The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2015, 05:36 PM

POST ID # = 825952
Doc. Caliban Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgallant View Post
Did you end up bending the upper mount to get the extra space, or is your rad not secured in the case?
The radiator is mounted to the upper mounts only, and it barely has to flex to let the lower part of the radiator rest against the edge of the MB base plate. The hoses clear my IO ports, and it all fits perfectly. No "bending" required.

-Doc

Old 12-17-2015, 08:58 PM
asgallant's PC Specs

POST ID # = 826165
asgallant Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc. Caliban View Post
The radiator is mounted to the upper mounts only, and it barely has to flex to let the lower part of the radiator rest against the edge of the MB base plate. The hoses clear my IO ports, and it all fits perfectly. No "bending" required.

-Doc
Hmm...I have to think about it. This PC is a gift for someone else, and I am not entirely comfortable with that solution, especially since there are cables plugging into the MB right next to the fans. I think I might just get a pair of slim fans instead.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:36 PM

POST ID # = 826476

Quote:
Hmm...I have to think about it. This PC is a gift for someone else, and I am not entirely comfortable with that solution, especially since there are cables plugging into the MB right next to the fans. I think I might just get a pair of slim fans instead.
Take three minutes to try it; you'll see what I mean. It works perfectly and creates no compromises in mounting stability or added risk to other system components.

Thinner fans will likely be either louder or less effective. Or both. Also, if there are wires near the fans, then they need to be secured anyway... a few mm's isn't going to change that.

If I were the recipient of the system, I'd be happier with a cooling system in it's full form, with no corners cut to address a non-existent mounting issue. Again, it literally takes 2-3 minutes to mount it in there the way I described and check it out.

Sorry if I'm sounding cocky. I'm 46 years old and have years and years of experience with countless mechanical systems from computers to firearms to vehicles to you name it. I have absolute faith in my mechanical aptitude and know without reservation that this is a perfectly safe and effective way to get the newer H110i into the 250D case.

Do what feels best to you, of course; I'm just saying don't make that decision without actually seeing one of the options in action. It sounds like what you're imagining is not the same as what it's actually like. Keep in mind that I don't want my system getting messed up either! I have zero concern about it the way it is.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc. Caliban; 12-19-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:08 AM
asgallant's PC Specs

POST ID # = 826515

Quote:
Take three minutes to try it; you'll see what I mean. It works perfectly and creates no compromises in mounting stability or added risk to other system components.

Thinner fans will likely be either louder or less effective. Or both. Also, if there are wires near the fans, then they need to be secured anyway... a few mm's isn't going to change that.

If I were the recipient of the system, I'd be happier with a cooling system in it's full form, with no corners cut to address a non-existent mounting issue. Again, it literally takes 2-3 minutes to mount it in there the way I described and check it out.

Sorry if I'm sounding cocky. I'm 46 years old and have years and years of experience with countless mechanical systems from computers to firearms to vehicles to you name it. I have absolute faith in my mechanical aptitude and know without reservation that this is a perfectly safe and effective way to get the newer H110i into the 250D case.

Do what feels best to you, of course; I'm just saying don't make that decision without actually seeing one of the options in action. It sounds like what you're imagining is not the same as what it's actually like. Keep in mind that I don't want my system getting messed up either! I have zero concern about it the way it is.

-Doc
I might be giving it a try. I installed some slim fans on it and the cooling performance is abominable (barely better than the stock heatsink the CPU ships with). These fans (Thermaltake Luna Slim series) clearly do not have the static pressure the marketing materials claim.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:14 AM

POST ID # = 826534

Quote:
I might be giving it a try. I installed some slim fans on it and the cooling performance is abominable (barely better than the stock heatsink the CPU ships with). These fans (Thermaltake Luna Slim series) clearly do not have the static pressure the marketing materials claim.
I'm sorry to hear that. It's disappointing to spend time and money on what would seem like a sound plan just to find out that things aren't how they are supposed to be. Can you return the fans?

I hope mounting the H110i will work for you. I honestly think it will, but you've got to feel comfortable with it.

Let us know how it works out.

-Doc

P.S. If you don't like the H110i the way I have mine mounted, I do have a new H100i that we can work out a deal on as a Plan C if you need. I bought it before realizing that I could fit the H110i in, so it's just sitting around on a shelf.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:36 PM
asgallant's PC Specs

POST ID # = 826917

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. It's disappointing to spend time and money on what would seem like a sound plan just to find out that things aren't how they are supposed to be. Can you return the fans?

