Corsair Community

hows this possible?

SinlessViper

So ive just bought a new case Corsair 400C and its brilliant. far better air flow than my previous thermaltake core v51.

now my question is why are my temps higher?

yes the case is smaller but the flow of air is 5x better and cooler! I have 3x 120mm brand new corsair highflow fans up front sucking air in and pushing it to the back of the system.

2x new SP 120s pushing through the top.

2x new SP 120s push pull though the rear.

I then have a h100i V2 in the top cooling a 4790k

And then a h80i GT in the rear cooling a 980Ti...

CPU is fine

GPU is ok... not the best temps Id like to see. 30 idle and 67 under load.

weird part... GPU rad is red hot to the touch... but its not blowing warm or even the slightest bit of warm air out the back its stone cold... :confused:

am I missing something here? I did notice some clicking very slightly earlier but not heard it since.

Below is my corsair link and MSI afternburner and my PC layout

http://imgur.com/a/QTiNe

http://imgur.com/a/PF6fR

I assume you are specifically keying in on the GPU and H80i coolant temperatures. The 980 Ti is hot for sure, but I am cooling a Titan X with a smaller radiator equivalent to a H55 or H60 and my end GPU temps will peak out at 50-55C in a hot room. Mid-60's seems too high for this configuration. I am not sure of the exact load, but in your Link shot the delta between H80i coolant temp (42C) and GPU temp (56C) is a bit too large for my liking. I cannot measure at the pump coolant temp in the same way as you, however these two values should be fairly close to one another and directly linked. All of this suggests the GPU cooler's cold plate is not making good contact with the GPU chip.

However, the lack of hot exhaust is a strange twist in combination with that coolant temp. It should feel warm and 50C air is plenty noticeable. I have a temp probe 1 cm from the rear radiator and exit air temp rides just a few degrees below GPU diode temp. That is effectively the same as the coolant temperature at the rear radiator. I don't have a good theory for that, aside from a horrific accident with installing the rear fan blowing the wrong direction against the other. What kind of no load, cool idle temps do you get on the GPU diode and H80i coolant? Mine are extremely low when waking from sleep before any GPU loading. Even in a warm room, it will essentially sit at the ambient temperature in the 20's. A high coolant and/or GPU temp here might provide more information.

I assume you are specifically keying in on the GPU and H80i coolant temperatures. The 980 Ti is hot for sure, but I am cooling a Titan X with a smaller radiator equivalent to a H55 or H60 and my end GPU temps will peak out at 50-55C in a hot room. Mid-60's seems too high for this configuration. I am not sure of the exact load, but in your Link shot the delta between H80i coolant temp (42C) and GPU temp (56C) is a bit too large for my liking. I cannot measure at the pump coolant temp in the same way as you, however these two values should be fairly close to one another and directly linked. All of this suggests the GPU cooler's cold plate is not making good contact with the GPU chip.

However, the lack of hot exhaust is a strange twist in combination with that coolant temp. It should feel warm and 50C air is plenty noticeable. I have a temp probe 1 cm from the rear radiator and exit air temp rides just a few degrees below GPU diode temp. That is effectively the same as the coolant temperature at the rear radiator. I don't have a good theory for that, aside from a horrific accident with installing the rear fan blowing the wrong direction against the other. What kind of no load, cool idle temps do you get on the GPU diode and H80i coolant? Mine are extremely low when waking from sleep before any GPU loading. Even in a warm room, it will essentially sit at the ambient temperature in the 20's. A high coolant and/or GPU temp here might provide more information.

