Corsair Community

Corsair HX620 whine/screech/whistle when 3d applications are run

Mformajik

Update on the bottom of page 2. Thanks.

This noise is made when anything 3d is running like games, ati tool, etc. I initially thought it was my video card, but after further investigation i have pinpointed the noise originating from my power supply. It is very noticeable and needs to be eliminated.

Another key thing to point out is that if you listen very very carefully by putting your ear next to the powersupply, even simple actions as moving the mouse around produce the screeching.

Also, the same screeching noise is heard through my headphones if I plug them in the front audio port of my case. This audio port is connected to the motherboard via the hdaudio connection. The rear audio ports of the motherboard work just fine with no screeching but only this front case audio jack has the SAME EXACT noise that is coming from the powersupply.

If there is any help you guys can give me, I will appreciate it greatly. Thanks.

Here's a short video I made to further show what the problem is:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=up_axOyd1Z8

if you have a CRT, turn off the monitor and see if the noise persists. it may be EMI?

ive had stranger things! i play electric guitar/bass and my amp 4 feet away buzzes and whines if i have the pickups/strings facing my 22" viewsonic less than 6 feet away with the screen on. i have to turn it off when i play its REALLY annoying.

if you have a CRT, turn off the monitor and see if the noise persists. it may be EMI?

ive had stranger things! i play electric guitar/bass and my amp 4 feet away buzzes and whines if i have the pickups/strings facing my 22" viewsonic less than 6 feet away with the screen on. i have to turn it off when i play its REALLY annoying.

Its a lcd monitor. I have tried to somehow find if emi can travel anywhere near the powersupply but it has produced no results. The only time the noise happens is during anything 3d/graphic related and happens a little when vista is loading during startup.

With the audio issue of the front audio port making the same noise as the psu through my headphones, I tried to find if my wires were burnt or ripped, but still I do not know how the same noise is getting through to my headphones via the front audio panel connect via the hdaudio connector to the motherboard. Even for extra measure i put some electrical tape around the hdaudio wire but still it transmits the same noise.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Corsair Employee

We have seen this issue since the 200 series Nvidia and the 48** series ATI cards came out. Some users have resolved it with an RMA of the GPUs and others resolved with a PSU RMA. It is inconsistent and we have not been able to reproduce it in the lab.

If you want to try RMAing the PSU, use the TSX Express link below in my signature.

unfortunately i am not able to get a video card or power supply from friends. It is clearly coming from the powersupply and not the video card so there must be a problem with the psu. I've been reading around and people have mainly got this problem fixed by either buying another psu or rma'ing the current one. I honestly didn't expect this to happen after all the good things everyone was saying about corsair and recommending the hx620 so much. Right now I don't have the funds to buy another psu at the moment so the only option would be the rma it, but this will make the computer unusable for the duration of the rma which may take many weeks and this is the main computer I work on. Is there any other options corsair can give me? I'm sure their "legendary" support can do something. I hope they can because I still want to continue giving my business for this company because of their reputation.

It happens with my 620HX as well. When I'm in the Oblivion menu, the PSU makes a screaching sound. When I go to the load menu, the sound changes tones. Then, when I move my cursor over the "load" button, the sound changes tone again and intensifies. You can move the cursor off and on the button and the tone/intensity changes accordingly.

Fortunately, it's not your PSU guys, as I tried with my Enermax Liberty and it does the same thing. It's the GPU causing the problem, but it's giving feedback to the PSU. When this happens, both the GPU and PSU make the sounds.

Anyways, I thought it was the PSU at first, but I guess not. Unfortunately, my 620HX also made weird sounds when I first got it, without the GPU being loaded, so it's going back. The fan is also a little too loud for my liking. I think that plastic cover they use gives it a distinct whirling/wobbly sound. I wish I could get inside without voiding the warranty, so that I could maybe grease/tighten the fan, or even change it for a more quiet one.

• Corsair Employee

Some users have gotten rid of the sound by disabling the CPU power saving functions in the BIOS (intel speedstep, C1E etc.). While others have forced Vsync "on" through their video drivers to resolve the issue. If neither of those things work, then I would try a different video card, or try the PSU in a different system. If thats not an option, then we can try replacing the PSU for you, however we can not guarantee that it will resolve your problem.

To have the unit replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I'm having this problem too. It seems related mainly to hard disk activity, but also mouse movement and maybe some other peripheral too (USB wi-fi dongle for example).

I bought it from a German supplier and I live in Italy, if this may be of some interest (different versions from country to country, I don't know).

RESOLVED:

The trick of disabling power saving features (C1E) from the bios worked.

Didn't read your answer at first, sorry!

All of my CPU features are disabled in BIOS and it still amkes no different. I set the card to stock clocks and BIOS to all stock, still does it. Usually its all overclocked substantially but on stock it does the same stuff.

All of my CPU features are disabled in BIOS and it still amkes no different. I set the card to stock clocks and BIOS to all stock, still does it. Usually its all overclocked substantially but on stock it does the same stuff.

exactly the same for me, tried everything in the bios, still no luck

for all the people saying its fixed with the changed bios settings, have you run ati tool with that cube thing running to see if it still makes the noise? If you haven't try it and report back, thanks alot.

Sorry for my previous post, I didn't know about Ati Tools. I will try tonight and I will post a report if I manage to use it :)

edit: anyway, my problem was not strictly related to the GPU, it was a constant HUM/BUZZ even when outside of 3d applications. Maybe we can separate the two problems.

Sorry for my previous post, I didn't know about Ati Tools. I will try tonight and I will post a report if I manage to use it :)

edit: anyway, my problem was not strictly related to the GPU, it was a constant HUM/BUZZ even when outside of 3d applications. Maybe we can separate the two problems.

actually i do have the same problem even when outside the 3d applications like i said in my first post. When I move the mouse or connect the front audio to headphones there is a buzz inside of it and I can hear it coming from the power supply if I listen closely.

Okay i think i'm going to replace the psu. I have filled out the form and my case number is 830575. Thanks.

Just wondering, in order to ship this out will I have to put everything in the box(cables, manual, power cord) like how I bought it from the store or do I just include the power supply unit itself with nothing else but the box? I ask this because i read around the forum and some people are saying you just include the psu itself. I think there should be a sticky thread to explain what to include when rma'ing. Thanks.

Archived