Corsair Community

Query LS (Phison)

MunchbiPROX

I have an interesting bit of conflicting data as output from the toolbox and other SMART gathering tools I use.

2 of the same model and part number LS60 drives are displaying 2 completely different controller firmwares. With the lower revision firmware drive, a successful completion of update was achieved but up to only what appears to be the next minor revision of that firmware family.

I have experienced similar behavior from Intel, Crucial and the now absorbed OCZ ....the behavior indicated not necessarily a radical difference but a difference none the less in the controller generation.

In this case Phison 3108 ps3108.

Could it be that I have acquired two drives that are marked and sold as the same with 2 different generations of the same controller? If so,,,what are the differences?

Also.

I am considering switching to these entry level drives as standard for clients. Phison does have low level recovery tools for this controller. Would there be any chance that controller recovery tools will be or have already been made available for these drives? Particularly in the case of non critical destructive hiccups based on power sensitivity or abrupt kill situations where the controller and NAND are ok but tables and other higher level stuffs keeps the drives from being recognized by less intelligent OS's. One of the reasons I wanted to try these outside of the cost performance ratio, is I noticed manufacturer refurbished in the LS and that kind of pushed me to believe these controllers were capable of low level firmware reset/recovery just as if they were sold by Phison. The concern is more for satisfaction of 1st level support need for clients. I would like to be able to at least have the tools to attempt a full controller reset and reflash in the rare event of failure, before spending time and resources (yours and mine) on RMA

The firmware for the two drives is as follows:

Drive1: Lower cap out of package S8FM06.9 updated only as far as S8FM07.2

Drive2: Higher and likely latest revision S9FM01.8

Thank you for any information in this regard.

1: Scratch the first regarding different gen same controller. Same gen controller, much older drive is the scenario.

2: I have found the updated firmware for this Phison controller for offline instal. I can not find an offline tool for 'easy' firmware flash with the corsair branding, say thru PE or Linux boot......I am sure they will have something available once they get tired of servicing and warranty replacing these for brown outs or hard powers where the drives are perfectly fine, but the controller needs low level recovery..... the branding is the limiter on these as the controller allows low level naming that is called by higher level tools like tool box so perhaps I just poke around and use some of the tools for Mr Caudil's Psychson to see if I can get needed results .... and perhaps this is the wrong place for all this anyway

Thank you

Archived