See i thought this too! i would expect the rad temps and GPU temp to be almost the same. but they are far from it :(

I've reseated the block and HG10 3x knowing all the issues they have with the blocks bending the cards, I've tightened that up so it only just stops when twisting the nuts down.

my load last night was dayZ on ultra, I didn't test any other games as the temps concerned me.

my PC is also right next to a window sucking in cold air at 17c or below too, if i put my hand in the case and feel anything its all cold air flow to the point my ram doesn't even get warm atall... the flow is so great its cooling everything really well. Just the GPU is cooking :s

Yeah, I don't think case heat or airflow management is the issue. Your other temps all look normal and the case is set up in a logical way. For internal ambient air to be responsible, it would also need to be +15C warmer than normal to cause the same +15C rise in GPU temp. No evidence of that and it would affect everything as well.

Unfortunately, I have not worked with the HG10 adapter I can't offer you much more insight into the root cause of the problem, whether it is thermal pads, a retention bracket, or something else. There are several long threads discussing that product and I think we need someone with firsthand experience to navigate around common hang ups.

However, I should be able to help you rule out or confirm a pump issue. We know the loads temps are a bit higher than expected. If you can give me H80i Temp and the general GPU Diode Temp when you are at idle and not after a gaming/load session, I think we can cross some things off the list. The diode should essentially be at the room temperature and the coolant about the same as the internal air temp, so we are looking for values in the 18-25C range.

Ah, so you have decided to go back to air. Most people are happy that way, with zero fan spin at idle and noise that can be tolerated or headphoned out during gaming. The water cooled GPU makes more sense with multiple GPUs or if you are stuck with the reference blower. You might also make the case for work stations that do rendering where headphones are not a realistic option.

Ah, so you have decided to go back to air. Most people are happy that way, with zero fan spin at idle and noise that can be tolerated or headphoned out during gaming. The water cooled GPU makes more sense with multiple GPUs or if you are stuck with the reference blower. You might also make the case for work stations that do rendering where headphones are not a realistic option.

for now, I don't like the hastle this HG10 980 ti brackets causing

here is the no load screen pc been on about 20mins no load.

http://imgur.com/a/rWStT

It's just a touch warmer than expected with H80i coolant temps mirroring what appears to be the approximate case ambient temperature. My take away from that is a problem on the bracket end (of some type) and the H80i is fine.

For comparison, I have been writing for the last hour with virtually no GPU activity. Room Temp = 24.7C, Case ambient temp sensor = 26.8C, GPU rad exhaust temp = 27.0C, PCI-E 1 temp = 27C, GPU Diode = 23C. In my specific set-up, it is normal for the Titan diode to be cooler than ambient temp when the voltage is squelched and this is likely due to the exact sensor location. Essentially, everything should sit around the case ambient temperature. Your GPU is about 8C higher than that. It also seems to be about 8-10C higher than expected on load and perhaps that is not a coincidence.

It's just a touch warmer than expected with H80i coolant temps mirroring what appears to be the approximate case ambient temperature. My take away from that is a problem on the bracket end (of some type) and the H80i is fine.

For comparison, I have been writing for the last hour with virtually no GPU activity. Room Temp = 24.7C, Case ambient temp sensor = 26.8C, GPU rad exhaust temp = 27.0C, PCI-E 1 temp = 27C, GPU Diode = 23C. In my specific set-up, it is normal for the Titan diode to be cooler than ambient temp when the voltage is squelched and this is likely due to the exact sensor location. Essentially, everything should sit around the case ambient temperature. Your GPU is about 8C higher than that. It also seems to be about 8-10C higher than expected on load and perhaps that is not a coincidence.

last night we had about 16c ambient temp, with the case pulling in fresh cold air from the window. before i changed case i used to see 23c idle max 60 with ambient temp of 20c.

something was definitely wrong with the bracket again... I've taken the card out now so i suppose it doesn't matter. ill just have to tell the new owner that they have to set it back up.

I'm glad the new card is working out. The brackets are tricky, regardless of brand. I don't think it is a good move more people with open air GPUs, but the hassle might be better than the shrill whirl of a reference blower. I was not happy with my non-Corsair Titan kit at first either and sketched multiple loop diagrams the first month. However, I have grown used to it and there are some benefits to having separate cooling lines for your CPU and big watt GPU.

Archived