 front header because I am lazy to reach behind the case, but because the USB3 ports on the back side of my case are all taken, and I have an unused onboard USB3 header.

If I wanted an ugly hack in the form of an extension cable going through the entire length of my expensive computer case I could have purchased it much cheaper locally, not to mention that an USB3 hub would have been even better investment.

I am seriously disappointed in Corsair, to the point that I will never, ever buy another Corsair product nor I will recommend your stuff to anyone.

It has been two years and you still sell extension cable instead of proper USB3 front panel. Carefully designed with attention to detail? Features you have to experience to appreciate? Shame on you, Corsair!

Regards,

Igor Levicki

Now, you could say how I didn't do my homework before purchase, but the online shop page did not disclose this information at the time of purchase and it is not reasonable to expect buyers to read company blog to find out about product features.
There's a pic of the USB connectors on the product page.

Seriously Corsair engineers, what were you thinking???
The case came out 5 years ago, before USB 3.0 headers were common on motherboards.

Yes I know, but that is an ugly hack for a $300 case if I ever saw one. It is easier, cheaper and better looking to get a 3.5" USB 3.0 front panel or even an USB 3.0 hub.

Another more important issue is that the provided cable length violates USB 3.0 INTERNAL CONNECTOR AND CABLE SPECIFICATION because it is much longer than allowed:

The maximum cable assembly length shall not exceed 457.2 mm (18”). For most small form factor systems, a 12” is recommended.

There's a pic of the USB connectors on the product page.

Sorry, but that information is not displayed prominently enough in the online store.

The picture where the connectors are visible can be found only on Learn tab which is actually a blog post explaining installation procedure.

First, it didn't even cross my mind to look there because I have a lot of experience in PC building and I don't need instructions for trivial things such as front panel replacement.

Second, I would never think a company like Corsair would be as bold as to literally cheat you out of two rear USB3 ports to provide them on the front panel -- front panel is meant for providing (accessible) extra connectivity for INTERNAL, onboard connectors, not to serve as an extension cable for rear jacks.

Would it be ok for you if you also had to plug front panel headphone and microphone jacks into rear jacks of your sound card or mainboard thus taking away your speaker output and line input? Because that is what this thing does -- it does not provide extra connectivity as it should.

The case came out 5 years ago, before USB 3.0 headers were common on motherboards.

And I am not talking about the case itself (although even the case itself has been upgraded with USB 3.0), but about the fake USB 3.0 front panel replacement they sell for $15.

Obsidian 800D was showcased on Computex in June 2009. Onboard USB 3.0 header specification exists from January 2010. Fast forward to January 2014 and four years later Corsair still doesn't sell the proper accessory which meets the USB 3.0 specification.

It's not about my $15, it's not even about me not having those USB 3.0 ports right now, it is about being totally disappointed into a company which I held in a very high regard and whose products I used to recommend to everyone.

I simply can't fathom how can they still keep selling this fake, non-compliant, poorly engineered, front panel replacement and screwing the people who paid dearly for their flagship "Designed for Years of Performance" computer case. That is clearly not the way to get repeat customers amongst true hardware enthusiasts.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree I ordered the USB 3.0 front panel and SATA 6.0 case upgrades when i got my Obsidian 800D and to say that i was disapointed that they used USB3.0 cables instead of an internal header would be am understatement.

Currently i have to route the cables through the PC, out of one of the WC rubber grommets and plugged into my mobos USB 3.0 connections, not ideal, and whilst yes there is an adapter for this job i am not a fan of using those as they make the case look extra messy.

Though i will add the SATA panel is a big improvement over the original

I have to agree I ordered the USB 3.0 front panel and SATA 6.0 case upgrades when i got my Obsidian 800D and to say that i was disapointed that they used USB3.0 cables instead of an internal header would be am understatement.

Currently i have to route the cables through the PC, out of one of the WC rubber grommets and plugged into my mobos USB 3.0 connections, not ideal, and whilst yes there is an adapter for this job i am not a fan of using those as they make the case look extra messy.

Though i will add the SATA panel is a big improvement over the original

Yes, SATA panel is ok.

As for USB 3.0, routing cables to the back side is not an option for me because all my USB ports at the back are already in use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wired View Post

posted by levicki:

And I am not talking about the case itself (although even the case itself has been upgraded with USB 3.0), but about the fake USB 3.0 front panel replacement they sell for $15.

The "upgraded "case uses the same exact pass through cable set.

