Corsair Community

I solved the K95 RGB keyboard freezing problem.

georgecee

Just like everyone else on the Forum, the functions & lights would freeze up after 5-30 minutes of use. I tried everything that people suggested here on the forum. I plugged into 2 USB 2.0 ports on my computer in different orders, I plugged into 1 USB 3.0 and then I plugged into 2 USB 3.0 ports. I tried every possible combination and nothing worked. I tried every port, etc.. I uninstalled the Corsair Software and totally removed my Corsair M65 RGB mouse and K95 RGB keyboard from my system. I then reinstalled everything and made sure that everything was up to date and correct.

I started to think that it was a problem with my USB ports on my computer. I have an ASRock Z87 Extreme 3 motherboard with an Intel i74770K Processor. I decided to take the plunge and update the BIOS on my motherboard to the latest version. Same thing, after a few minutes of serious gaming, the keyboard froze again. I was pretty mad! $189 and it freezes!!!! Not happy.

I settled on the fact that if I wanted to keep the keyboard and not return it to Best Buy, then I would just have to get used to flipping the Bios USB Polling rate switch on the back of the keyboard to reset it when this would happen. Since it was only a few days since I picked it up at Best Buy, I was really leaning toward just returning the keyboard and getting a Razr Chroma RGB keyboard. I would also return the Corsair M65 RGB mouse that I bought from Microcenter and get a RAZR Chroma Epic mouse so the keyboard and mouse match.

This morning, I was reorganizing my cables and doing a little gaming system reorganization. I plugged both K95 RGB USB plugs into my powered USB Hub and the keyboard does NOT freeze anymore!!! It's been over 12 hours of extreme system use and there has been no keyboard freezing or any issues whatsoever. I have extensively used the Corsair Utility engine software to create profiles and modes. I have installed all kinds of Profiles from the forums and had some good NON-freezing fun with the K95 RGB keyboard. At first I had both USB plugs from the K95 RGB plugged into my powered USB hub, then I unplugged 1 and left only the USB Plug with the keyboard icon plugged in. The keyboard is solid. No Freezing.

My USB hub is a Roccat Apuri Powered Active USB-Hub with mouse bungee. The power adapter that plugs into the hub is a 5.0 V - 2A power adapter. The box states that this hub has 4 x high-speed USB 2.0 ports (480Mbps each). The output power is 4 x 5V and max 500ma per port. The Roccat Apuri is plugged into 1 USB 3.0 port on the back of my computer and the power adapter is plugged into my APC Surge Supressor powerstrip. I am using 3 of the 4 ports right now. I plugged in my Corsair M65 RGB mouse, 1 USB keyboard plug from the K95 RGB keyboard and a Logitech C310 webcam into the Roccat Apuri hub. 1 open port on the USB hub. No Issues, No freezing, everything works great.

My theory is that the Corsair K95 RGB keyboard is very power hungry and not very compatible with many of the USB hardware/drivers out in the wild. Plugging into the generic Roccat Apuri powered USB hub and providing a fresh and clean 500ma power flow to the keyboard has turned this thing into a very nice NON-FREEZING keyboard. I theorize the passthrough USB plug from the previous K95 RGB keyboard was probably deleted on the new version due to possible power drain from whatever was plugged into that port. I'm sure that the onboard Panasonic lighting controller and all the LEDS must use more power than standard USB devices. The inability of most standard USB connections to provide strong power to this device must be causing the lockups and freezing that everyone is experiencing. Hopefully Corsair can fix this problem. If not, a powered USB hub powered by least a 5V 2A power supply is sufficient to keep the K95 RGB operating perfectly without freezing. Get the Roccat Apuri. It's really cool looking.

George Cee :D:

Edited by georgecee

Good thing you didn't get the Razer Chroma. The switches on them feel nice, but they're just about the cheapest mechanical switch you can get on the market. They break *really* easily.

As for the k95, it's true that the USB stack size is extremely heavy, but I don't think that's the main cause of the problem. The USB hub was mentioned in zheren's FAQ and it's probably the most common remedy, at least until Corsair can manage to reduce the amount of power the keyboard takes. It's probably not as much about power consumption, just how efficiently it uses power and other hardware things. But good job on finding an example for people to work off of on how to fix it, if people are looking for any.

Good thing you didn't get the Razer Chroma. The switches on them feel nice, but they're just about the cheapest mechanical switch you can get on the market. They break *really* easily.

Dead right there m8, its an awful keyboard

I had to buy a USB 3.0 PCI-E card for my desktop. It seems that the CUE software and board itself does not like some of the drivers/chipsets out there on the motherboards.

Using a HUB or a Card will most likely remedy this as it uses a different set of drivers than the onboard mobo drivers.

