Corsair Community

OCP being triggered after updating Corsair Link

TheBoom

Have a AX860i that's been working fine all this while. A few days ago I updated Corsair Link 4 to the latest version that was recently released.

Now I have a 1080ti that pulls about up to 400 or so watts at full load 1440p. Yesterday when I was in a game of Overwatch both screens went black and GPU fans ramped up to max. Had to do a hard reboot.

I initially thought it was the GPU but after various attempts to reinstall drivers and under clock the card I was still getting this specific type of crash whenever I start up a 3D app that stresses the card enough.

I had suspected some form of OCP but I thought it was from the card itself. Turns out upon disabling OCP for all PCI-e lanes the crashes completely stopped. What's funny is when monitoring the amps pulled by the rails none of them hits 40A but the OCP is being triggered?

Is this a Corsair Link issue or something else? I have a feeling wrong values are being reported to the PSU causing the OCP to trigger but I might be wrong and it could be the GPU. But it hasn't fried itself yet so I'm thinking false alarm though.

Can anyone with experience in this section advise? Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post.

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I can't remember which version I updated from but its currently at 4.8.0.82. It tells me I'm running the latest version available which means the newer one (4.8.2.1) shouldn't be for my PSU?

The update was prompted a few days ago and the OCP issue has only occurred after the update.

I can run Corsair Link 4 but with all PCI-e rails set to OCP off. Switching any on results in GPU failure when I load up any 3D app that stresses it past 300 watts (from HWinfo64).

Thanks, just submitted a ticket will wait for their reply.

Hopefully its just a CL issue and not my GPU or the PSU failing.

What did Corsair support say?

Looking at http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=141982 then Corsair seem to be aware there is an issue, but there seems to be some confusion about what the actual issue is.

Got the auto response email that said they will respond in 2 days but haven't gotten a follow up since then.

Anyway I might have been wrong about the issue. It seems the GPU is faulty/failing.

After I disabled the multi-rail OCP it seemed fine but after 6 days the issue is back even with OCP off. I also tried uninstalling Corsair Link and still the same.

Testing now with a spare GPU borrowed from a friend.

It just seems odd that it worked for 6 days after disabling the OCP in CL.

Does the AX860i have a hardware set single rail mode OCP?

• Corsair Employee
Got the auto response email that said they will respond in 2 days but haven't gotten a follow up since then.

Of course... that was Friday and now there's a three day weekend. So I wouldn't expect a response until Tuesday or Wednesday.

After I disabled the multi-rail OCP it seemed fine but after 6 days the issue is back even with OCP off. I also tried uninstalling Corsair Link and still the same.

Testing now with a spare GPU borrowed from a friend.

It just seems odd that it worked for 6 days after disabling the OCP in CL.

Does the AX860i have a hardware set single rail mode OCP?

Doesn't sound like a Link issue. I think red-ray just jumped the gun when he heard "Link" and "OCP" in the same post.

If OCP trips on ANY PSU, the PSU latches off. You don't get a black screen, BSOD or reboot. It shuts down. Completely. Your problem is not OCP related.

Doesn't sound like a Link issue. I think red-ray just jumped the gun when he heard "Link" and "OCP" in the same post.

Given the number of recent posts about OCP I expect something is not as it should be, but it's hard to know what has really happened on other members systems.

What I am pretty sure of is that CL 4.8.0.82 messed up the OCP registers on my 3 year old AX1500i and look forward to a sensible reply from Corsair to my http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=917459 post.

Just got back from my local Zotac service center. GPU is fine and runs perfectly well in their system/test bench.

And they were running on a 450watt only PSU.

I can't think of anything else that can cause this particular type of issue/crash to be honest.

Might be purely coincidental but this started right after updating CL, hence the suspicions.

• 3 months later...

wow, so my AX860i that I thought was plain defective is actually working OK, for some odd reason the power draw reading in Corsair Link (and probably the PSU firmware) is WAY OFF now. I'm seeing 162W in (at 233V) while my power meter in the wall socket is reading 66W in! And a G1840 idle + HD7950 idle just doesn't pull 162W.

So the AX860i is way off on its amperage readings I guess, and thats triggering the OCP.

Can anyone else with the OCP problem check if this is happening?

• Corsair Employee
wow, so my AX860i that I thought was plain defective is actually working OK, for some odd reason the power draw reading in Corsair Link (and probably the PSU firmware) is WAY OFF now. I'm seeing 162W in (at 233V) while my power meter in the wall socket is reading 66W in! And a G1840 idle + HD7950 idle just doesn't pull 162W.

So the AX860i is way off on its amperage readings I guess, and thats triggering the OCP.

Can anyone else with the OCP problem check if this is happening?

That's quite a stretch in logic.

OCP is on the DC side. Not the AC side. Even if you were pulling 1000W from the wall, it has nothing to do with OCP.

Hmm. Then I have no idea why the AX860i has been sporadically shutting off (no turning back on without disconnecting the power plug first, so I guess OCP or another safety mechanism) in various different computer setups. I could never really pinpoint a pattern.

So far its been stable since I turned off OCP, and there's that quirk that the power in is definitely way too high in CL.

Archived