Corsair Community

CUE/iCUE profile settings switches to the current profile [improvement request]

Gelunox

As a user I want the profile settings of the CUE application window to stay on the profile I selected to configure regardless of active profile.

The CUE (and iCUE) software profile settings always switches to the active profile when you switch application (i.e. alt-tab to test settings). So when I'm configuring macros and testing them out, it is really annoying if I have to keep switching back to the profile I'm editing all the time.

Current behaviour:

1. Open (i)CUE
  2. Select a profile in (i)CUE -> [profile activates]
  3. Edit some settings
  4. Switch to application of the profile to test settings -> [selected profile stays active]
  5. Switch back to (i)CUE to adjust settings -> [(i)CUE profile settings switches back to default profile]
  6. Reselect desired profile -> [selected profile becomes active]
  7. Switch to another application -> [(i)CUE profile settings switches to that profile and it becomes active]

Desired behaviour:

1. Open (i)CUE
  2. Select a profile in (i)CUE -> [profile activates]
  3. Edit some settings
  4. Switch to application of the profile to test settings -> [selected profile stays active]
  5. Switch back to (i)CUE to adjust settings -> [selected profile stays active]
  6. Switch to another application -> [that profile or default becomes active, (i)CUE profile settings stays on selected profile]
  7. Switch back to (i)CUE to adjust settings -> [selected profile becomes active again]

It's the only real problem I have with the software right now, and it's really, really annoying.

Screenshot for context:

xozbp2w.png

You always have the option to temporarily drag the profile you are editing/testing to the top of the list making it the default and eliminating the focus issue. Move your preferred default to top again when you are done. Seems like any kind of alternative where the selected profile remains in focus would then eliminate the ability to have a default profile that snaps back into use. You would then need either manually select your active profile every time or assign each and every profile to some auto-switching mechanism.

You always have the option to temporarily drag the profile you are editing/testing to the top of the list making it the default and eliminating the focus issue. Move your preferred default to top again when you are done. Seems like any kind of alternative where the selected profile remains in focus would then eliminate the ability to have a default profile that snaps back into use. You would then need either manually select your active profile every time or assign each and every profile to some auto-switching mechanism.

I'm not suggesting to change the way profile detection works, what I am suggesting is changing how de profile viewer/editor in the application window works. It shouldn't switch to the active profile, it should stay on the profile you're working on regardless of what profile activates when the (i)CUE application window loses focus or regains it.

Also the workaround you suggested doesn't work, moving my Overwatch profile to the top of the list doesn't make it the default profile and the profile editor still snaps back to the profile called Default.

the profile editor still snaps back to the profile called Default.

That may be your problem. Get rid of it and take back control. iCUE has a simple top down hierarchy. The top profile is the default profile. The focus issue was addressed a few versions back. I can switch manually to a different profile in iCUE, edit it, and test macros in this browser window without it reverting back to the top default. Not sure why your experience is different, but the presence of that default profile may be the reason.

That may be your problem. Get rid of it and take back control. iCUE has a simple top down hierarchy. The top profile is the default profile. The focus issue was addressed a few versions back. I can switch manually to a different profile in iCUE, edit it, and test macros in this browser window without it reverting back to the top default. Not sure why your experience is different, but the presence of that default profile may be the reason.

I see what you mean, when you switch from an application with a profile to one without a profile, it switches to the top most profile WITHOUT a link to a program.

However, this doesn't solve my problem since most, if not all, of my profiles are bound to a program. So no matter what profile is on top of the list, it will always switch to the profile I named "Default" because that is the only profile without a program link.

which means that if I want the profile to stay put, I have to put it on top of the list AND remove the program link and re-add it when I'm done. That's just absurdity, it shouldn't have to be like this.

(The LGS application does much better in this specific regard.)

Edit: and if every profile in the list has a program link, it'll just stay on the profile of the last app with a profile link that had focus (not solving the root of the problem either).

So my original post stands, I believe the profile settings window should stay on the selected profile regardless of what profile is active

OK, that might actually do it if every single profile you have is program linked, whereas most of mine are not. The linked profiles appear to be exempted from the hierarchy. I guess the only way to reasonably deal with it would be an "edit mode" you toggle on/off to lock yourself into that profile. I am unsure of the complication is writing that and this is not my area of expertise. The immediate fix would be to temporarily delete (or cut) the link to program, then paste it back in when finished. Not sure how often you tinker with these settings.

Not sure how often you tinker with these settings.

Often enough that it has annoyed me enough to write a forum post. I don't think it should be that difficult to separate the profile settings page from active profile, I know of competitor software that has had it working like what I originally described for ages.

but I honestly don't get why no-one else is bothered by this, whenever you alt-tab from the (i)CUE application window for any reason it'll switch the profile you're looking at, so even if you wanted to reply to a IM real quick, you have to re-select what you were working on.

It has been driving me insane on a few occasions where I had tens of times that I alt-tabbed and had to re-select profile (which consists of moving to the profiles part, clicking, moving to your profile, clicking that, moving to the actions/lightings/performance, clicking that, then move to the item you were working on, and clicking that)

Archived