That is good to know and it is what I have been suspecting. My kb has worked perfectly from day one as do the majority of those installed. However it seems a percentage of the users machines may have have poorly designed USB chips or drivers. I have a MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING motherboard which as the Intel Z87 Express Chipset for USB and like I say I have no problems with my K95 RGB and M65 RGB combo.

It's about 2 days for me since I hooked up the K95 RGB keyboard to my powered USB hub. Still no freezing or any problems whatsoever. I guess I was lucky. I hope everyone on the forum has positive luck with their RGB keyboards as well. It sucks that you have to buy a USB 3.0 card or high quality powered USB hub to get this keyboard to work without freezing up. I might still return my keyboard & mouse. Not happy at all with the headache Corsair. I have friends with the RAZR products and they have no issues.

I have a really nice motherboard. It's ASRock Z87 Extreme 3 and I am sad to report that's it's USB ports don't play well with my Corsair K95 RGB. I had to resort to using a powered USB hub. You'll need at least 500ma per USB port on a powerfed USB hub to get it operational without freezing. :) Edited by georgecee

My kb has worked perfectly from day one as do the majority of those installed. However it seems a percentage of the users machines may have have poorly designed USB chips or drivers. I have a MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING motherboard which as the Intel Z87 Express Chipset for USB and like I say I have no problems with my K95 RGB and M65 RGB combo.

Interesting, I have the previous generation of the motherboard you have (Z77-GD65 Gaming), and when plugging my K95 into the USB 3.0 port on the motherboard, it would freeze. I think it has less to do with "poor" chipset (since we both run an Intel chipset), and more to do with some software/firmware compatibility issues.

After reading this thread, I instead plugged it into the USB 2.0 hub on my monitor with both connectors, and so far, no issues! So this might be a possible workaround until Corsair fixes the problem.

Interesting, I have the previous generation of the motherboard you have (Z77-GD65 Gaming), and when plugging my K95 into the USB 3.0 port on the motherboard, it would freeze. I think it has less to do with "poor" chipset (since we both run an Intel chipset), and more to do with some software/firmware compatibility issues.

After reading this thread, I instead plugged it into the USB 2.0 hub on my monitor with both connectors, and so far, no issues! So this might be a possible workaround until Corsair fixes the problem.

The only thing I can think is perhaps they are powering the USB ports more robustly on my MB than yours. I do know that my MB has the "Super Charger" feature for quickly charging your phone or tablet from USB.

Since Corsair tells us that only a very small number of users are having this problem, maybe they should provide powered USB hubs for those affected.

I'm convinced that the K95 RGB is manufactured just out side the USB specs of power requirements, thats why such random success rates of working/non working. The only way I can get mine to work for the most part is keyboard usb plugged into intel usb3 and power plugged into asmedia usb3. And then I'll have to quit CUE and restart it randomly. Sometime its never sometimes its a few times a day. I was thinking of trying to plug my K95 RGB power usb into my samsung Tab 3 10.1 charger and see if it finally gets enough power. Or I might plug it in with my USB voltage/ampage tester inline and finally see how much amps this thing draws. Edited by stevvie

I'm convinced that the K95 RGB is manufactured just out side the USB specs of power requirements, thats why such random success rates of working/non working. The only way I can get mine to work for the most part is keyboard usb plugged into intel usb3 and power plugged into asmedia usb3. And then I'll have to quit CUE and restart it randomly. Sometime its never sometimes its a few times a day. I was thinking of trying to plug my K95 RGB power usb into my samsung Tab 3 10.1 charger and see if it finally gets enough power. Or I might plug it in with my USB voltage/ampage tester inline and finally see how much amps this thing draws.

I am not convinced that that fully explains the problem. As you may know, the even the K65 has issues and it has at least 35 fewer keys and tri-color leds than the K95. This means the difference in power requirements between those keyboards is not trivial, yet they both have some customers reporting similar problems. I have the K95 plus I have 12 other USB devices plugged in and I have never had any issues at all.

I am not convinced that that fully explains the problem. As you may know, the even the K65 has issues and it has at least 35 fewer keys and tri-color leds than the K95. This means the difference in power requirements between those keyboards is not trivial, yet they both have some customers reporting similar problems. I have the K95 plus I have 12 other USB devices plugged in and I have never had any issues at all.

Not all USB ports are made to standard, some deliver less power then they should because the mobo manufacture wants to cut cost.

Not all USB ports are made to standard, some deliver less power then they should because the mobo manufacture wants to cut cost.

I have done some testing on the USB ports my K95 is plugged into.

plug with KB symbol: 4.95 volts at .38 amps

Plug with arrow symbols: 4.97 volts at .36 amps

Those numbers are well within USB 2.0 specs. My KB should be running fine with those test numbers and it does.

