Corsair Community

When will Corsair release the MP510 update for the Phison E12?

Snatchface

• 3 months later...
Great question, looking for the same information. I just came to the site because I am looking to purchase this and comparing it to the Silicon Power P34A80 which I understand is already running on the newer firmware.

From AnandTech's P34A80 review: "Corsair seemingly hasn't provided a firmware update for one of their SSDs since they were using SandForce controllers years ago".

Seeing that and the dead "SSD Firmware Update" forum here, it's pretty clear there are zero chances Corsair will provide any kind of performance improvement firmware updates (for MP510 or whatever else they re-sell).

Edited by taCrs

• Corsair Employee

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you know that we definitely do have an update planned! It will be 12.2, but I don't have an exact date to give at the moment. It will be available through the SSD Toolbox in the near future.

We definitely do update all our SSDs as needed, but unfortunately it hasn't been as widely publicized as iCUE updates for instance. If you don't have the drive and even sometimes a specific batch of a drive, you wouldn't see the update. Hope this helps!

Just wanted to let you know that we definitely do have an update planned! It will be 12.2, but I don't have an exact date to give at the moment. It will be available through the SSD Toolbox in the near future.

Thank you. Two questions for you:

1. why not allow download of separate update program? Our office has many of these.

2. will this update be data-destructive?

• Corsair Employee
Thank you. Two questions for you:

1. why not allow download of separate update program? Our office has many of these.

2. will this update be data-destructive?

Sorry, not sure what you mean about the first question.

We always recommend to either back up your data or do a fresh install for a firmware update. It's always best to be on the safe side. In the past, at least in my own experience, our firmware updates haven't caused any data loss or issues.

Sorry, not sure what you mean about the first question.

We always recommend to either back up your data or do a fresh install for a firmware update. It's always best to be on the safe side. In the past, at least in my own experience, our firmware updates haven't caused any data loss or issues.

(1.) I mean an independent firmware update program for download, without the need for the Toolbox.

(2.) Firmware 12.1 update wiped all data. Will 12.2 update wipe data?

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to get some information on this for you, but it's likely to be data destructive. I will update as more information comes about.

Well I've been wondering about this myself, ever since recently building my new i9-9900K Aurus Master Z390 rig. My original plan was to use a pair of Corsair 960Gb MP510 M.2 drives as RAID-0 for build, partitioned into several logical drives for Windows 10. After some research, I concluded that this might not be the wisest decision and so I invested in a third 512Gb Samsung Evo 970 Plus, for the OS boot.

I stuck with the RAID-0 on the MP510's for data oriented apps, like Photoshop.

It all works well and ATTO testing has shown that the write performance on RAID-0 is almost identical to read performance, which is itself almost identical to the read performance of the non-RAID drive. Writes on the non-RAID 970 EVO Plus lag behind reads.

So the only real issue is what to do about firmware updates on the MP510 drives?

If the data will be lost anyway, then it becomes a moot point, as a backup/restore to/from my NAS will become a necessity, however, if data can be retained on RAID-0, then I would like to know how?

It just seems inconceivable to me that SSD vendors have not yet worked out a method for upgrading drives in a RAID set. I mean to say, that RAID is not exactly a ground breaking concept on PC motherboards in 2019.

• Corsair Employee
Well I've been wondering about this myself, ever since recently building my new i9-9900K Aurus Master Z390 rig. My original plan was to use a pair of Corsair 960Gb MP510 M.2 drives as RAID-0 for build, partitioned into several logical drives for Windows 10. After some research, I concluded that this might not be the wisest decision and so I invested in a third 512Gb Samsung Evo 970 Plus, for the OS boot.

I stuck with the RAID-0 on the MP510's for data oriented apps, like Photoshop.

It all works well and ATTO testing has shown that the write performance on RAID-0 is almost identical to read performance, which is itself almost identical to the read performance of the non-RAID drive. Writes on the non-RAID 970 EVO Plus lag behind reads.

So the only real issue is what to do about firmware updates on the MP510 drives?

If the data will be lost anyway, then it becomes a moot point, as a backup/restore to/from my NAS will become a necessity, however, if data can be retained on RAID-0, then I would like to know how?

It just seems inconceivable to me that SSD vendors have not yet worked out a method for upgrading drives in a RAID set. I mean to say, that RAID is not exactly a ground breaking concept on PC motherboards in 2019.

It may not be so much that it isn't possible, as much as it's a precautionary measure so people don't wind up losing important data. Considering the inherently volatile nature of memory and storage, any measures to ensure data safety and retention should be taken.

• Corsair Employee
Any update?

Hello! Just got word that there is an update set to roll out sometime in May to the SSD Toolbox. They're just buttoning some things up, but expect to see the FW update soon. I'll make an announcement when it's available. Thanks for your patience!

Hello! Just got word that there is an update set to roll out sometime in May to the SSD Toolbox.

Thank you. Please do consider rolling out an independent updater file for those with many units and don't want SSD Toolbox download to every machine

Hello! Just got word that there is an update set to roll out sometime in May to the SSD Toolbox. They're just buttoning some things up, but expect to see the FW update soon. I'll make an announcement when it's available. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks for the heads-up.

I have a couple of questions...

1) Will this be Phison F/W v12.1 or v12.2 (my Silicon Power 1Tb drive, bought last week, was shipped with v12.2)?

2) Will the drive still be restricted to 960Gb, or will the full 1Tb be an option, as per the SP NVMe drive?

Edited by Yemble

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the heads-up.

I have a couple of questions...

1) Will this be Phison F/W v12.1 or v12.2 (my Silicon Power 1Tb drive, bought last week, was shipped with v12.2)?

2) Will the drive still be restricted to 960Gb, or will the full 1Tb be an option, as per the SP NVMe drive?

Hi Yemble! It's my pleasure to help!

1. The update will be v12.2.

2. I'm not entirely sure, but I will inquire with the team and get back to you.

• 3 weeks later...

May is almost gone, there are new units shipping with 12.2, and the MP600 has been announced. Still no update for the MP510. Support seems to be non-existant for a product that just launched not long ago. Update please?

May is almost gone, there are new units shipping with 12.2, and the MP600 has been announced. Still no update for the MP510. Support seems to be non-existant for a product that just launched not long ago. Update please?

Agreed, Corsair Kevin indicated a release in May and tomorrow is May 31st.

I'm beginning to think that this may be just vapourware, which is very disappointing :mad:

• 2 weeks later...