Corsair Community

Link doesn't detect my GPU fans.

snapper69

I recently upgraded from a Gigabyte Windforce GTX770, with 3 fans, to a Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, also with 3 fans. Link detected the temp of the GTX and showed speed of 1 fan, but with the new R9 390 it just shows the temp and no fans. The R9 comes with the facility to automatically switch the fans off when the temp of the card is low enough, could this be the problem?

It could be, but from what you have said it's tricky to tell. What happens if the fan starts spinning when CL is running and if you start CL when the fan is already spinning.

Is this the same GPU that you had on 2015-09-08 @ 17:42:18? If so then I would expect CL to report if it's spinning and once detected to flash red if it's not. What does the CPUZ save file report for the GPU sensors?

What does SIV report as the fan PWM % when it's not spinning? I suspect SIV may also need adjusting to better deal with 0 RPM fans. See Menu->Machine->GPU Info.

I tried stressing the GPU with CL running, nothing. Tried stressing it with CL not running and started CL when the temp got up, nothing. Well, not wuite nothing, all the settings on the case graphic went to zero and the left side was full of new readings, again.

It's the same GPU, an R9 390 nitro with 3 fans. SIV doesn't report it spinning, as far as I can see. I think that I may have to open the case and physically confirm that the fans are spinning, although if they aren't I suspect that the temp would be much higher.

Sorry for the delay, to be honest, I completely forgot that I'd posted this, a sign of my advancing years I suppose.

Will do tonight. Last night I checked to see if the fans were running ( put my fingers in) and they weren't. I tried running a graphics benchmark, but the temp barely moved, so the fans didn't kick in. I thought that these R9 390 cards were supposed to be hot cards.

I set the fan speed to 20% in Trixx (Sapphire) and SIV also reported it at 20% but not the rpm. I upped it to 50% and then 100% and Siv reported them both correctly, but again with no rpm. With my old GTX770, Link at least repored one fan spinning at 700 rpm. Could it be the fact that both cards have 3 fans? I tried doing a screenshot, but with a 4K desktop, plus the fact that it also included my second monitor in the shot, the file was waaaaaaaay too big to post and I didn't have time to edit it.

the file was waaaaaaaay too big to post

OK. If you press Alt/PrtSC that will just save the window. The other option is to press [Copy] the post the text as 'code' (the # button).

I don't know why no RPM was reported, maybe I need to use a later ATIADL version. If you would like to work with me to try and figure out what is needed e-mail me the save files.

Archived