Corsair Community

HS70 Mic Issues

EchoRunner

Hi all,

I just yesterday received my new Corsair HS70 Headset and was pretty impressed with the audio on them, with one hiccup.

All of my friends on discord, steam chat and battle net voice chat and they all said the mic quality sounded absolutely terrible.

I have recorded voice clips on my PC locally and it sounds fine, Uploaded them to a google drive and they still sounded fine. But my friends say that the clips when sent over discord sound really quiet though much better quality than I do when I join the actual chat room.

I have reinstalled ICUE several times and re plugged the receiver several times.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Corsair Employee

Hi EchoRunner,

This is a little harder to test if you're hearing it fine but they say it isn't. Namely, you'll want to actually hear what they do, to see if it's an issue with the headset itself or if some settings in the chat apps are affecting your microphone.

• 1 month later...
Nevermind my friends were just heavily over exaggerating to the point where they said i sound like im in a box/trunk. I now run into the problem where i cant convince them that my mic is actually decent. They somehow prefer my webcam mic.

Hello Fenor,

You didn't really mention what app you were using to chat with your friends. Skype has a Echo/Sound test you can try. For discord I highly recommend using this unusual but very useful test :

this way you can actually compare HS70 mic vs Laptop Mic/Webcam Mic and also adjust settings(echo noise gain whatever) on the fly and be ready for your next online voice chat.

I agree the mic on this headset is not great but it should surely do the job better than built in mic.

Good luck

• 4 months later...

Bit of an old thread now but I had this same issue and got to the bottom of why it sounds so trash. Annoyingly I can't find a fix at the minute though, but felt like people needed this for reference.

When you have an input device in Windows, you can set the audio quality, if you go to the device settings, then the advanced tab, by default it's set at "Telephone Quality". On my old headset, one that rhymes with Smodgitech, you can change this to "DVD Quality" and the sound is much improved.

With the Corsair one, no matter how many times you change this, it jumps back to "Telephone Quality" when the window closes.

Image for reference: hs70-mic-quality.PNG?raw=1

This makes the headset utterly useless for me. No-one can hear what I'm saying which is kinda the point of the microphone. Personally I'm going to return mine and look for another option, which is a shame as I wanted to have all of my peripherals unified under one brand - I'm a completionist that way :D:

If anyone else manages to fix this please let me know, I would love to keep my headset, but at the minute the performance is awful

Archived