Obsidian 800D was showcased on Computex in June 2009. Onboard USB 3.0 header specification exists from January 2010. Fast forward to January 2014 and four years later Corsair still doesn't sell the proper accessory which meets the USB 3.0 specification.

Yes, USB3 may have appeared on some boards , but that was still long before USB3 really became mainstream. At the time the use of Pass-through cables was common...even in other cases

If anyone has looked up the specs for USB 3 cable and compare the

upgrade kit. You would know that the USB 3 upgrade kit is USB 2 only.

USB 2 has 4 pins and USB 3 most have 9 pins for a non-power connector

11 pins for a powered one.

This is not a USB 3 upgrade kit!

:eek: :confused: :mad: :evil:

602638752_USB3.jpg.837b62ebd1e042df3c376e01366f16fe.jpg

The "upgraded "case uses the same exact pass through cable set.

If that is true, then that makes me even more disappointed in Corsair as a brand.

Yes, USB3 may have appeared on some boards , but that was still long before USB3 really became mainstream. At the time the use of Pass-through cables was common...even in other cases

And before Penicillin really became mainstream dying from bacterial infections was common. What was your point again?

Or to put it this way -- how does what was common 5 years ago justify the current situation with Corsair still shamelessly selling what amounts to a $15 USB 3.0 extension cord, and $300 case wihich deprives you of two rear USB 3.0 ports if you want the ones on their non-compliant joke of a front panel to work?!?

Or to put it this way -- how does what was common 5 years ago justify the current situation with Corsair still shamelessly selling what amounts to a $15 USB 3.0 extension cord, and $300 case wihich deprives you of two rear USB 3.0 ports if you want the ones on their non-compliant joke of a front panel to work?!?

I suspect that ALL of the USB 3 front panels were produced 3-4 years ago, or shortly after that. The only reason that they cost $15 dollars is because they made a ton of them at one time. They probably couldn't justify making a new version for a 5 year old case unless they charged a ridicules amount for it. It's not evil, it's business.

Now, I'm sure if you'd offer to cover the setup/tooling costs, they'd be happy to sell you one.

I guess the fact that so much manufacturing is done offshore, most people are now longer familiar with the economics of manufacturing.

I support all people who complain about external front panel USB 3.0 on Obsidian/Graphite cases as 600t/650D/700/800D... I have 650D and I must sacrifice 2x USB 3.0 on back side to get on front panel...

I still search how to make some modification and is it that possible too cut that 2x1.5m long cables and leave empty place for USB 3.0 on front panel and than to put inside something like this...

http://i.imgur.com/RPGbbCV.jpg

I understand they forgot to make first time, but I don't understand after CORSAIR launch several case more, all of them with normal Front I/O Panel why they simply didn't make similar option for 650D/700/800D and 600T... That is easy, can't cost more than 15-20$ in shop and many people need...

• 2 weeks later...
I suspect that ALL of the USB 3 front panels were produced 3-4 years ago, or shortly after that. The only reason that they cost $15 dollars is because they made a ton of them at one time. They probably couldn't justify making a new version for a 5 year old case unless they charged a ridicules amount for it. It's not evil, it's business.

That is not business -- it is a bad business decision to be short-sighted and stock up on a temporary "solution".

The evil part is to shift the onus for that decision along with the expenses to the customers, especially to those who shelled out $300 for your premium case.

Now, I'm sure if you'd offer to cover the setup/tooling costs, they'd be happy to sell you one.

I am not in the business of making money by selling a case with USB 3.0 front panel -- Corsair is. Instead of investing into it they gamble away the trust they had with their customers by pulling out such cheap dirty tricks.

I guess the fact that so much manufacturing is done offshore, most people are now longer familiar with the economics of manufacturing.

And you seem not to be familiar with manufacturing process today in general.

Do you think Corsair is making power supplies?

No, they order them from Seasonic, it's a well known fact. They just place a Corsair logo on it and tackle a price premium for their brand and packaging. I am sure it's the same with most case parts -- they may be making mechanical parts, but cabling, connectors, fans, LEDs, and buttons are ordered from Chinese companies who are in the business of producing them.

In other words, there is nothing (apart from the obvious lack of honesty and business ethics) preventing Corsair from ordering a batch of proper USB 3.0 cables for their stocked front panels, swapping them by removing and replacing a single screw, and selling real USB 3.0 front panels instead of fake ones.

It's $15 dollar if you order 1000's of them.

Citation needed.

If the missing USB ports are a issue, it probably makes more sense to get one of these:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_81_250&products_id=31449

No, it does not. That is a bracket which is mounted on the BACK side of the case, as opposed to the front panel which is mounted on the FRONT side.

