Corsair Community

HG10 compatible with a 1080?

PolishTechGuy

Gamer Nexus have pcb pics in their tear down article. They intend to fit an eVGA hybrid AIO cooler to their 1080. They talk about different 'mount points' but continue on to say this means they have to run without the Hybrid faceplate with the pump exposed so its not clear if these mount points they talk about are actually the pcb mount points the HG10 N980 would attach to. I google image searched a 980ti PCB and visually compared the two. All bar one of the mount point holes on the PCB seem to be in exactly the same position on both cards. Theres more memory modules around the GPU die on the 1080 obviously enough so we might need to make sure we have a few extra thermal pads when fitting. The capacitors on the back end of the PCB are in slightly different positions but only one looks like it might be a problem. Nothing that taking a dremel to take a nibble out of the HG10 wouldn't solve.

In other words, it looks like even if Corsair are slow to bring out a HG10 N1080, it doesn't look like it would be much trouble to adapt a HG10 N980.

I eagerly await the gamer Nexus eVGA Hybrid AIO results. It may turn out that the single 8 pin power connector might be the next roadblock to higher overclocks. If thats the case, we need to wait for AIB partners to bring out 1080's with another power connector.

Gamer Nexus have pcb pics in their tear down article. They intend to fit an eVGA hybrid AIO cooler to their 1080. They talk about different 'mount points' but continue on to say this means they have to run without the Hybrid faceplate with the pump exposed so its not clear if these mount points they talk about are actually the pcb mount points the HG10 N980 would attach to. I google image searched a 980ti PCB and visually compared the two. All bar one of the mount point holes on the PCB seem to be in exactly the same position on both cards. Theres more memory modules around the GPU die on the 1080 obviously enough so we might need to make sure we have a few extra thermal pads when fitting. The capacitors on the back end of the PCB are in slightly different positions but only one looks like it might be a problem. Nothing that taking a dremel to take a nibble out of the HG10 wouldn't solve.

In other words, it looks like even if Corsair are slow to bring out a HG10 N1080, it doesn't look like it would be much trouble to adapt a HG10 N980.

I eagerly await the gamer Nexus eVGA Hybrid AIO results. It may turn out that the single 8 pin power connector might be the next roadblock to higher overclocks. If thats the case, we need to wait for AIB partners to bring out 1080's with another power connector.

Yup. Some german site installed an Arctic Cooling cooler on their 1080 and even though it was maxing out at 50*C they couldn't get more than 2.05GHz~ due to no voltage/power headroom.

So to OC that baby above 2.0 we will need custom designs with an additional power connector, but will they only add the connector or also change the PCB design alongside it? Hope not cause that would create compatibility issues if Corsair/NZXT make their coolers for reference boards only.

Yup. Some german site installed an Arctic Cooling cooler on their 1080 and even though it was maxing out at 50*C they couldn't get more than 2.05GHz~ due to no voltage/power headroom.

So to OC that baby above 2.0 we will need custom designs with an additional power connector, but will they only add the connector or also change the PCB design alongside it? Hope not cause that would create compatibility issues if Corsair/NZXT make their coolers for reference boards only.

HardOCP was able to get their test sample to start out at 2113MHz, but then it got heat soaked and steadied out for the remainder of their test at 2026.

They did this by just upping the power target to 120%, doing +230Mhz and setting the stock fan to 100%.

This suggests that over 2100 is possible within the power envelope of the OEM board. If given sufficient cooling it ought to be able to stay at 2100, and not drop down to 2026.

This means - to me - that there still is a reason to upgrade the cooling on these. Firstly you don't have to deal with the 100% fan noise, and secondly you might have a chance at keeping it at, or close to the peak clock at the beginning of the test, instead of having it drop down.

The fact that the existing brackets might just fit with some minor modifications is good news!

You can put me on the list of first purchasers of an HG10 that fits a GTX 1080. I have been more than impressed with Corsair's AOI Liquid Cooling Solutions. I have the Hydro Series H115i on my processor right now. I was hesitant to go the whole liquid cooling route, but this was a legit plug and play application. I have my i7-5820 overclocked to 4.5 GHz and when stress testing I have never seen it go above 70 degrees.

I will be buying the HG10 and an H90 for the GTX 1080 if they make the HG10 bracket for the GTX 1080. I do not know if any of the other AIO vendors are making any of these brackets, but I am very satisfied with the AIO solution I have. Very cool and very quiet; granted I did change the fans to the Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM.

-Ray

I truly do not care about presentation. My computer does not have a window, and to be frank, even if it did, I care far more about performance than what a piece of electronics equipment looks like inside of a case.

I intend to be staring at the awesome graphics produced on my screen, not at the card itself...

It fits and it works. It does need a minor modification, but it's not that big a deal. Just needed to sand a little bit down for it to fit without it hitting the power circuitry. I've got an H75 strapped onto my 1080 now and it's working great.

