Corsair Community

Should I buy now or wait?

Top Dollar

I want a Corsair One, will be my first gaming PC. Should I buy the 8700 + 1080ti model now or wait until the elusive version 2 is announced for the chance that it contains a 2080ti?

I'm not really fussed about the rearranged front panel but I don't want to buy one only to discover a new model with the next gen graphics cards is announced a week later.

What do you think, and what would you do?

Unless you have a fancy 4k monitor the 2080ti isn't really worth it at the moment.

Although if they release a 9700 & 2080ti at the same price point as the current Pro or Elite. I haven't found any comparisons of the two cards with the new 9700 CPU.

This comparison does a good job going over that.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-vs-gtx-1080-ti-3536639

If you can wait & either have or plan on getting a 4k monitor I'd hold off until they release the new model w/ the 9700 & 2080.

Corsair is probably dealing with next gen hardware issues which is causing a delay in the v2 release. Example: https://www.pcgamer.com/some-users-are-complaining-of-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-cards-dying/

Here’s why Corsair shouldn’t wait for the 2080 to get the bugs out: the v2 update to the case alone is reason enough to release the product as-is.

Hopefully you have a Plan B. In this situation, get creative with releasing v2 now without the 2080Ti. Example: up the CPU, up the RAM to 64, up the SSD capacity.

We’ll buy.

Last Christmas I got a 55" 4K TV and for 7 months I waited to hear any kind of announcement about the Predator movies releasing on 4K UHD Blu Ray. After 7 whole months of hearing nothing I finally concluded they weren't bringing them out in 4K any time soon, bit the bullet and bought the Predator trilogy on regular Blu Ray.

MERE DAYS after ordering my box set from Amazon 20th Century Fox announced the Predator Trilogy 4K UHD Box Set. Mere days!

I find myself in the same situation with the Corsair One. I want to buy one but I'm conscious that the next model - with a 2080ti card - might be announced days later.

I don't want a repeat performance of Predator...:[pouts:

Last Christmas I got a 55" 4K TV and for 7 months I waited to hear any kind of announcement about the Predator movies releasing on 4K UHD Blu Ray. After 7 whole months of hearing nothing I finally concluded they weren't bringing them out in 4K any time soon, bit the bullet and bought the Predator trilogy on regular Blu Ray.

MERE DAYS after ordering my box set from Amazon 20th Century Fox announced the Predator Trilogy 4K UHD Box Set. Mere days!

I find myself in the same situation with the Corsair One. I want to buy one but I'm conscious that the next model - with a 2080ti card - might be announced days later.

I don't want a repeat performance of Predator...:[pouts:

I think you should buy the current Corsair One... wait for the destiny to happen....then return it.

I think you should buy the current Corsair One... wait for the destiny to happen....then return it.

I can just return it, just like that?

Be awesome if we could return our (in warranty) Corsair One v1 in exchange for the latest model, obviously paying the difference in price.

I'd buy the current Corsair One tomorrow if we could do that.

I'm a prospective buyer here - I'm holding out for the V2 of this unit. I do find it interesting that corsair released the new CORSAIR VENGEANCE 5180 Gaming PC. UNFORTUNATELY for me... I want the smaller, quieter form factor of the Corsair One. Considering my main rig right now at home and on the go is the Acer Predator Triton 700... well I'm waiting for the V2 of the Corsair One. Hope the Corsair guys are looking at these threads.

The day that a newer unit comes out that offers the i9 series (I want that thermal pad replaced by the solder) I'll be purchasing. The wish list is 8 core (minimum) i9 and a nvidia RTX 2080. Hopefully the lower TPU and solder will get us there with thermals in this water cooled case) Also note, I would not be apposed to an AMD offering of this, less their video card, stick with the RTX series please.

I realize the need newer boards, probably a bump up in PSU and will have to see how the thermals go on the cpu and gpu side... Personally I'm hoping they will have something at the beginning of the year - if not... tax season would be nice to have a upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

In a similar position. Would like to pick up the next Corsair One.

I see that MSI announced their Trident X mini creator PC. It's got a 9900k and 2080 TI in a tiny form factor - but with usual MSI overkill bling/design.

I wonder if it's likely the next One will have a 9900k or if it'll be the 9700k? 2080 vs 2080 ti will be interesting as well.

Hoping an announcement is coming soon

In a similar position. Would like to pick up the next Corsair One.

I see that MSI announced their Trident X mini creator PC. It's got a 9900k and 2080 TI in a tiny form factor - but with usual MSI overkill bling/design.

I wonder if it's likely the next One will have a 9900k or if it'll be the 9700k? 2080 vs 2080 ti will be interesting as well.

Hoping an announcement is coming soon

That Trident X looks like it's gonna be one noisy monster with all that power and only air cooling, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Same boat here, really like the subtle design of the Corsair One, but hesitant reading the problems with graphics and ribbon issue to get (a new) one. Also in the context that for slightly more money you can get the much more recent 9700k/9900k and 2080 systems now. Would definitely want a Corsair One V2 - if it existed - but since it doesn't yet I'm looking for alternatives.

I've also stumbled over the Trident X, and while I don't like the design (I can hide it below the table), it does hit on many other aspects. It's not water-cooled, but comparing review noise seems similar to the corsair one.

Trident X: "What impresses me most about the Trident X, however, are the noise levels – it is a very quiet system. With our sound meter positioned 1 foot away from the case, peak noise output did not exceed 44dB, meaning it was really very easy on the ears" (source: https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/dominic-moass/msi-trident-x-i7-9700k-rtx-2080-system-review/3/ )

Compared to Corsair One ELITE : Idle "Its 31db noise rating is stellar" and "A gaming test saw the fan noise rise to around 46db That’s still quieter than most gaming systems ever manage, and it’s still extremely subtle" and A full-system stress-test saw the noise output rise to 50db.

( source https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/mike-jennings/corsair-one-elite-review-w-i7-8700k-and-gtx-1080-ti/10/ )

One alternative I found is this one ( ~20 liters ): https://www.mifcom.de/defy-core-i7-9700k-rtx-2080-premium-id5478 which can still be customized.

Other things I found was Origin Chronos (30x10x35cm) - but unfortunately no EU location ( only import, which would be expensive and difficult/annoying).

On the computex 2018 there was still an Asus with similar design to corsair one, but I didn't find any more info on that one.

Are there any other alternatives (preferably no "sleek" glow-in-the dark nonsense)?

Archived