Corsair Community

Dominator Platinum Series

dgarmstrong

I am interested in purchasing 8 sticks of 16Gb Dominator Platinum RAM. when looking at the specs of the 8x16 at 3,200 Hmz, I realized that it cam with x2 Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fans. which is an amazing added bonus when buying the ram. But when I was looking at the same type of ram but at lower Hmz but still at the 8x16Gb, it no longer includes the x2 Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fan but on x1 Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fan.

I was curious to know if this was a typo? or if for some reason when buying 8x16Gb u only get x1 Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fan? which to me doesn't make too much sense.

if someone could please explain, that would be great :)

I can't tell you much about the product listings and even less without the link to the page. However, you may not be so excited about the fan kit when you get it. You don't have any specs listed, but based on the kits I assume we are talking about an X99 with HW-E or BW-E. On most recent boards, including X99, it can be very tedious to try and mount the fan kit. It often collides with the GPU which is required to be in PCI-E 1 on the majority of motherboards.

I will also make the argument you don't need them. I was playing around with a thermal image gun last week and after 30 minutes of AIDA blend with 4 sticks of Dominator platinum at 3200, the surface temperature of the modules was about 2C above the case ambient temp and under 30C. 4 spaced modules is not the same as a full deck of 8, but with ordinary case fans I can't get them to even show up on the thermal image. They are some of the coolest components in the case. The VRM module, much less so. I'd figure out a way to put a fan on that before the DRAM.

I have 4 in boxes and they are likely to stay there. They are bulky, buzzy, and red LED only. There just are not a lot of positive to offset a lot of hassle.

I assume you are referring to the all the sub 3200 speed kits and I see the discrepancy at the bottom of the pages. I would think it is a systematic typographical error, but we need someone from Corsair to confirm that. I wouldn't make sense for an 8 module kit to come with 1 fan (and at that price!).

If you are going to spend that much, I might want the extra fan too, even if I was never going to use them. On a side note, hopefully you are looking at a BW-E CPU for this. 3200x128GB may be difficult regardless, but I think you have a chance with Broadwell-E. On HW-E, 2666x128GB might be a more reasonable goal and know that may be the ultimate end frequency regardless. Still, since things are so crowded at the top of the price range and it is comparatively not much more for the 3200 kit, I might lean that way. It has better timings and if forced to run 2666, you can probably do so at slightly tighter settings. The 2800 and 3000 speeds can be tricky, unrewarding, and probably will require the 125 strap eliminating the option to run adaptive voltage. I would target the 3200 or 2666 kits.

Archived