I hope mounting the H110i will work for you. I honestly think it will, but you've got to feel comfortable with it.

Let us know how it works out.

-Doc

P.S. If you don't like the H110i the way I have mine mounted, I do have a new H100i that we can work out a deal on as a Plan C if you need. I bought it before realizing that I could fit the H110i in, so it's just sitting around on a shelf.
New plan is to pull the rad out of the case, mount the original fans, and test it to get a baseline for its performance. If the performance is still bad, then it is likely I have a bad CPU mount, and I can try remounting the water block. If performance improves to the range I expect it in, then I will get a non-GTX h100i, and return the GTX.

Last edited by asgallant; 12-22-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:17 PM

POST ID # = 827089

Quote:
New plan is to pull the rad out of the case, mount the original fans, and test it to get a baseline for its performance. If the performance is still bad, then it is likely I have a bad CPU mount, and I can try remounting the water block. If performance improves to the range I expect it in, then I will get a non-GTX h100i, and return the GTX.
While you have the stock fans on there, mount it my way and see what you think.

To be clear, I want you to end up with the no-compromises system that I know is possible, and to do so without wasting time and money. Because of that, I'm going to be obnoxiously immodest for one paragraph, after which I promise that I will not suggest my method again.

Seriously, this is going to be obnoxious, but it's factually accurate and I'm making a point:

<sunglasses>
I've been building PCs, almost entirely for the primary use of gaming, since the i386, DOS 3.1, Windows 1.0 days of 1985. In those 30 years I've had the first model Sound Blaster card, Diamond Speedstar GPU, 3dfx VooDoo card, etc. I played Quake on a dual-Pentium III system (as in, 2 CPU sockets with 2 $700 CPUs). I ran 2 3dfx Voodoo 2 GPU's in SLI several years before Nvidia marketed the technology as their own in 2004. I had a 400 pound server rack in my living room running 9 Quake 2 servers via 2Mbit SDSL well over a year before 256Kbit ADSL was even available to the general public in my area. (Redmond, WA.) In more recent years I've had 3-way SLI systems with the latest and greatest GTX x80 GPUs. I've spent over $25k at newegg and over $5k at Amazon on gaming computer parts in the last 6 years alone. God only knows how much in total since 1985 ... RAM was upwards of $500 per MB in the late 80's. (Adjusting for inflation, that's over a million bucks per GB in today's dollars!) My point is that my experience-based advice is worth the three minutes it takes to try it out because I know what I'm talking about, times 10, when I say that the GTX fits into the 250D perfectly and securely, as long as the hoses don't hit your I/O ports. (They don't on my MB), and I'm hoping you don't miss out on having the GTX because you (sanely) worry about the soundness of some stranger's advice in a forum. There's no need to worry in this case. Pun intended.
</sunglasses>

I told you it was going to be obnoxious! (To be fair, it's not that I think I'm great, it's just that I think I have a lot of experience.)

Keep in mind that the only reason I have an unused, non-GTX cooler is because I have zero intention of installing it in my system because the GTX fits perfectly. It would be a completely unnecessary step backwards.

Good luck, and mry xmas! (I'm old, so I get a pass on saying, "Happy Holidays")

-Doc

Last edited by Doc. Caliban; 01-02-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:35 AM

POST ID # = 827699
Pezay Reputation: 10
Question

Quote:
While you have the stock fans on there, mount it my way and see what you think.

To be clear, I want you to end up with the no-compromises system that I know is possible, and to do so without wasting time and money. Because of that, I'm going to be obnoxiously immodest for one paragraph, after which I promise that I will not suggest my method again.

