Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5 question

dboisvert

Alright I am using some TWIN2X4096-8500C5 ram in a Asus M4N78Pro motherboard and for some reason when I try to set the ram to 1066, it crashes and will just load the bios again unless I switch it back to 800. When I run it under 800 everything works fine.

I have ran Memtest and it crashes (with single stick or both)

My computer is not overclocked

I bought it from newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145215

TWIN2X4096-8500C5 is the model # according to them

The reason I asked is that I found that my C5D model was rated at 2.1 - 2.2v for the memory voltage. I recommend sending a Tech Express email to Corsair to inquire about the voltage rating. Tell them the version # stamped on the memory. My system was completely unstable before setting the voltage to 2.16v After the change in voltage it's Prime95 stable for 24+ hours. I have an Asus board running a Phenom II 965. Your issue may not be related but it's possible.

The voltage required is right on the memory label.

That's true but my label says 2.1v. When I emailed Tech Express they said it's guaranteed up to 2.2v. 2.16v stabilized the system. They don't tell you that unless you inquire.

When I run it under 800 everything works fine.

Will the system run stable if you set the memory frequency to DDR800?

Sometimes I find reading helpful :)

Yes, it runs perfectly stable and even has some headroom for overclocking the processor (I tried it briefly and it oc'd np to 3.6GHz) but that isnt really all the relevant (When I tried 1066 nothing was overclocked and everything was default).

Sometimes I find reading helpful :)

Yes, it runs perfectly stable and even has some headroom for overclocking the processor (I tried it briefly and it oc'd np to 3.6GHz) but that isnt really all the relevant (When I tried 1066 nothing was overclocked and everything was default).

I suggest bumping the CPU NB voltage to 1.2v.

I suggest bumping the CPU NB voltage to 1.2v.

Tried that already and it didnt make a difference.

Also I had a friend test it in his system (to make sure it wasnt the motherboard) and it allowed him to boot with 1066 but as soon as he stressed the ram it crashed.

The only other thing left now is to RMA it I guess... I was wondering is there anyway I can keep the ram until I get the new stuff because I really cant be without a computer (work).

Tried that already and it didnt make a difference.

Also I had a friend test it in his system (to make sure it wasnt the motherboard) and it allowed him to boot with 1066 but as soon as he stressed the ram it crashed.

The only other thing left now is to RMA it I guess... I was wondering is there anyway I can keep the ram until I get the new stuff because I really cant be without a computer (work).

The CPU NB voltage not the NB voltage, right?

Question. Does your friend also have a Phenom II? I have found that these processors have a odd sensitivity in their memory controller which requires just the right bios setting to stabilize the memory at 1066MHz. I'm starting to suspect a bug in the available bioses which support this animal.

Does your bios have the TLB bug fix field under CPU configuaration? That setting was for the original Phenoms. That bug's fixed in the Phenom II. If it's set to auto try disabling the setting. Also set CPU tweak to enable if available.

Archived