Corsair Community

Corsair Neutron 240GB SSD; Temperature, ATA version & Configuration ID.

Corsair2004

i got a 240gb neutron xt drive. i load up toolbox to check things, as i do, and i have three concerns. (pic shown using toolbox v1.2.2.3.. well, actually i had v1.2.2.5 and that showed the same result. since these models are very new on the market i used the built-in autoupdater thinking there may just be a newer version that targets the xt features more specifically. the toolbox updater reports a new version, yet, shows v1.2.2.3 as "newer". like, wtf? anyway, i assume maybe it's a typo and it's v1.2.2.6 or such. i let it update, and it shows as 1.2.2.3.. (a downgrade?) okay, whatever. both v1.2.2.3 & v1.2.2.5 show identical info.)

1.) why does toolbox not show configuration id for neutorn when it does so for force 3? (ps: what is the config id actually? don't just say "it's an internal corsair thing, don't worry". i'm not worried i want to learn and know what it is.)

2.) why can't toolbox show the full ata version like it can for the force ssd? (do we need a newer toolbox still? if yes, please release it asap.)

3.) temperature? for ssd? wut? hmmm, is it because this drive has the four core controller? does it actually have something that heats up? (again, do we need a newer toolbox? fyi, latest crystalmark (v6.3.0) also shows temperature. so kinda confused.)

finally, i am using win7 ultimate with sp1 and all patches to date. i already used drive manager that is part of win7 to format the drive. i created 3 partitions like i wanted. i just want to reconfirm that that is all i have to do for this ssd. win7 supports proper "sector relocation" or whatever, and i don't have to use any additional tools to "set up" the drive, right? (i remember there was some "issue" with older o/s's whereby if you formatted an ssd it would not be 100% correct/accurate. or something.)

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2yv8av5.jpg

what the hell is this crap? corsair, a top tier -expensive- brand company can't be bothered answering on their own forums now? they used to answer. and i'm looking at several other open threads by other people that have not been answered for weeks or months. what is going on here? is this forum abandoned? does corsair only answer a few select posts because... because what?

hello corsair. i purchased yet another of your products and i have questions. hello? HELLO??

1. You posted at the beginning of a 3 day weekend in the USA, so they couldn't have possibly seen it until today.

2. If you want official support, create a support ticket: https://corsair.secure.force.com/

3. This forum is mainly for end users to discuss Corsair products, not for support (hence the title at the top that says USER FORUMS).

Yes, Windows 7 and up will automatically align the partitions correctly.

well, yes and no. i made it very clear that i read several other people's posts that are weeks and months old, with good valid questions that remain unanswered. i'm not talking just about my own post. i also don't think my questions are strictly support where they require tickets. that should -in my opinion- only happen with faulty hardware or such serious matters.

thanks for your reply though and i hope a corsair rep answers all questions i posed. (and for that matter goes around an reads the last few threads in every section, and answers them all.)

:hihi:

• 3 weeks later...

1) My blind guess is that configuration ID is related to some SandForce firmware file being a part of the drive's firmware. Corsair Force 3 is SandForce driven, Neutron XT is not.

2) My another blind guess is that ATA Version information can be probably filtered/interfered by AHCI driver in use? Maybe the drive is connected to different motherboard's controller? Personally I wouldn't worry about that at all. You can probably try to use different diagnostic (?) software to see if it would give you full ATA version.

3) Yes, many SSDs have internal temperature sensors. Under very heavy load they can heat up sometimes, temperature monitoring is not a bad thing.

If you have performed clean W7 install on clean SSD with no partitions you should be good to go now. Check motherboard's drivers, check if the TRIM is really working (TrimCheck). The issue with Windows XP was that it wasn't aligning partitions properly. You can check partition(s) alignment with AS SSD Benchmark tool, it should show you two green OK's in the left upper corner of the app's window. One is for the AHCI driver, other one is for the partition alignment.

Edit: Most likely 240GB Neutron XT has 128MB of cache.

i got a 240gb neutron xt drive. i load up toolbox to check things, as i do, and i have three concerns. (pic shown using toolbox v1.2.2.3.. well, actually i had v1.2.2.5 and that showed the same result. since these models are very new on the market i used the built-in autoupdater thinking there may just be a newer version that targets the xt features more specifically. the toolbox updater reports a new version, yet, shows v1.2.2.3 as "newer". like, wtf? anyway, i assume maybe it's a typo and it's v1.2.2.6 or such. i let it update, and it shows as 1.2.2.3.. (a downgrade?) okay, whatever. both v1.2.2.3 & v1.2.2.5 show identical info.)

1.) why does toolbox not show configuration id for neutorn when it does so for force 3? (ps: what is the config id actually? don't just say "it's an internal corsair thing, don't worry". i'm not worried i want to learn and know what it is.)

2.) why can't toolbox show the full ata version like it can for the force ssd? (do we need a newer toolbox still? if yes, please release it asap.)

3.) temperature? for ssd? wut? hmmm, is it because this drive has the four core controller? does it actually have something that heats up? (again, do we need a newer toolbox? fyi, latest crystalmark (v6.3.0) also shows temperature. so kinda confused.)

finally, i am using win7 ultimate with sp1 and all patches to date. i already used drive manager that is part of win7 to format the drive. i created 3 partitions like i wanted. i just want to reconfirm that that is all i have to do for this ssd. win7 supports proper "sector relocation" or whatever, and i don't have to use any additional tools to "set up" the drive, right? (i remember there was some "issue" with older o/s's whereby if you formatted an ssd it would not be 100% correct/accurate. or something.)

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2yv8av5.jpg

Hey man, i just saw your post about the neutron XT and i was wondering, which temperature is displayed to you in the Corsairs' toolbox ? I have a Neutron XT and mine is ALLWAYS at 30 of raw value, could you please check yours and tell me ?

Thanks!

Edit: Most likely 240GB Neutron XT has 128MB of cache.

yes, so like i said, the current software, including corair's own might need an update. i doubt this drive has any sensors at all.

as for the cache, we're on corsair forums and can't even find out.

Hey man, i just saw your post about the neutron XT and i was wondering, which temperature is displayed to you in the Corsairs' toolbox ? I have a Neutron XT and mine is ALLWAYS at 30 of raw value, could you please check yours and tell me ?

Thanks!

did you have to quote that whole thing? the temp is shown in the picture. it's 30 - doesn't change. i don't think this ssd has any such sensors.

As far as I can remember some SSDs without temperature sensors can have some values preprogrammed in SMART. I think this kind of hard-coding were used in order to present a value to some BIOSes that were stumped without temperature reading, generating false alarms without it.

As far as I can remember some SSDs without temperature sensors can have some values preprogrammed in SMART. I think this kind of hard-coding were used in order to present a value to some BIOSes that were stumped without temperature reading, generating false alarms without it.

yes, that makes sense - in theory, and you may be right. though if so, why did they not do so with older ssds? why start with the neutron/xt? yes, interesting.

Archived