Corsair Community

Change fan control to CPU temp?

GotNoRice

I am using an H100i GTX with Corsair Link 4.9.7.35. This is with a 5820k overclocked to 4.5Ghz.

Right now fan control appears to be based on the temperature of the coolant, which doesn't change much. Is there any way to set it to be directly based on the temperature of the CPU instead?

My coolant temperature pretty much stays within a range of 36-40C no matter what. My normal ambient air temp and CPU idle temps put the coolant temp at 37C, whereas it generally only pops above 38C when actual CPU temps rise significantly. Since corsair-link doesn't offer anything finer than one-degree temperature adjustments, that pretty much forces me into a "low or high" style of fan control, as in, almost no control whatsoever. Fans are quiet at 37C and once the temp hits 38C they get loud, but I don't really have any other choice so long as the adjustments are bound to the coolant temp.

I think on the GTX series (H100iGTX/H110iGTX) you are stuck with coolant temperature. It was a model limitation, later slightly improved on the H115i and H100i v2. Technically, if your coolant temp isn't going up more than 4C, you can leave the fans low all the time. If you base coolant temp was 35C and now its 39C, the most you can possibly reduce the coolant and CPU temp is 4C, no matter what fan speed you use.

I run my 5930K at 4.5 and temps are certainly under control. You can leave the fans low all the time. The alternative is to move the fans to the motherboard. I do this now with my old non-Link H110 on that CPU. However, the board has some built in fan delays to help mitigate the ramping. I can't remember how developed the fan controls are on the FTW board. It might be just as jumpy as your current state, but it won't hurt to try. The worst case scenario is the fans are too dynamic. That is as bad as it can be.

A final alternative might be to stick with Link/cooler fan control and go to a deliberate low/high fixed system. Set it to a low, non-intrusive speed for the desktop work or leave it at your current curve. For renders, batch jobs, gaming, etc., set a fixed speed to something you can stand and leave it. Remember +1C coolant temp only equals +1C CPU temp, so it you are in the 60s and the coolant goes up +2C, it really doesn't matter.

Archived