Unless you are suggesting to get Corsair's fake front panel AND that? Which is simply ridiculous beyond belief. Please read USB 3.0 specification which I posted regarding the cable length allowed and you will see that each product on its own is already in violation of the USB 3.0 specification. Connecting both in series would only make it worse.

That is not business -- it is a bad business decision to be short-sighted and stock up on a temporary "solution".

The reality is that in order to get a reasonable price for a component, they have to purchase in large quantity.

And you seem not to be familiar with manufacturing process today in general.

Do you think Corsair is making power supplies?

Not at all. In fact, I imagine that they have no manufacturing capacity. They're probably contracting with third parties for all their products.

In order for them to make any part, I'm sure they need sufficient volume to justify their vendor's setup costs.

In other words, there is nothing (apart from the obvious lack of honesty and business ethics) preventing Corsair from ordering a batch of proper USB 3.0 cables for their stocked front panels, swapping them by removing and replacing a single screw, and selling real USB 3.0 front panels instead of fake ones.

Who is going to pay for all this? Where is this retrofit going to take place? Corsair is responsible for the product they make at time the product is manufactured. They're not responsible for requirements that didn't exist at the time the design was finalized.

No, it does not. That is a bracket which is mounted on the BACK side of the case, as opposed to the front panel which is mounted on the FRONT side.

Unless you are suggesting to get Corsair's fake front panel AND that? Which is simply ridiculous beyond belief. Please read USB 3.0 specification which I posted regarding the cable length allowed and you will see that each product on its own is already in violation of the USB 3.0 specification. Connecting both in series would only make it worse.

I’m not sure that the Intel guide is relevant to this discussion, it’s referencing a cable assembly with a connector that wasn’t prevalent when the 3.0 kit was probably designed.

The actual Universal Serial Bus 3.0 Specification doesn’t specify cable length, (see section 5.5.7), in lieu of performance requirements. These are a function of the conductor gauge. I think the closest thing to a hard limit is the loss on the power conductor: with 20AWG, it’s 5.3M without connectors. The USB-IF Compliance Update dated: October 2010, specifies a maximum length for USB3.0 cables assemblies at 3M, (1M for assemblies with micro connector.)

The Corsair USB 3.0 kit should fall within the specification.

I think you’re vastly over-simplifying the cost and complexity of designing, manufacturing and distributing even a simple part like the 3.0 kit. Particularly, when there is virtually no market and no chance at recouping their investment.

As far as the PCI bracket, my suggestion was to use the front panel connector plugged into the ports on the IO panel of the motherboard and use the PCI bracket to provide addition rear ports.

• 1 month later...
bottom line is corsair in order to profit must think of the wants of the majority and not the wishes of the few...

Really? So those $300 computer cases were designed for the majority? I wasn't aware that people who know nothing about computers and who are buying generic crappy PCs at WallMart or BestBuy were their target audience?

Because that is the only target audience I can imagine for this fake USB 3.0 front panel.

If it was a real USB 3.0 front panel I wouldn't mind if it cost me $25. Hell, I would have even parted with $35 to get a proper panel. In my opinion, it is not so important that Corsair cheated me out of $15 with this fake "patch the long cable to the back and waste two ports" crap -- it is important that they failed to offer the accessory I really needed, regardless of the asking price.

So, the bottom line is actually that the profit was made when they sold me the $300 case, minimal profit was made when they sold me fake USB 3.0 front panel. and the profit would have been made again many times by continuing selling to me, and by getting to sell to the people I would be recommending their products if said front panel wasn't fake. This way, no more profit will be made from me or anyone I can influence not to consider their products.

The reality is that in order to get a reasonable price for a component, they have to purchase in large quantity.

So you are saying that they should not make new 800D cases with a proper front panel then and that the current "solution" is AOK in your book for a price tag of $300?

Or you perhaps think that they could not order proper panels for new batch of 800D cases and add say 10-20% more of those proper panels to the order so they can sell them in the store to those who want a proper solution?

I’m not sure that the Intel guide is relevant to this discussion, it’s referencing a cable assembly with a connector that wasn’t prevalent when the 3.0 kit was probably designed.

It is relevant because Intel is one of USB designers and manufactures -- it simply doesn't get any more relevant than that. That specification is for internal cabling from front panel to the mainboard where you also have to consider interference by other cables and components inside of PC.

I think you’re vastly over-simplifying the cost and complexity of designing, manufacturing and distributing even a simple part like the 3.0 kit. Particularly, when there is virtually no market and no chance at recouping their investment.

