Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Fabian H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 908665
Fabian H. Reputation: 10
Default Corsair RM850i Coil Whine?

Hello guys,
I recently bought the RM850i as my new power supply. It is constantly giving of some kind of sound, which gets louder when i increase the load.
I include a video where the CPU only is stress tested.

I recorded the video with my phone and sadly, since smartphones were not made to pick up high pitched noise, it is rather hard to pick up in the video.
(EDIT: See post (4) below for slightly better quality.)

Is this coil whine, or something else? Should i be worried? I found this other thread and to me his noise sounds about the same:http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=155213

Thanks in advance,
Fabian

Last edited by Fabian H.; 06-21-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: adding edit to mention better videos

Old 06-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 908864
Corsair Blake Reputation: 14

Sounds like it's coming from the video card. I used to have this issue with my older 7970 card. Once I replaced it with a 780, it went away. Try placing your ear next to your card and see if it gets louder.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:56 AM
Fabian H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 908935

Thanks for the reply, but as i stated above the graphics cards was under zero load when recording this video. The graphics card does make noise too when under load.. but it sounds different. The sound i am refering to definitely comes from the PSU and sounds a bit like birds chirping, or basically like electricity.

Today or tomorrow i will try and upload a better video. Sadly the noise is nearly inaudible in the video i uploaded. I'll try to get a better recording device.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Fabian H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 909026

I uploaded two new videos and added additional information to be more clear about the sound i'm hearing.
I'd like to mention that, since both videos were again recorded with my phone, the noise is more clear and "louder" or higher pitched when actually hearing it.
You might want to turn up the volume a bit higher than usual when watching the videos.

In the first video, i put the entire system at 100% by stressing cpu and graphics card. The psu is pulling ~425 watts from the wall here:
The noise i am refering to should be relatively easy to notice in this video. To me it sounds a bit like chirping or electricity.

In the second video only the cpu is stressed, resulting in the psu pulling ~180 watts from the wall:
The noise i am referring to is way fainter in this video, but definitely there.
Despite how faint it is in the video(s), when actually being near it, you can hear this noise even when the computer is idling at about 60 watts.

About the source of the noise:
- In the second video the graphics card was under no load (and made no noises whatsoever), excluding coil whine from the graphics card
- With my ear right next to the psu i'm certain that the psu itself is giving off these noises

Last edited by Fabian H.; 06-22-2017 at 05:49 AM. Reason: added information about 60 watts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: