Corsair Community

MP 510 and Z390

Sviks

can MP510 run on z390 chipset?

will I be able to run 3x MP510 in raid 0 with GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS XTREME Bundkort

Model: Z390 AORUS XTREME

is there any benefit of going with x299 instead of z390 regarding storage?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Hello Sviks,

Sorry for the late reply! According to Gigabyte's site, it does look like you should be able to do that with these drives, but I would suggest confirming with them. Their tech specs show x4 compatibility for all three slots, though.

Unless you need more than those 3 MP510s, I don't believe there would be any benefit to switch to X299 unless you need the extra CPU power and/or PCI-e lanes.

• 4 weeks later...
can MP510 run on z390 chipset?

will I be able to run 3x MP510 in raid 0 with GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS XTREME Bundkort

Model: Z390 AORUS XTREME

is there any benefit of going with x299 instead of z390 regarding storage?

For anyone still wondering, that's a definite yes. In fact I have three M.2 NVMe drives on my Aurus Master Z390 mobo, one 970 Evo Plus of OS boot and two MP510 drives in a RAID-0 set.

The mobo will allow you to RAID all three drives should you wish to do so.

Hint, do not attempt to use "EasyRAID" to do this, stick to using the RST functions in the mobo BIOS.

• 3 months later...
I'm having extreme difficulty accessing my MP510 Force on a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro. The 1920GB SSD is installed in the m.2a slot. UEFI firmware recognizes it most of the time, but not all of the time. Windows 10 Windows Explorer sometimes shows it as an unconfigured I: drive, but sometimes it's not there at all. Disk Management sometimes has it, but often not. The few times it has appeared in Disk Management, I tried formatting it. All formatting attempts failed. I searched for a new driver, but Windows said I had the latest driver. I flashed the motherboard firmware with the latest chipset and that didn't help either. I'm about ready to return this drive for a refund and stick with HDD. My first foray into SSD and I'm not impressed.

I'm having extreme difficulty accessing my MP510 Force on a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro. The 1920GB SSD is installed in the m.2a slot. UEFI firmware recognizes it most of the time, but not all of the time. Windows 10 Windows Explorer sometimes shows it as an unconfigured I: drive, but sometimes it's not there at all. Disk Management sometimes has it, but often not. The few times it has appeared in Disk Management, I tried formatting it. All formatting attempts failed. I searched for a new driver, but Windows said I had the latest driver. I flashed the motherboard firmware with the latest chipset and that didn't help either. I'm about ready to return this drive for a refund and stick with HDD. My first foray into SSD and I'm not impressed.

This sounds like a BIOS / hardware level issue to me, so some obvious questions...

1. Is the NVMe drive properly located in its slot?

2. Are you running the latest mobo BIOS?

3. Does it exhibit the same behaviour in the other NVMe slots?

4. Are you running in AHCI mode or RAID? No special drivers are required for AHCI in Windows 10. RAID requires Intel RST drivers.

5. Are you overclocking? If so, try setting uncore to 43.

6. Have you ensured that you are not using any of the shared SATA interfaces? Check your SATA cabling carefully as this is the most likely scenario, given your symptoms. There is a table in the user manual that explains this.

I have three NVMe drives, plus a SSD and a SATA DVD drive, in my Aorus Master and they all function perfectly.

Edited by Yemble

This sounds like a BIOS / hardware level issue to me, so some obvious questions...

1. Is the NVMe drive properly located in its slot?

2. Are you running the latest mobo BIOS?

3. Does it exhibit the same behaviour in the other NVMe slots?

4. Are you running in AHCI mode or RAID? No special drivers are required for AHCI in Windows 10. RAID requires Intel RST drivers.

5. Are you overclocking? If so, try setting uncore to 43.

6. Have you ensured that you are not using any of the shared SATA interfaces? Check your SATA cabling carefully as this is the most likely scenario, given your symptoms. There is a table in the user manual that explains this.

I have three NVMe drives, plus a SSD and a SATA DVD drive, in my Aorus Master and they all function perfectly.

It's good to hear that someone is having success with SSDs. So, using your questions as a guide,

1) I did reseat the NVME and it did not seem to change anything.

2) I did flash the mobo with the latest chipset software. No change.

3) I did not try the other M.2 slot because of conflict with SATA channels. I have 4 Hard Drives and I didn't want to play guess the conflicting channel game. So if I couldn't get it to work in m.2a, I just wasn't going to use it.

4) It is not a RAID setup (as far as I know...I did not take any action to make it a RAID, but if something is defaulting to RAID, I don't know). I do have an external G-SPEED eS 3TB RAID 5 array that is run through a Highpoint Rocket Raid SCSI PCIe board. I don't think that would be causing an issue though.

5) I am not overclocking--3.66 GHz is where I'm at with the i7 8-core 9700K.

6) From my understanding of the table in the AORUS manual, a PCIe NVME installed in m.2a does not share a channel with any of the other SATA drives. It's why I chose it.

I've filled out a return authorization with Newegg and I'm going to just ask for a refund. I've heard of a lot of problems with SSDs and in particular trying to use SSDs as system disks. At this point, I would have to clone my HDD system drive to an SSD and I've heard of lots of problems with that given different sector sizes, or something like that. From what I've heard, the difference in boot time is not as dramatic as I had originally thought. Given the headaches I've had so far and the headaches that await me should I continue in trying to establish a system SSD in m.2a, I think I'll just stick with my all-HDD setup...unless someone can convince me otherwise.