There is no market for a USB 3.0 compliant front panel for their flagship case? Please, that is just silly.

As far as the PCI bracket, my suggestion was to use the front panel connector plugged into the ports on the IO panel of the motherboard and use the PCI bracket to provide addition rear ports.

And what if I have no free PCI brackets? Not to mention that no amount of cable management can hide the fact that the cables from their fake front panel are going out of the case and into the back panel of the mainboard. Not everyone is keeping their case stuck in the room corner where you can't see the back side. It is ridiculous to even suggest such a solution for such an expensive case with a side window no less.

So you are saying that they should not make new 800D cases with a proper front panel then and that the current "solution" is AOK in your book for a price tag of $300?

Correct. I understand that the case design, for its time, was perfectly suitable. The case is discontinued and probably hasn't been manufactured for years.

Or you perhaps think that they could not order proper panels for new batch of 800D cases and add say 10-20% more of those proper panels to the order so they can sell them in the store to those who want a proper solution?

Correct, they would probably lose thousands of dollars trying to get them to market, only to find, people would rather purchase newer products. If you want to make a case to their sales and marketing people, go ahead.

It is relevant because Intel is one of USB designers and manufactures -- it simply doesn't get any more relevant than that. That specification is for internal cabling from front panel to the mainboard where you also have to consider interference by other cables and components inside of PC.

It’s not relevant because it didn’t come out until summer of 2010. It references an internal cable that didn’t exist at the time that the panels were being designed. Since the official specification doesn’t mention this length restriction, (and it’s reduced for small form factors), it appears to the a PC “form, fit and finish” spec. more than a USB3 one.

My comment are actually in reference to you assertion that the USB3 cable was in violation of the USB3.0 specification. It’s not.

There is no market for a USB 3.0 compliant front panel for their flagship case? Please, that is just silly.

Is there zero market for one of these cables? No. Is there enough of a market to justify the cost, (and the risk), to produce part for a case that is EOL, EOS and 5 -6 years old? Again, make your case to the financial people at Corsair. They only do this for a living, I’m sure they would welcome their assistance.

Not to mention that no amount of cable management can hide the fact that the cables from their fake front panel are going out of the case and into the back panel of the mainboard. Not everyone is keeping their case stuck in the room corner where you can't see the back side.

It’s not “fake” if there weren’t any alternatives available at the time.

I’ve always kept my computer on my desk. I’ve also always been puzzled by the people who balk at the idea of two USB cables on the back of the case. I have a 10 USB device cables, 5 audio cables, video, Cat5, and one big power cable. I hardly think that 2 USB cables shatter the Feng Shui of the universe.

Is an internal cable cleaner and nicer? Yes.

Is it Corsair’s fault for not waiting until all PC specifications are finalized, forever? No

• 1 month later...
Correct. I understand that the case design, for its time, was perfectly suitable. The case is discontinued and probably hasn't been manufactured for years.

So, what is this thing here then, I wonder? Could that be the "discontinued" case you are talking about?

Correct, they would probably lose thousands of dollars trying to get them to market, only to find, people would rather purchase newer products. If you want to make a case to their sales and marketing people, go ahead.

Well guess what? I did just that when I started this thread. Also, adding a word "correct" to the beginning of your statements doesn't actually make them correct.

It’s not relevant because it didn’t come out until summer of 2010. It references an internal cable that didn’t exist at the time that the panels were being designed.

It has been 4 years since then. Corsair is still selling the case under the slogan "DESIGNED FOR YEARS OF PERFORMANCE". Panels should have been upgraded. Full stop.

My comment are actually in reference to you assertion that the USB3 cable was in violation of the USB3.0 specification. It’s not.

Except that it is, since the official specification you are mentioning is for external cables, not internal.

It’s not “fake” if there weren’t any alternatives available at the time.

But it is fake now, that is all that matters.

I’ve also always been puzzled by the people who balk at the idea of two USB cables on the back of the case. I have a 10 USB device cables, 5 audio cables, video, Cat5, and one big power cable. I hardly think that 2 USB cables shatter the Feng Shui of the universe.

As I said, back USB ports on my case are completely full. Therefore, it is not about Feng Shui (even though you should not have to choose between form and function), but about the fact that I have no free ports on the case back, that old panel ports are useless for the USB 3.0 devices I use (which move data at more than 90MB/sec) and that I have free USB 3.0 header on my mainboard which I cannot use thanks to Corsair. Oh, and there is a fact that I have wasted $15 on a fake USB 3.0 panel and I still can't connect my devices at 3.0 speeds.

