Corsair Community

RM750X minimum load on 12v rail

Jonosg

Hi i have recently upgraded my pc to an ax1200i as I have added a couple of peripherals that require a lot of power and the sli 980 ti’s were maxing out the 750 on occasion anyway. I was thinking of using the replaced RM750x as a bench power supply to run RPI’S, Arduino, dc lipo battery chargers and the like do I need to put something like a 100watt panel mount load resistor on the 12v supply to ensure proper 12v regulation? I will be using Corsair atx and PCIe cables so the sensing will be ok, this will be connected to separate 3.3v, 5v and 12v distribution boards where I will put such a resistor however some of the 12v applications will not be pulling anywhere near 10% 12v load. I have done this before with older PSU’s but have heard that modern switching units Need a minimum of 10% load to properly regulate the 12v or even function.

that is a very good question and AFAIK a small 1500 ohm 5W resistor should be enough to keep capacitors happy etc on the 12V line

with 1500 ohms, the current load will minimal at around 80 mA give or take

the 5W rating gives lots of tolerance for warm areas

My last bench dc power supply, made from a $30 early 2000’s server PSU has just died after 15 years of service, what you suggest is what I was thought to do, a 5 or 10w high value resistor to pull <500mA. I was looking at what other people have done with modern PSUs and quite a few have reported that a 10% 12v load is required to properly regulate the 12v, I was just wondering if this is true or just one of these fake news internet myth type of things. It is no big deal to buy and parallel mount a couple of 4ohm 100w resistors ($15 ish) and a 12v fan + heatsink but is it really necessary, 75W seems a lot to me.

I’m a mechanical engineer by trade, I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to dc switching power supplies but I am no expert

Archived