Seriously, this is going to be obnoxious, but it's factually accurate and I'm making a point:

<sunglasses>
I've been building PCs, almost entirely for the primary use of gaming, since the i386, DOS 3.1, Windows 1.0 days of 1985. In those 30 years I've had the first model Sound Blaster card, Diamond Speedstar GPU, 3dfx VooDoo card, etc. I played Quake on a dual-Pentium II system (as in, 2 CPU sockets with 2 $700 CPUs). I ran 2 3dfx Voodoo 2 GPU's in SLI several years before Nvidia marketed the technology as their own in 2004. I had a 400 pound server rack in my living room running 9 Quake 2 servers via 2Mbit SDSL well over a year before 256Kbit ADSL was even available to the general public in my area. (Redmond, WA.) In more recent years I've had 3-way SLI systems with the latest and greatest GTX x80 GPUs. I've spent over $25k at newegg and over $5k at Amazon on gaming computer parts in the last 6 years alone. God only knows how much in total since 1985 ... RAM was upwards of $500 per MB in the late 80's. (Adjusting for inflation, that's over a million bucks per GB in today's dollars!) My point is that my experience-based advice is worth the three minutes it takes to try it out because I know what I'm talking about, times 10, when I say that the GTX fits into the 250D perfectly and securely, as long as the hoses don't hit your I/O ports. (They don't on my MB), and I'm hoping you don't miss out on having the GTX because you (sanely) worry about the soundness of some stranger's advice in a forum. There's no need to worry in this case. Pun intended.
</sunglasses>

I told you it was going to be obnoxious! (To be fair, it's not that I think I'm great, it's just that I think I have a lot of experience.)

Keep in mind that the only reason I have an unused, non-GTX cooler is because I have zero intention of installing it in my system because the GTX fits perfectly. It would be a completely unnecessary step backwards.

Good luck, and mry xmas! (I'm old, so I get a pass on saying, "Happy Holidays")

-Doc
I´m on my way to order the exakt same configuration as you. 250D + Impact VIII + H100i GTX.

Can you please post a picture of your mounting of the H100i GTX?

Are the fans on the H100i GTX mounted in a pull-configuration outside the radiator with the radiator next to the motherboard or are the fans next to the motherboard in a push-configuration?

Thanks Doc!

Old 12-30-2015, 07:07 PM

POST ID # = 828328

Solved it with Doc´s instructions. The H100i GTX fits the 250D if you remove the lower mounting bracket on the chassis right side (seen from the front). The one you mount the radiator against. The radiator is now only mounted with the 4 screws on top, but it won't move an inch!

You can get in trouble anyway if your motherboard has a bad layout and has large things directly on the left of the IO-panel, where the hoses are mounted in the picture. The ASUS Maximus Impact VIII (Z170) worked perfectly!

If you instead mount the radiator with the hoses in the front, you won´t be able to use the sleigh for the 5,25"-unit and probably not even the front fan.

I had to use some force to get the side panel in place, but it worked and it doesn't bulge. The 5,25"-sleigh is in place, but I had to remove the upper right screw, on the right fan, to get it to fit.

I´ve checked that both fans isn't obstructed in any way, but it is a really tight fit!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 PM

POST ID # = 828744

That's perfect, Pezay! And yes, if a MB has more I/O port crap stuckiung up in the way, the hoses won't work out in the back, and if you want them in the front you definitely can't use the front fan.

Sorry about not getting photos up before you did your project; I've been being lazy and distracted by other stuff. I'm glad you went ahead and gave it a shot.

In my case, no pun intended, I didn't have to use any force to get the side cover on. However, the side cover on that side is a pain in the butt to take off compared to the other side ... it just snaps in there really lightly. It doesnt touch the radiator though.

Regardless, the GTX certainly fits and won't cause any issues at all. Enjoy!

-Doc

EDIT: Did you remove the three bottom fan screws? If not, that might be why the side was harder to get on ... it might push the radiator out far enough to get in the way a bit. I took them out just to keep them from potentially pushing against anything on the MB or power riser card, and because there's no structual loss in not having them in there.

Last edited by Doc. Caliban; 01-02-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:38 PM

POST ID # = 828790

Quote:
That's perfect, Pezay! And yes, if a MB has more I/O port crap stuckiung up in the way, the hoses won't work out in the back, and if you want them in the front you definitely can't use the front fan.

Sorry about not getting photos up before you did your project; I've been being lazy and distracted by other stuff. I'm glad you went ahead and gave it a shot.

In my case, no pun intended, I didn't have to use any force to get the side cover on. However, the side cover on that side is a pain in the butt to take off compared to the other side ... it just snaps in there really lightly. It doesnt touch the radiator though.

Regardless, the GTX certainly fits and won't cause any issues at all. Enjoy!

