Corsair Community

Connecting a single ML120 RGB PRO - do I need a fan hub?

WebMaximus

I bought a Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum and figured I would match the fans on the radiator with a similar one in the back of my case. So I also bought a single Corsair ML120 PRO RGB PWM fan.

Now I'm wondering if I can connect it directly to the JRGB header on my MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard or if I need to have the Corsair RGB fan LED hub in between?

Checking the motherboard manual, it shows a fan hub between the motherboard and the fans but feels a bit stupid having to buy a fan hub when I only have one single fan I want to connect.

And if I indeed need a fan hub to make it work even when using only a single fan, is there a specific fan hub model I must pick to make sure it's compatible with my ML120 RGB PRO PWM fan?

Reason I ask is I found a fan hub called CORSAIR RGB Fan LED Hub in a local store here in Sweden but then the text under the product says it's only compatible with LL and SP RGB fans.

There is only one RGB LED Fan Hub and it works with all models.

Do you need a fan hub? Well ... yes and no.

Yes ... if you want to stay in the arena of what Corsair officially supports - and you'd need a Lighting Node Pro as well.

No if you don't - you can make (or have made) a custom cable that would connect the fan to either a Lighting Node Pro or an addressable RGB header (on MSI, that's called JRAINBOW ... connect that fan to JRGB and you'll blow out the LEDs).

See my sig for the part numbers.

Many thanks for the info!

In the end I decided to make it simple (or so I hope) by getting an Obsidian 500D RGB SE when I learned it comes with both fans as well as the Commander Pro (I think that was the name).

I hope this will allow me to have everything up and running "out of the box".

Just unboxed it and looks like a very nice chassi! Lots of smart features and really nice looking!

I am in the same situation: I bought 2 ML pro fans (My PC needs 4 fans, but,Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum has already 2).

I asked Corsair and forums and stuff and all said "Yes, they will work". They do, but no RGB light. (That's not how "work" works xD). So, the only solution to make a simple fan controlled by iCue is to get a fan hub and a Lighting Node Pro?

Archived