If plugging into a powered USB hub fixes peoples freezing issues then I suggest problems with on-board USB ports. For example the ports not supplying adequate power or having other devices drawing too much current from the same USB power circuit as the KB is connected.

Edited by remilton

plug with KB symbol: 5.95 volts at .38 amps

Plug with arrow symbols: 5.97 volts at .36 amps

Those numbers are well within USB 2.0 specs. My KB should be running fine with those test numbers and it does.

If plugging into a powered USB hub fixes peoples freezing issues then I suggest problems with on-board USB ports. For example the ports not supplying adequate power or having other devices drawing too much current from the same USB power circuit as the KB is connected.

Surely you mean 4.95 volts, not 5.95 volts? :!: Because 6 volts is not at all in the USB spec. Incidentally, my motherboard also has the SuperCharger feature, yet I had the freezing problem.

I am not convinced it is a power issue. I think it has something to do with thread affinity or race conditions encountered with the combination of the Corsair software, Corsair driver, and Intel 77-series (& other?) chipset drivers.

plug with KB symbol: 5.95 volts at .38 amps

Plug with arrow symbols: 5.97 volts at .36 amps

.36 amps is below standard which is .5 amps so those numbers are well out of 2.0 specs.

.36 amps is below standard which is .5 amps so those numbers are well out of 2.0 specs.

Your have your logic reversed.:confused: .5 amps is what USB 2.0 ports are guaranteed to supply. .36 amps is what the K95 keyboad is drawing and that is .14 amps BELOW the limit. Besides USB ports on many computer can actually supply up to 1.5 amps and of course ther are those computers and motherboard with crappy USB port that barely meet spec if at all.

To the previous poster: yes that was a typo 4.95v, no 5.95v

Edited by remilton

Surely you mean 4.95 volts, not 5.95 volts? :!: Because 6 volts is not at all in the USB spec. Incidentally, my motherboard also has the SuperCharger feature, yet I had the freezing problem.

I am not convinced it is a power issue. I think it has something to do with thread affinity or race conditions encountered with the combination of the Corsair software, Corsair driver, and Intel 77-series (& other?) chipset drivers.

Obviously a typo on the voltage.

I don't know what causing the freezing problem. It may well a bus problem, but then why does a powered hub fix it?

I guess I am lucky as I have the intel Z87 chipset and my keyboard works perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate everyones input in this matter. Stevvie and Remilton both have very good points they made.

So far, So good. I'm plugged into the powered USB hub and in 3 weeks I have only had 1 keyboard freeze.

Maybe when I upgrade to a new ASUS gaming motherboard with more stable USB power, I will not need to use the hub anymore. I guess we'll see what happens.

Have a great evening.

FWIW, my K95 RGB works fine using two USB 2 MB slots, but is NOT working at all in BIOS. I use mostly Linux and have been spending all my time working with the great new Linux driver on this Forum. Now, that it is working in Linux, I started to look at the other threads [as most of you use Windoz], and was sad to sickened to see the problems. I was RMAing a K95 [non-RGB] and suddenly was offered a K95 RGB as I had waited a loooong time [needing a NA keyboard, but living in Europe]...and had though I'd been given a present....but now wonder if I was thrown a known lemon. I can only hope a hardware fix will someday allow me to get into BIOS or use the USB 3 slot on my motherboard [GA-X58A-UD7 v.1]. Corsair, your reputation is on the line. I have Corsair memory and have never had problems with it. I've had Corsair keyboards before and only had minor problems with LEDs going out....but not being able to get into BIOS and having to have a second older keyboard on the desk to accomplish that........

The colors are very nice...but they'd be nicer if the keyboard would function as a keyboard first. I hope this all gets fixed.

I'm asking if others have been able to get the K95 RGB to work at boot; and if any with a few years old GA MB have had the same problems as I - NOT working at boot up and the USB3 ports don't work for this board. Thanks.

Edited by crazybear

• 2 years later...
Is this still a known issue? I am experiencing the freezing since three weeks ago with my K95 RGB Platinum. The thing is driving me insane now as no USB where I plug the keyboard seems to work around. It simply freezes, lights on, and I have to disconnect and connect back few times before it's detected again.

I had to buy a USB 3.0 PCI-E card for my desktop. It seems that the CUE software and board itself does not like some of the drivers/chipsets out there on the motherboards.

Using a HUB or a Card will most likely remedy this as it uses a different set of drivers than the onboard mobo drivers.

Which in itself is patently ludicrous - I've used plenty of different keyboards, including my previous Microsoft Sidewinder gaming keyboard, and NONE of them have been as problematic as my current Corsair. You know why? Because they likely actually tested against common motherboard chipsets etc. during the design/testing phase - it's called due diligence. I'm not saying Intel USB controllers etc. are perfect - but when they are so common in motherboards, you would think Corsair would tweak their designs/power draw etc. to account for this.