Corsair Community

8GB setup required for a Gigabyte motherboard

stabby

Hi! This is my first post on the forum, so if I am screwing up (even though I read the rules), let me know!

Basically, I am a noob when it comes to memory stuff - something I've suffered for in the past in terms of compatibility. As such, please have patience with me if I seem a bit slow on grasping stuff!

I am in the process of making a new desktop computer out of some old components but a core of new ones. This entails, mainly, a new motherboard, processor and memory.

The new processor: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-930

The new motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, X58

Memory: Corsair

I really want a 8GB setup for this and I am completely set on Corsair memory as I do not want to skimp on quality this time around. However, being inexperienced, I'm pretty stuck at the moment, not being able to tell what works with what.

I contacted Gigabyte's support for more specific information on what kind of memory that works well with the model and got this reply:

Regarding memory, the X58 chipsets is designed to follow a JEDEC DDR3 memory standard, which specifies 1,5V module voltage, 1066 or 1333 Mhz memory frequency and CL8 latency @ 1333Mhz.

The GA-EX58-UD3R (ver. 1.0) has additional BIOS option to support 12x memory multiplier that gives 1600Mhz memory speed.

You can adjust the memory voltage from 1,5V in microsteps up to 1.65V, but not exceed this because higher voltage can damage the Core i7 CPU.

To use 8Gb with four modules each 2Gb, the modules needs to be installed in slot DDR3_2 DDR3_1 DDR3_4 DDR3_3.

The Intel i7-930 is supported from the F4 BIOS.

All of this info is probably well known to you, but for the sake of providing as much information as possible, I decided to show this reply anyway.

Using this information, some more questions have popped into my head:

1. How important is the CAS latency for compatibility? And when I say compatibility, I want to stress that I do not mean being able to reach the very peak performance of a given memory, but rather more on a level of "will I get constant BSODs if I decide to go with a CL9 setup on a board recommending CL8"?

2. How important is the volts for compatibility? Again, I realize that to get the very max out of your memory, it should run at the recommended level - but will it prove useless at a 1.5 setting?

I also understand that it is possible to, indeed, get the 1.65V and 1600Mhz by settings in BIOS. However, being inexperienced, I don't know how much fiddling in BIOS I want to do.

If I may, I'll show you the models I have taken a closer look at:

Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 8GB

Kit w/4x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL8-8-8-24, for Core i5 and i7, 1.65V

(CMD8GX3M4A1600C8)

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 8GB CL9

Kit w/4x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i5 and i7, 1.5V

(CMX8GX3M4A1333C9)

For me, the performance doesn't have to be at the very peak - however, I don't have the skill to deal with bad compatibility issues. Does any of these models look alright to you?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Any of our triple channel kits should work on that board without any issues. Cas 9 is slightly slower than Cas 8. The voltages for most of the triple channel kits is 1.65v.

As for running 8GB you really wouldn't want to run 8GB in an X58 motherboard you would want to go with 6GB or 12GB. Please see the link below and look under the triple channel kit section.

http://www.corsair.com/products/corei7/default.aspx

Thank you so much for the quick reply - It was extremely helpful.

I consulted the page you linked me to and found the HX3X12G1600C9 kit carried by a local retailer, so I am probably going with that or one of the 6GB kits listed!

Again, thanks!

Archived