If anyone's interested in what part I had to sand specifically then let me know and I'll grab a pic or two.

It fits and it works. It does need a minor modification, but it's not that big a deal. Just needed to sand a little bit down for it to fit without it hitting the power circuitry. I've got an H75 strapped onto my 1080 now and it's working great.

If anyone's interested in what part I had to sand specifically then let me know and I'll grab a pic or two.

That's great to hear, what parts did you use to mount the H75 onto the 1080? I have a founder's edition card too and I'm looking into getting a hybrid cooler on it.

I am very interested. I am thinking of getting the EVGA reference version for $609 and putting the HG10 on it.

Did you get the GTX 980 version and modify?

Any information would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Ray.

I used the HG10 980 - only 1 of the screw holes doesn't line up but that's no big deal. Otherwise nothing extra was required. Here's some pics:

Can clearly see the bit I had to chop out :)

http://i.imgur.com/NS8hBTWh.jpg

Close up:

http://i.imgur.com/AzKMvVqh.jpg

Mounted to the card:

http://i.imgur.com/JPPdcFRh.jpg

And a close up from the side:

http://i.imgur.com/szhwwlIh.jpg

No the standard fan on the HG10 fitted fine :) I put a spare blower fan on there just as I noticed it was a lower rpm and I was testing with noise levels, but both are fine and the fan cable reached the connector on the 1080 with plenty of slack.

Max I've seen so far is 52 degrees C. That's after playing Doom, GTA V and some Firestrike testing. Pretty impressed with that especially as it's pretty hot here at the moment and the ambient temp in the house is crazy.

Haven't had a chance to play around with overclocking yet but hopefully later :)

Max I've seen so far is 52 degrees C. That's after playing Doom, GTA V and some Firestrike testing. Pretty impressed with that especially as it's pretty hot here at the moment and the ambient temp in the house is crazy.

Haven't had a chance to play around with overclocking yet but hopefully later :)

At what freq. it stays boosted? Can you reach stable 2100 or more?

A similar question: is HG10 N980 compatible with a reference gtx1070?

I am sure someone will answer you with a "definite" answer, but I can give you a vague answer for now. I would say that you would have no problems at all using the HG10 with a GTX 1070 as the two reference cards have the exact same footprint from what I have seen/read so I would say that you will not have any problems, now you will still need to do the modifications that 'Zheez' showed the pictures of, but after those modifications you should be just fine. I am so excited to do the mod and start using my GTX 1080! I am getting restless waiting for the bugger lol, I ordered the darn thing from B&H on June 5th, but I guess they were back ordered when I bought it :[pouts: I wish I realized that before paying for it but ah well. I got a hell of a deal on it (especially seeing people selling AND BUYING the GTX 1080's for over a $1,200 which is just crazy but I guess it's all about supply and demand and some people will pay ridiculous prices just to have it before anyone else lol, shoot ive even seen people buying the GTX 1070 on Amazon and eBay for over $800 which is crazy, if those people just signed up to nowinstock.net or just just kept a good eye out, then they could have just got the GTX 1080 for over $100 cheaper than the ridiculous $800 they spent on the 1070). Just 2 days after paying for my GTX 1080 (June 7th) Nvidia had the GTX 1080 back in stock for $699, but you really need to keep good eyes out (or use nowinstock.net) because they usually sell out within a hour after getting new "Stock-In's", but they are available! Sorry I went way off topic there lol, so yea reining it back in, you should be ok with the HG10 & the 1070, but if someone has actually done the mod please let us know or if you end up doing the mod urself please let us know as well because my buddy has his HG10 waiting for his 1070 as we speak, he is just waiting for his 1070 to come in, but like I mentioned to him and also to you guys, I think with the mod it will work beautifully. :biggrin: :D: :biggrin:

Zheez what size thermal pads did you use:

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/207_335/cooling/thermal-pads

It looks to me u used 1.5mm based off pcb thickness, though that seems a bit small, just got with 2mm and squish it?

also could you show a picture of the cpu block installed on it too see how well it fits thanks.

I am not 100% on this as I am not Zheez lol but, the thermal pads I see are the ones that come right on the HG10 I do believe.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25637&stc=1&d=1465900655

HG10-N980-Edition-9.thumb.jpg.82025341aaa4b797b5af5a51a1d03698.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have fitted an HG10 to my 1070, using a H80i V2 for the cooling.

However, my temperatures are not any better than the stock cooler!

idle is 28C, but under load (e.g. just playing overwatch) temperatures go up to 73-74C.

I have double checked good contact, used 3rd party paste etc, and they aren't improving.

Any suggestions?

P.s. the h80i is new. Using 2 stock fans in push-pull, connected to the H80i, (I have ensured correct orientation). Setting fans to 100% doesn't help.

*Edit: I have experience fitting these corsair coolers, have been using them for >5 years. My CPU runs at ~40-45 on load (mild OC).

Archived