Corsair Community

New RAM kit fails using XMP

Captain Zero

This kit just arrived: CMZ8GX3M4X1600C9

4x2GB of DDR3 for use on my MB (sig/profile) it's been a long running issue to get a (humble) 1600/400/10 out of this setup, I was told by Corsair Tech support that this RAM was tested/confirmed at 1600 using XMP and guaranteed to work on my board. No luck at all, it fails almost imeediately using memtest. If I bumped some voltages, I can get it somewhat stable using memtest under DOS (USB boot) but I'm not comfortable tweaking that stuff too much, and it certainly fails under Win7 x64.

Is this bad ram or what? As I said, it fails under XMP (everything else on AUTO) under Windows. But it does run stable under stock at 1333.

Edit; It also fails if I manually set everything for the RAM:

DDR3; 1600, 2t, ,9-9-9-24, 1.5v

Yes. The board will let me go to 500/2000 but I never have. 1333/1600/2000 are available options for the RAM settings, I've only tried 1600 and stock (1333). Even if I mirror the XMP settings, it fails under Windows/memtest always - workers 1 and 2, almost immediately once I start it. I've tried the fft test (for CPU) and it seems to be ok. Pretty darn sure the QX9650 I have will hit 5.0Ghz in the right hands, I'm not at all under the impression that it's my CPU. I'm far from an expert OC'er, maybe with some guidance on the voltages I could make this work. I've read everything there is to read but still at a loss and now, I can't use this new kit beyond stock - the only reason I bought it was because Corsair said I could do 1600 with it. 1600/400/10 is still the goal.

Edit: And no, I have not tried one stick at a time. That's done to rule out a bad stick, I presume? Is that the next step?

Edit2: I've also tried 10-10-10-25. No luck.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear. At stock (1333) it runs fine, this is with all set to AUTO in the BIOS. That's great and when I first installed it, this is how I set it just to boot up and run a few tests. No problem.

The problems start when I enable XMP, it loads the profile fine, but it isn't stable. I'm almost 100% certain it's simply a matter of fine-tuning some voltages but I'm not an expert in that area. And yes, the profile is current, I just updated it. Everything about my system should be able to achieve the 1600/400/10 goal and I was very specific about my requirements and specs to the Corsair rep I spoke to on the phone, he's the one that recommended this RAM kit. Obviously, this is a problem, the ONLY reason I bought this RAM is because I was assured it would allow me to reach my goal. As it is, it isn't even stable with XMP enabled and everything else on AUTO.

Just because your motherboard has the capability of 1600 MHz FSB doesn't mean your CPU will go that high. If you haven't actually done it, then it needs to be tested as there's no guarantee of your CPU's OC'ing potential yet. Attempting to run one stick at a time at 1600 MHz FSB will enable you to see if the memory or the CPU is the issue.

The chip will OC just fine, I've run it stable at 4.0, no problem. I've come close to 5.0Ghz but wouldn't ever do it 24/7, even on a very effecient liquid system I have. No, this appears to be a voltage issue but I'll run/test each stick and report back.

Archived