Corsair Community

Connecting the 460X &570X cases to the RGB headers on MB's

geirr

Hi everyone,

I work for a company that sells gaming PCs. We just started using the 570X case together with motherboard and GPU from ASUS, which both have Aura RGB.

I hope that Corsair and other companys that produces cases and fans with RGB will start co-operating with ASUS, ASRock and other MB manufacturers so that the RGB fans can be connected to the MB's 4-pin RGB headers, so that everything can be synced through software.

But until then - does anyone here know if there's a workaround to make this possible?

Geir, Norway

• 2 weeks later...
Corsair does not affiliate with competitors besides when it comes to their Hydro GFX GPU's as corsair does not make their own GPU's and the motherboards used for the barebones Bulldog kit as again Corsair does not manufacture their own motherboards so corsair cannot help you

Hi everyone,

I work for a company that sells gaming PCs. We just started using the 570X case together with motherboard and GPU from ASUS, which both have Aura RGB.

I hope that Corsair and other companys that produces cases and fans with RGB will start co-operating with ASUS, ASRock and other MB manufacturers so that the RGB fans can be connected to the MB's 4-pin RGB headers, so that everything can be synced through software.

But until then - does anyone here know if there's a workaround to make this possible?

Geir, Norway

Corsair does not affiliate with competitors besides when it comes to their Hydro GFX GPU's as corsair does not make their own GPU's and the motherboards used for the barebones Bulldog kit as again Corsair does not manufacture their own motherboards so corsair cannot help you

That is a shame because I have the exact rig described by Geir. My rig is built around an ASUS Maximus VIII Hero mobo and an ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 OC Edition GPU living in a Corsair Crystal Series 570X case with Corsair Vengence LED 16Gb mem sticks, Corsair RM850 PSU, Corsair H100i V.2, Water cooler, Corsair Strafe KB and a Corsair Sabre gaming mouse.

Here's the obvious question - did Corsair make money on me without cooperating with other manufacturers like ASUS? Yes. Would they have made money on me if they did cooperate? Absolutely yes. So who are they concerned with if they don't cooperate with other manufacturers? Their customer base or their proprietary self interest?

It's time for the manufacturers to man up and start collaborating with each other. There's room for keeping the customer's interests in mind while still making plenty of money. IMHO :headbang2

The Aura RGB system is "Strip Addressable" via a common 12V and then three PWMed lines for the three colors. The pictures in some things are somewhat misleading since the strip cannot have multiple colors showing at the same time on the same strip. One color, whole strip of 12 volt LEDs.

While I can't speak for the control on SP120RGB, though I suspect it is similar, the HD120 RGB Fans use WS281x control, which means 5V (12 will fry them nicely) and digital control that addresses each LED individually as opposed to the whole strip being the same color.

Sadly, ASUS Aura and other such Strip-Addressing headers on motherboards are inferior, and I really do wish they'd catch up with the newer technology.

The Aura RGB system is "Strip Addressable" via a common 12V and then three PWMed lines for the three colors.

I guess this is common anode which is the same as the CL Mini/Lighting Node, so expect the same LED strips can be used. Do you know if they can please?

Do you know which controllers are on the motherboard and how to I access the Aura RGB controllers? I just hope it's not via the SMBus as ASUS software fails to interlock access.

I guess this is common anode which is the same as the CL Mini/Lighting Node, so expect the same LED strips can be used. Do you know if they can please?

Do you know which controllers are on the motherboard and how to I access the Aura RGB controllers? I just hope it's not via the SMBus as ASUS software fails to interlock access.

Exactly, and almost invariably. The only issue would be if the strip is wired in different color order. The Mobo headers:

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Maximus-VIII-Hero_Alpha_RGB-headers-A-980x800.jpg

I don't have the hardware, I just looked up the headers and information and interpolated what they didn't say (kind of like with the HD120 RGB fans. XD) They do have their own controller, so somebody with the mobo would have to look at their hardware layout likely in Device Manager and see what they find.

Make sure you get the order right, Corsair is not using the standard order.

[table=head]Supplier|Pin 1|Pin 2|Pin 3|Pin 4

Corsair|+12|Blue|Red |Green

Standard|+12|Green|Red |Blue

[/table]

They do have their own controller, so somebody with the mobo would have to look at their hardware layout likely in Device Manager and see what they find.

Nothing Like Standardisation :(:

I suspect it may not be a PnP device and therefore not in Device Manager :(:. Given what ASUS often do I would not be surprised if it's accessed via the EC (Embedded Controller) or PCH SMBus. Maybe someone with a board will find the LED controller chip.

• 1 year later...
Forgot to include the obligatory rig pics

Wow! How did you manage to fit both high profile RGB ram and water cooler top radiator with fans?

A lot of people complain that with Corsair Crystal Series 570X (460x as well) when you mount watercooling as Corsair H100I V2 at the top you are unable to fit RGB RAM - only low-profile LPX RAM fits in - [ame]

[/ame]

• Corsair Employee
Wow! How did you manage to fit both high profile RGB ram and water cooler top radiator with fans?

A lot of people complain that with Corsair Crystal Series 570X (460x as well) when you mount watercooling as Corsair H100I V2 at the top you are unable to fit RGB RAM - only low-profile LPX RAM fits in -

I agree, the 570X clearance at the top is a bit tight but with some good planning, you should be able to squeeze in those tall DRAM. It'll be a little tight, but most of them do fit in fine.

I agree, the 570X clearance at the top is a bit tight but with some good planning, you should be able to squeeze in those tall DRAM. It'll be a little tight, but most of them do fit in fine.

Clearance to edge of RAM BB: 59mm.

So a 25mm fan and a 30mm radiator can fit if the ran heat spreader doesn't extend past the edge of the RAM and you don't care about reaching the release levers for the RAM without removing the rad.

Thank you, could you please give more details/pieces of advice on 'good planning' in this case? Any specific recomendations? I mean if I buy your Corsair 570x/460x case, your Corsair H100I V2 AIO cooler, and your Corsair VENGEANCE® RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 4266MHz C19 Memory Kit (2 or 4 kits) - what should I do to fit it?

Any specific mainboards to buy with memory slot far enough from the edge?

This specific recomendation will be super-helpful for a lot of people who are eager to buy this setup, you will grow sales, we will be happy with great RGB hardware.

Archived