Corsair Community

H100I V2 very loud at low temperatures.

xMet_

Just bought a new watercooled mini-itx rig ft. corsair h100i v2 and everything is running smoothly except when cpu temps reach around 40 degrees, the pc begins to sound like a jet engine.

How can i get my new pc to stop screaming at me?

worth mentioning: The cooler is plugged into the cpu fan header as oppose to the aio pump header because the system wont boot with that slot empty and the rad fans are plugged into the cable coming off the cooler.

the cooler is also not connected via corsair link because i ran out of usb headers :P

thanks.

Well, without a USB connection for the cooler, you are giving up all software and monitoring capabilities. That might be something you want to consider and there are USB 2.0 bus/splitters that can be used to work around the now common 1 x 2.0 internal header problem.

As for the fans, they react to coolant temp changes whether you are using the software or not (iCUE or the older Link). That threshold is 40C coolant temp and so it is a bit concerning you see this as 40C cpu temp on your end. I am going to assume this is happening at idle and not load. If you put your PC to sleep for 30-60 minutes and then wake, what happens to CPU temp? Does it hold steady? Or does it slowly climb +1C at time for about 1-2 minutes until it reaches 40C?

The CPU vs AIO header doesn't matter. An "AIO header" is a marketing tag. They really should turn those back into chassis fan headers. Most of us CPU fan so we get that boot error if the pump fails on power on. That said, make sure your fan control for CPU fan is "disabled" or set to 100%/PWM/Full speed, depending on which Asus BIOS you have. Those are all the same thing in this case. Not setting the control header to give a full 12v will prevent the pump from running its intended speed and can prevent it from starting up at all.

The temp after sleeping for a while is room temp (30ish degrees because Australia). It'll stay like that until I game for a few minutes, that's when the pump/fans ramp up and stay like that until temperatures drop a bit, I'll try disabling the fan control once I get home.

The temp after sleeping for a while is room temp (30ish degrees because Australia). It'll stay like that until I game for a few minutes, that's when the pump/fans ramp up and stay like that until temperatures drop a bit, I'll try disabling the fan control once I get home.

OK, that actually is good news. If you are starting out at 30C base and it only kicks in hard when gaming, then it is hitting the 40C threshold naturally - no physical issues. The default curve (as well as the software presets) are based off a standard 20-23C room temp. If you live in a warm climate or just Summer in a temperate one, it's not that hard to make it to 40C. It doesn't mean you have reached a critical stage if the coolant rise is only +6.

The normal recommendation is make an appropriate fan curve for your room temp using the software. Since that is not available to you yet, take the fans off the pump and move them to the motherboard. Use CPU temp as a control source. They might be racy, but you will be able to prevent to constant full blast. Once you have a USB 2 splitter or hub, then you can active software control and see how the coolant temp reacts and make your own curve you can control.

Another thing to consider is to get quieter fans. While c-attack's analysis is (as usual) likely spot-on, the stock fans are freekin' loud. If you want to swap them out, the original ("Classic") ML fans are a really good drop-in replacement that are quieter and don't have the whine of the stock fans.

Archived