-Doc

EDIT: Did you remove the three bottom fan screws? If not, that might be why the side was harder to get on ... it might push the radiator out far enough to get in the way a bit. I took them out just to keep them from potentially pushing against anything on the MB or power riser card, and because there's no structual loss in not having them in there.
Thanks anyway Doc!

No, I didn't remove the the bottom screw, maybe that's what makes it stick out a bit. But it's no big deal. You can't spot anything from outside anyway. It's just a bit hard to get in place, but hopefully that's not the sidepanel that is going to be removed that often.

I just removed the upper right screw on the right fan to fit the 5,25" cage. It was tight as it was without the screw....

Old 03-26-2016, 04:22 AM
drzoidberg33's PC Specs

POST ID # = 844148
drzoidberg33 Reputation: 10

Just wanted to revive this thread as I've recently purchased the 250d and h100i GTX.

If you're planning to build a system like this I'd stay away from the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard. While it does all fit together in the end there is only one way of mounting the radiator which blocks you from mounting the front fan case.

The main issue is caused by the location of the 8 pin CPU power on the motherboard, the rad gets in the way of the clip on the 8 pin power connector. I guess you could probably saw off the clip on the connector but I'd prefer not to have this come loose while the computer is running.

So in the end I mounted it with the hoses in the front of the case and no front intake fan.

If heat become an issue I'll probably replace this case for something else even though I think it's a really nice case.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:58 PM
dimmanramone's PC Specs

POST ID # = 844455
dimmanramone Reputation: 10

Hi,

Instead of opening a new thread I'm hijacking this one instead.

I just finished my new system. I'm using an Asus Z170 pro gaming and my old H100i that I actually RMA'd this week because the leds are not functioning anymore. I talked with Corsair and they just have the v2 of h100i, so if I send back my old one the replacement will be a v2.

I read everyone has problem fitting the H100i GTX and the H100i v2 in the 250d.

Some have removed the lower bracket and mounted it with the hoses in the front of the case. Other are using slimmer fans etc.

I started wondering if it is a good idea to send my old H100i back to Corsair.

And now it is coming a storm of questions :D (sorry about that)

Is there anyone that actually managed to fit the GTX or the v2 in the 250d using an Asus Z170 pro gaming and have the hoses at the back of the case?

If I chage the 140mm fan with a 120mm in the front will I be able to fit the H100i with the hoses in the front and still have an intake 120mm fan?

The ones that are using H100i GTX, v1 and v2 do you have your fans as intake or exhaust?

Anyone that is using 80mm fans? I'm between the Noctua NF-R8 and the Noiseblocker Multiframe (PWM both of them).

One more thing that I noticed with the v2 of H100i is that you cannot connect more that 2 fans on it, on the v1 I was able to connect up to 4. This is a problem if I decide to use the v2 of H100i because there are not enough fan headers in the motherboard to connect the rest of the fans. Asus Z170 gaming pro has 1 cpu fan header and 2 sys fan headers. So if I want 1 fan in the front and 2 at the back of the case it seems that I have to use a fan splitter. Is it safe to use a fan splitter on the fan header?

There is always the solution to go with the Maximus VIII Impact that seems to have less problems with the GTX and v2 but then I cannot use my m.2 disk.

And one last question if anyone remounted the v1 with arctic cooling mx4? I cannot find shin etsu in sweden and I had to go with something else, but it doesn't seem to work so well, my temps in almost idle state is around 40 degrees.

Thanks in advance for all the answers and help

/dimmanramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoidberg33 View Post
Just wanted to revive this thread as I've recently purchased the 250d and h100i GTX.

If you're planning to build a system like this I'd stay away from the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard. While it does all fit together in the end there is only one way of mounting the radiator which blocks you from mounting the front fan case.

The main issue is caused by the location of the 8 pin CPU power on the motherboard, the rad gets in the way of the clip on the 8 pin power connector. I guess you could probably saw off the clip on the connector but I'd prefer not to have this come loose while the computer is running.

So in the end I mounted it with the hoses in the front of the case and no front intake fan.

If heat become an issue I'll probably replace this case for something else even though I think it's a really nice case.

Last edited by dimmanramone; 03-28-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:29 AM
drzoidberg33's PC Specs

POST ID # = 845044
drzoidberg33 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmanramone View Post
Hi,

Instead of opening a new thread I'm hijacking this one instead.

