Corsair Community

K95 Platinum vs Strafe RGB which one for me ?

PeterMac

Hello everyone,

I can't decide which one to choose, K95 Platinum with Cherry MX Brown or Strafe RGB with MX Silent.

I heard that K95 Platinum with rubber wrist rest get fast dirt on it and it's hard to clean, on the other hand Strafe do not have multimedia buttons :( but should be more silent during night typing.

Does Cherry MX Brown for example with O-Rings will be much more noisy than MX Silent ?

Maybe you know other pros and cons for each one and can tell me and help to decide. Thanks.

You are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum here. The K95P is the heaviest of the keyboards, with a good solid feel, and those Brown switches will require some oomph if you are not used to Cherry Brown. The Strafe has the lightest materials, less features, is more compact, and the Silent switches will mush under your fingers -- if you have not used Speed switched before.

On board stored profiles are only really useful if you intend not to have CUE running. Other than that, I think you can likely assess most of the features on your own. I wouldn't worry about the wrist rest, unless you are the type that wipes down your car tires after each trip to the store.

As for the noise difference, it is hard for me to say without having a MX Silent board on hand. You might be able to find some online video comparisons to give some clues as to tone quality. That is something that is likely to be more meaningful. Marketing lingo aside, it is hard for me to imagine any mechanical keyboard as being silent to the point it won't annoy someone not working within 10-15 ft. However, within that realm, I do think the K95P has a slight advantage. The heavier materials give it a solid base and I can tell the difference typing between it and my K70 LUX with Speed keys. The wrist rest is a plus for me too, even if I don't mind the more basic version on the other boards. I think you should focus in on the key type (Brown, Speed, Silent) that suits your needs, then match the board features. I had been using Brown for 6 years before getting a K70 Brown and K70 Speed last year. The Browns were an extra 10g over my prior and I found myself tired after long days writing. To my great surprise, I the speed keys were a relief. Yes, definitely more error prone and if you are a stenographer, this is a miss, but I will take a slightly higher error rate in exchange for a massive reduction in fatigue. 9 months later I decided to test myself again with a K95P Brown. I was right about the keys and had no desire to go back. However, the feel of the K95P offered something a little more and my curiosity was piqued. I sent the K95P brown back and a month later it got the better of me. I snagged K95P Speed and no regrets, even if the K70 LUX is getting little use. Subtle difference, but appreciated.

Thank you for answer and your experience with them.

I already have Strafe RGB and I must say it's really queit, even guiter than my membrame keyboard Logitech G15 v2 big suprise.

Cherry MX Silent switches are perfect for me, keyboard is very solid, high quality mate plastic which do not take fingerprints and it's hard to scratch, very heavy and stable construction when is placed without additional legs.

I put in on kitchen scale and it's weight ~1420gr with wrist rest, for example my G15 keyboard weight ~1085gr :)

But what is totaly really bad is additional wrist rest, it's really not comfortable it's too short and with too much angle to down on the end :( total construction fail.

I decided to return it only for that reaseon, and I will try K95 Platinum soon I think with MX Brown switches, they fixed this bad wrist rest, now have 8cm deep compare to 6cm in Strafe and much more soft angle. I'm only worry about this rubber I heard very fast go dirty from hands.

By the way, K95 Platinum weight less :) if we compare weight on Corsair site tech specification :)

Too bad the Strafe did not work out. The Brown keys are likely to seem quite different. They are certainly not clacky like Blues, but I wonder if the Speed switches would be the better compromise if you otherwise like the K95P.

I should have elaborated a bit more when discussing the "weight". This was more a subjective feel of keyboard while typing and not a stuff in your backpack metric. At any rate, the Corsair product pages appear to hop back and forth between kilograms and pounds. The Strafe Silent checks in a 2.02 lbs./~0.916 kg and the K95P-Brown at 1.324 kg or 2.91 lbs. I would have been absolutely stunned if the Strafe weighed more, although less aluminum and more steel could do it. My other K70 LUX measures in at a very near 1.20 kg and I can feel the difference between it and the K95P while typing. Regardless, it sounds like you will be able to judge for yourself soon enough.

Strafe RGB MX Silent weight this 2.02 lbs is wrong on Corsair page, I weight it today on my precise scale and it's ~1320grams without wrist rest and cable, so how can be their 2.02lbs (~0,916grams) :) ? On main page not on Tech Spec they write on bottom 1352grams so this is correct. I will think about MX Speed, but I heard they are louder than Browns.

@Corsair fix your weight 2.02lbs for Strafe RGB in Tech Spec information !!!

And fix this short not comfortable wrist rest, make it little deeper like in K95 Platinum 8cm not 6cm with softer angle.

So my advice is to make new Strafe v.2 RGB keyboard with fixed wrist rest and additional multimedia keys like in K68.

Archived