Corsair Community

Please make a case without bays

C4ASCH

I have a 900D, 750D, and a 450D.

The 450D is great and one of the smallest cases that will fit an E-ATX motherboard. Well I finished my build... But I'm not actually using any of the room on the front. (two SSDs mounted on the back of the motherboard tray... So...

The E-ATX motherboards tend to be high end and usually have more features packed into them. Ultimately I still end up getting E-ATX motherboards.

A lot of things have changed in the last few years. AIO coolers are good enough for most overclocking. Partly because processors tend to hit a wall and even the best custom loops make little or no difference. They just aren't worth it, unless you really need that extra 100Mhz... So I don't need extra room for that anymore, And if I did I'd buy another 900D. Optical drives don't make it into my builds anymore either... So I don't need 5.25" drive bays. SSDs are better and cheap enough now. So I don't need 3.5" drive bays either... Although I could use them for 2.5" drives. But I would be happier with just 2.5" bays.

SO I chopped up a 450D (image) to make a 425D. The 3.5" drives could go too. I'm sure the designers at Corsair could do a much better job. But I've seen people looking for the smallest E-ATX case on several occasions and I'd like one in the future, preferably a Corsair 425D or something like that...

Corsair-Obsidian-425D-1-660x633.png.024b8cf9fb21adfce0b04d1603744410.png

Edited by C4ASCH

While I'm at it... Why don't you make a half height power supply as well, if it isn't too hard technically or too expensive. It could come with an adapter to mount in normal ATX power supply mount... And you could offer cases that are sized for the smaller power supply. I could see it being popular for builds where a little extra room would be welcome...

• 4 weeks later...

I for one am all for no drive bays if you're referring to where you put a fan controller or a DVD/BLURAY player. My 250D with the optical drive bay removed is the closest thing I've seen to what I want. At first I was like..." no drive bay :( ) having to orient my h100i GTX with the hoses coming out of the rad at the front of the case then I realized I never use it. All my movie viewing is done by USB, Windows is installed by USB...don't need it!

I love the idea of a fully functional case that supports high end graphics cards, high end cooling but as small as possible and I have no need for drive bays ( except for a couple to house a storage drive and SSD.

We're certainly looking into whether or not the market is ready for cases with no 5.25" drive bays. As for a smaller power supply, perhaps I can interest you in our SF600 SFX12V form factor power supply?

FWIW, I haven't had anything in a 5.25 drive bay in my main computer for many years. I use keep a DVD drive in my little file server, but that had to come to bits last year to repair the little ones PC, cant say I have given not having a DVD drive on hand a second thought since then.

Any case with bays can easily be removed,so specifically making bayless cases would be a expense to tool imop...

I imagine it would be aimed more at saving space to make a small form factor case that bit smaller rather than a normal desktop case. (At least that's what came to mind when I read it).

EDIT: You know what, ignore me, I really should double read things before I reply to them when sleep deprived :P

Edited by Ananais

• 3 weeks later...
Guys I don't think we were talking about the ability to remove the drive bays. If you want that, just get a ATX case. If there are no drive bays you can make the case smaller.

I think you may be missing the point for a lot of people. Many of us would like to see the ODD bays removed not so the case could be made smaller, but so that we can use that space for more customization.

Being able to remove the ODD (which you can do in the 750d, but requires case modding) frees up a lot of extra room for the potential for larger radiators and/or larger or more flexible tube reservoir layouts.

I'm frankly surprised that case manufactures haven't all gotten on-board yet and just stop using rivets to assemble parts of their cases. Using completely modular cases like case labs and many other companies do allow for so much more customization. And while using 100% screws instead of rivets may increase manufacturing costs slightly, the ability to sell case parts individually and/or provide add-on parts like mid-plates, custom back plates, etc seems like it would bring in a lot of extra revenue to far overshadow the costs of not using rivets.

I think you may be missing the point for a lot of people. Many of us would like to see the ODD bays removed not so the case could be made smaller, but so that we can use that space for more customization.

Being able to remove the ODD (which you can do in the 750d, but requires case modding) frees up a lot of extra room for the potential for larger radiators and/or larger or more flexible tube reservoir layouts.

I'm frankly surprised that case manufactures haven't all gotten on-board yet and just stop using rivets to assemble parts of their cases. Using completely modular cases like case labs and many other companies do allow for so much more customization. And while using 100% screws instead of rivets may increase manufacturing costs slightly, the ability to sell case parts individually and/or provide add-on parts like mid-plates, custom back plates, etc seems like it would bring in a lot of extra revenue to far overshadow the costs of not using rivets.

I would love this as well !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
We're certainly looking into whether or not the market is ready for cases with no 5.25" drive bays. As for a smaller power supply, perhaps I can interest you in our SF600 SFX12V form factor power supply?

I think the market is now ready.

M.2 drives are common storage mediums.

Doing such a case will usher in modernization of form factors.

I think the market is now ready.

M.2 drives are common storage mediums.

Doing such a case will usher in modernization of form factors.

You might have missed your window on this one. It is now en vogue to complain there are no cases with drive bays and the overwhelming majority of new cases are without.