I just finished my new system. I'm using an Asus Z170 pro gaming and my old H100i that I actually RMA'd this week because the leds are not functioning anymore. I talked with Corsair and they just have the v2 of h100i, so if I send back my old one the replacement will be a v2.

I read everyone has problem fitting the H100i GTX and the H100i v2 in the 250d.

Some have removed the lower bracket and mounted it with the hoses in the front of the case. Other are using slimmer fans etc.

I started wondering if it is a good idea to send my old H100i back to Corsair.

And now it is coming a storm of questions :D (sorry about that)

Is there anyone that actually managed to fit the GTX or the v2 in the 250d using an Asus Z170 pro gaming and have the hoses at the back of the case?

If I chage the 140mm fan with a 120mm in the front will I be able to fit the H100i with the hoses in the front and still have an intake 120mm fan?

The ones that are using H100i GTX, v1 and v2 do you have your fans as intake or exhaust?

Anyone that is using 80mm fans? I'm between the Noctua NF-R8 and the Noiseblocker Multiframe (PWM both of them).

One more thing that I noticed with the v2 of H100i is that you cannot connect more that 2 fans on it, on the v1 I was able to connect up to 4. This is a problem if I decide to use the v2 of H100i because there are not enough fan headers in the motherboard to connect the rest of the fans. Asus Z170 gaming pro has 1 cpu fan header and 2 sys fan headers. So if I want 1 fan in the front and 2 at the back of the case it seems that I have to use a fan splitter. Is it safe to use a fan splitter on the fan header?

There is always the solution to go with the Maximus VIII Impact that seems to have less problems with the GTX and v2 but then I cannot use my m.2 disk.

And one last question if anyone remounted the v1 with arctic cooling mx4? I cannot find shin etsu in sweden and I had to go with something else, but it doesn't seem to work so well, my temps in almost idle state is around 40 degrees.

Thanks in advance for all the answers and help

/dimmanramone

I've been thinking of the best way to achieve this and it is possible but will require a few mods.

Firstly I think the mounting point for the rad, even at the highest position, is just too low and the bottom hose interferes with the PS2/USB connector on the board. You can drill new mounting holes a few mm higher to solve this though as there is still enough space vertically.

Secondly as I mentioned in my previous post is that the CPU power connector gets in the way. I was thinking of cutting away a small recess in the radiator frame just so that 8 pin connector can clip in securely. This will surely void the warranty though which I'm not sure I really want to do.

If I can find another mITX case that looks good, can fit an optical drive and AIO while staying at this price point I'll probably sell the 250d. The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX looks awesome but doesn't have optical and I'm not too keen on an external Blu-ray drive.

No.

I've considered it but never really been a fan of 80mm (waap waap).

And one last question if anyone remounted the v1 with arctic cooling mx4?

No, but I don't see a problem. I've used mx4 in the past in it works fine, not the best but it's a point where I don't think it's worth spending extra on thermal compound as it gets a lot more expensive for very little return.

Last edited by drzoidberg33; 04-01-2016 at 05:38 AM.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 AM
dimmanramone's PC Specs

POST ID # = 845060
dimmanramone Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoidberg33 View Post

I've been thinking of the best way to achieve this and it is possible but will require a few mods.

Firstly I think the mounting point for the rad, even at the highest position, is just too low and the bottom hose interferes with the PS2/USB connector on the board. You can drill new mounting holes a few mm higher to solve this though as there is still enough space vertically.

Secondly as I mentioned in my previous post is that the CPU power connector gets in the way. I was thinking of cutting away a small recess in the radiator frame just so that 8 pin connector can clip in securely. This will surely void the warranty though which I'm not sure I really want to do.

If I can find another mITX case that looks good, can fit an optical drive and AIO while staying at this price point I'll probably sell the 250d. The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX looks awesome but doesn't have optical and I'm not too keen on an external Blu-ray drive.
I decided finally to proceed with the RMA for my H100i and see if I manage to fit the replacement (It should be an h100i v2) in the case. I was even thinking to test to drill some holes for screws to move the radiator a bit to the front and try to have the pipes between the ports and the cpu header, if it is doable, else I will return the 250d and go for an air 240. It looks like a good case with good airflow and the dimensions are quite similar to 250d even if the 250d looks better.

Quote:

I've considered it but never really been a fan of 80mm (waap waap).
Well I'm not a fan either but I was thinking that should be good for the airflow.