Corsair Community

Question about if my MB could handle 4X8GB DDR3

Darkmatter

I currently have 2, 8GB PC3-10700 (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9) [Week/Year 30/12] in an Asus Z97M-Plus MB, but I can't buy the ram other then used due to Corsair ending that product line. They're also not easy to find used, or if you do, the price is insane. I was wondering if I could use 2 8GB of the next speed up that is currently in production. It would reduce its speed to my older ram but would my MB see and use it all? It would actually be best if I could get the low profile ones. The fan on my heatsink doesn't fit quite right when I tried my current ram in slots 1 and 3. I currently use 2 and 4.

My other question is if that won't work, if I find 2, 8GB PC3-10700 that has the same part number would my MB see all 32GB of that?

If none of that is viable either due to incompatibility or price I guess I'll wait until DDR5 is released.

Thanks

• Corsair Employee

You can definitely try but I'm afraid we can't ever really recommend doing it as even the exact same kit might be a different version number; or just the same but still as incompatible.

In my experience, most of the time using 2 kits is a 50/50 on whether it'll work or not even when using exact same part number.

• Corsair Employee

50/50 I'm afraid was just a saying and not meant to actually mean we've done statistical work. From my experience I actually have seen the chances of two kits working correctly, if at all, much lower than the 50/50 I used.

-Art

Archived