Is it Corsair’s fault for not waiting until all PC specifications are finalized, forever? No

Nobody is expecting that. However, Corsair is, contrary to your incorrect statements, still selling the case. Maybe this workaround with cable patching was OK shortly after case was designed, but what I am arguing is that today after four years of the case existence it is not OK anymore -- selling an accessory which amounts to no more than a rather expensive extension cable is done in bad faith.

Finally, since almost everything you said was incorrect, please check your facts next time.

So, what is this thing here then, I wonder? Could that be the "discontinued" case you are talking about?

I don't recall them having any stock. (Although, if there was, they’re not required to continue to make design changes to it.)

Well guess what? I did just that when I started this thread. Also, adding a word "correct" to the beginning of your statements doesn't actually make them correct.

"Correct" meaning I was agreeing with some of your previous statements, (as sarcastic as they have been.) If you're trying to impress the marketing people, you're going to need to provide a lot more information, (and probably a better understanding of the economics of product manufacturing.)

Panels should have been upgraded. Full stop.

Just like an unsold 4 year old car sitting on a dealer’s lot, I expect the manufacturer will stop by from time to time to upgrade and replace the engine and entertainment system to the current model spec. Dream on.

Except that it is, since the official specification you are mentioning is for external cables, not internal.

Running the cable through the case doesn’t change its electrical properties. When the case came out, there weren’t any internal cables, because there weren’t any internal connectors.

But it is fake now, that is all that matters.

Now we’re getting somewhere. Since you concede that it was an acceptable design with it was first produced, has it occurred to you that the cases made at that time are probably all the cases that were ever made? This isn’t like Santa’s workshop, with parts trickling off the line one at a time. These products are created in a few large batches, packed into container ships and shipped to warehouses and distributors across the globe. I’m sure all of this occurred years ago, and there is no opportunity to make changes or tweaks as things evolve.

As I said, back USB ports on my case are completely full. Therefore, it is not about Feng Shui (even though you should not have to choose between form and function), but about the fact that I have no free ports on the case back, that old panel ports are useless for the USB 3.0 devices I use (which move data at more than 90MB/sec) and that I have free USB 3.0 header on my mainboard which I cannot use thanks to Corsair.

And why wouldn’t the USB 3.0 PCI bracket solution work for this application?

Oh, and there is a fact that I have wasted $15 on a fake USB 3.0 panel and I still can't connect my devices at 3.0 speeds.

Assuming that the previously mentioned solution can’t work, I think you have a legitimate complaint with Corsair customer service. There obviously was a disconnect between what you thought you were purchasing and what you received. I would recommend you contact them to see what they can do.

Nobody is expecting that. However, Corsair is, contrary to your incorrect statements, still selling the case. Maybe this workaround with cable patching was OK shortly after case was designed, but what I am arguing is that today after four years of the case existence it is not OK anymore -- selling an accessory which amounts to no more than a rather expensive extension cable is done in bad faith.

I’m not convinced that the case is actually for sale, and it doesn’t matter if it was. Corsair designed and manufactured the 800D years ago. The product was reviewed numerous times in both versions. Those are the final designs. They are responsible for providing that precise configuration to the buyer. End of story.

The USB3 panel, (that were most certainly from the same batch that when into the second version of the case), were made available to buyers of the original case who wanted some USB3 support. I’m sure these kits could only be made available because of the quantity produced for use in the newer cases. It was a choice of some USB3 support for the older cases or none.

If you really want to try to get a USB3 panel with an internal connector, I’d recommend getting in contact with the guys at moddyit.com and inquiry about get the cables re-terminated. They have access to the supply chain, familiarity with Corsair products and a skilled labor force. Make your pitch about the size of the market for updated USB3 cables to them and perhaps they might setup a service to do it.

@TO

Sorry, but you create, as we say here, an elephant out of a mosquito... Or, in other words, you make way too much out of a minor problem. I guess you had some common sense to check the product before you ordered it, but why didn't you

1. simply ask someone who knew the product if the description is/was unclear.

2. look for an information about a change? Usually something like this would be found somewhere in the description of the product. If not: #1 again.

3. simply open a ticket in the first place? I've had some contacts with the guys here (:hihi: Supportteam), on several websites in Germany (:hihi: Bluebeard), conventions, etc. Whenever i had a problem they always found a solution...

Last thing (and thats why i call it a minor problem): you can easily get a small adapter here in Europe that fixes your problem. And it will only cost you 5,63€ (including tax and shipment).

Archived