Corsair Community

Best NVME ssd upgrade for original one pro

tmh666

Well unlike a lot of people who have posted here, my Corsair One Pro mark 1 has been running flawlessly for over a year taking everything i have thrown at it.

Now as my games library has grown i would like some more space and and i feel its time to properly crack the case and fit a decent sized NVME SSD.

So any ideas on what would be the best 1TB SSD to buy, preferably one that will run cool and not throttle its self on the warm underside of my motherboard.

What is used on the newer Corsair one models?

What would be better (if i can find the money)?

Well unlike a lot of people who have posted here, my Corsair One Pro mark 1 has been running flawlessly for over a year taking everything i have thrown at it.

Now as my games library has grown i would like some more space and and i feel its time to properly crack the case and fit a decent sized NVME SSD.

So any ideas on what would be the best 1TB SSD to buy, preferably one that will run cool and not throttle its self on the warm underside of my motherboard.

What is used on the newer Corsair one models?

What would be better (if i can find the money)?

My One Pro came fitted with a Samsung 960 EVO NVME (half terabyte). It's the OEM version rather than the retail one. I basically went into Device Manager and looked up the code for the storage drives.

I've mentioned on another thread that there is no loss in speed, load time, game play in running games from the included 2tb HDD, and just using the 0.5tb M.2 drive for the OS. I know some people are put off by the low spin speed the drives and feel it will slow things down, but it's not the case. The Ram speed and processing power in the One's more than make up for it, and I personally, have found no issues running games off the included HDD. Compared against the MS Surface Book I use as my mobile machine, and has the same games - the One Pro runs faster. The Surface Book uses an M.2 drive, but has a lessor processor and the ram isn't as fast.

Rather than void your warrantee and remove the MB to replace the M.2 drive, you could just add another drive to the case.

Corsair One machines that have M.2 drives preinstalled use only one of the hard-drive bays in the case, and you will find a second, unused, bay likely at the bottom the machine able to hold a 2.5inch drive. Power cable is already free for a drive in that position, but you will need a SATA cable to connect it to the motherboard. There are plenty of 2.5inch sized SSD's. A decent 2tb SSD is going to cost, but be an easier install. You could move your games to that, and leave the M.2 for OS only.

Or you could give the included 2tb HDD a go and see if you need to spend any extra money :biggrin:

• Corsair Employee
My One Pro came fitted with a Samsung 960 EVO NVME (half terabyte). It's the OEM version rather than the retail one. I basically went into Device Manager and looked up the code for the storage drives.

I've mentioned on another thread that there is no loss in speed, load time, game play in running games from the included 2tb HDD, and just using the 0.5tb M.2 drive for the OS. I know some people are put off by the low spin speed the drives and feel it will slow things down, but it's not the case. The Ram speed and processing power in the One's more than make up for it, and I personally, have found no issues running games off the included HDD. Compared against the MS Surface Book I use as my mobile machine, and has the same games - the One Pro runs faster. The Surface Book uses an M.2 drive, but has a lessor processor and the ram isn't as fast.

Rather than void your warrantee and remove the MB to replace the M.2 drive, you could just add another drive to the case.

Corsair One machines that have M.2 drives preinstalled use only one of the hard-drive bays in the case, and you will find a second, unused, bay likely at the bottom the machine able to hold a 2.5inch drive. Power cable is already free for a drive in that position, but you will need a SATA cable to connect it to the motherboard. There are plenty of 2.5inch sized SSD's. A decent 2tb SSD is going to cost, but be an easier install. You could move your games to that, and leave the M.2 for OS only.

Or you could give the included 2tb HDD a go and see if you need to spend any extra money :biggrin:

I second this.

Corsair One machines that have M.2 drives preinstalled use only one of the hard-drive bays in the case, and you will find a second, unused, bay likely at the bottom the machine able to hold a 2.5inch drive.

Hi - how many drive bays are in the case in total?

Hi - how many drive bays are in the case in total?

COnes all have two HDD bays, one in the base of the case, and one at the middle front. COnes preinstalled with M.2 NVME drives only have one HDD (usually the middle front bay). Older COnes who don't have M.2 NVME drives have two HDDs preinstalled in the case.

• 3 months later...

So, I performed this upgrade at the weekend. I would NOT recommend it to anyone. Things to remember: You WILL void your warranty and when Linus of Tech Tips fame reviewed the C1, he managed to break it when he took it apart.

If you choose to ignore all the above advice, things to note are:

- Take a LOT of photos, when ever you remove a cable. They will come in handy.

- you will be the first person to remove most of these cables, they are very tight

- performance benefit is there, but minimal. I did it as I had a spare nvme (950 pro) and I dual boot - this is literally the only reason I can see for a need to add an nvme, and even then it would of been easier to swap to a larger SSD.

- you only need to remove the motherboard side

- you will need tweezers when you drop the screw

- and a magnetic screwdriver

- I have about 30 years experience building PC's, including phase change & modding systems. It's not a task I would want to do again.

On the plus side - the CPU has generic 'sticker' style paste. This part is an easy upgrade.

Archived