Corsair Community

AX860i Issue - has this been fixed

Erinon

Hi,

I am currently Express RMA'ing a dud AX860i which has this rebooting issue and am being shipped a new replacement.

So far my experience with Corsair support has been positive. My only concern is has this issue of randomly cutting power and restarting been fixed in the AX860i?

I really don't want to go through the whole process again in 6 months..

Thanks

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of our units don't have any issues like this. Most of them last for years and years, but very rarely does a problem like this occur. It could also be other factors like possibly a motherboard failure that is causing this or an overheating issue within the graphics card. I don't know what situation happened that led to your issue, but I'm just stating a few instances of what could have happened.

Typically, this isn't a widespread issue out of the many units that we ship, so once you get your replacement, you shouldn't encounter it again.

• 1 month later...
Most of our units don't have any issues like this. Most of them last for years and years, but very rarely does a problem like this occur. ....Typically, this isn't a widespread issue out of the many units that we ship, so once you get your replacement, you shouldn't encounter it again.

Well installed replacement 860i after the trauma of the RMA process and was looking forward to the quality experience you expect from Corsair. Sadly a few weeks later its happening again. PSU was ok for about 3 weeks then it started rebooting once or twice after 15mins or so. Now it's constant - seriously every 10mins. put in my old Antec and system is fine.

How do I go about getting a refund? its obviously not fit for purpose/has a quality control issue and I really don't want to go through the RMA pain again only to receive a replacement dodgy 860i.

Amusingly I was in a chat with Corsair to report it and guess what - it restarted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Well have now gone through the RMA/Express RMA process and am waiting for my third 860i. I wonder how long this one will last.

It really is a very poor show by Corsair not to acknowledge and fix this issue with this PSU.

For Corsair to fix this issue specifically for you, you would have to ask for a failure analysis when doing your RMA (also stating this is the second unit with the same problem) and provide a list of all of your components s their validation team can test it in house.

The problem could be unique to your build, including a specific motherboard/BIOS revision.

Did you have a chance to try the PSU in another PC to see if the problem followed the PSU?

Did you have a chance to try the PSU in another PC to see if the problem followed the PSU?

Thanks for the reply Jonny.

I haven't put it into another PC although I have replaced it in my rig with an alternative PSU and the problem disappears.

I'm currently waiting for the third PSU to arrive next week.

Given the wide ranging discussion on this particular PSU 's problems why has nothing been officially announced?

My confidence level in this new PSU fixing the issue is not high and I'm not looking forward to the pain of going through another RMA process but most of all having my PC die on me just as I'm about to send an email to Corsair support....

If you are interested in the background there are several support tickets, the main ones being #617891 and #643929.

Edited by Erinon

• Corsair Employee

There are so many motherboards and so many build configurations.... An official "we found this PSU doesn't work on XXX motherboard with XXX BIOS list would be the best thing to do, but it would be difficult to maintain such a list.

That particular PSU still has an RMA rate of < 2%, so to do some sort of recall, etc. because of a few issues would be overkill.

Thanks for the ticket numbers, but I can't use those. I don't work for Corsair support. Best for you to log into your own ticket and put your own notes into it or contact Corsair support.

• Corsair Employee
Well third PSU arrived this week - I installed it - and last night it started the reboot dance. Guess its another call to Customer support... wonder how many PSU's they'll ship out before they accept something is wrong...

They'll send you PSUs forever as long as you're within the warranty period.

Or, you can open a ticket asking for a failure analysis with a complete list of your parts and the motherboard BIOS revision so someone in Corsair's validation department can track down what part you have that is incompatible.

• Corsair Employee

So.. Someone shared with me the details of your ticket. Really, the only thing you did rule out is that the problem isn't heat related.

"Reseating" RAM doesn't really do much. Not as much as replacing it or using fewer sticks.

Have you used another PSU in this build to prove it's the PSU? Because most of the time when I see a reboot issue, it's actually the RAM.

Quick question: What made you 100% sure your reboot issue was actually your PSU?

Good question - I initially thought it would be some other component and went through the driver upgrading, re- seating etc of components and put a shed load of monitoring on. Nothing showing up - no heat etc etc - even installed a UPS and additional fan to rule of power fluctuations and heat.

I then put a PSU from another build in and the problem disappeared. System was stable didn't reboot once over a three week period. Put the 860i in and bang- reboot cycle again.

My damn Pc has rebooted twice just writing this. I'm about to go get my laptop if it happens again....

edited - Just seen your comment RE: RAM - I'll get some on Monday and try it.

Edited by Erinon

• Corsair Employee

Hmm.. Ok.

Yeah. If you can put more details in your most current ticket like BIOS rev and all of your other parts, Corsair's validation department can try to troubleshoot the problem.

Unfortunately, when you do a normal RMA without failure analysis, the PSU just ships back to the nearest hub and not to HQ or the factory. So they can't test with any of your returns.

Hmm.. Ok.

Yeah. If you can put more details in your most current ticket like BIOS rev and all of your other parts, Corsair's validation department can try to troubleshoot the problem.

Ok done this, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

Hmm, I have this exact same issue. It worked fine the first few weeks. I shutdown every night before going to bed. But one day it just started Looping before even getting through POST. I found a somewhat of a workaround by disconnecting everything from the PSU, doing the "self-test" and made sure the light was green and the fan ran etc. Then I reconnected everything and it worked.

Atleast untill the next time I shutdown the computer. So next time I just didn't shut it down at all, let it run for several weeks.

Untill I accidentally did a shutdown instead of a restart, and had to do the whole workaround procedure again.

But this time it randomly shut down during the first minutes-hours and went into the infinite loop. Totally random. Every time I try and do the workaround procedure it ends up randomly turning off into the pre-post loop.

I've now disconnected everything and gonna let the PSU "rest" since yesterday. gonna try it again when I get home.

But yeah, I would rather NOT have to do this procedure every time I shutdown just to get it back on.

Seems we're not the only ones either. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3296738/random-shutdown-infinite-boot-loop.html#20431887

Edited by Offen

The OP has the Asus Maximus VI.

The Tom's Hardware link OP has a Maximus VIII.

What kind of board are you using?

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD7 WIFI (rev. 1.0)

I tried changing to an older PSU yesterday, so far I haven't had any problems. Can turn my PC off an on without any loops or anything. So I don't know what can be causing this issue.

What I did notice tho while troubleshooting. If I disconnected Everything from the PSU(AX860i) the self test worked fine. But when I connected only the cables without anything on the other end of the cables, I noticed that the self test worked fine except when the 10pin plug that goes to the 24pin ATX was plugged in. http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsair/product%20photos/psu/ax-series/ax860i/large/ax760i_860i_psu_back.png

Top left one in the picture. (The one below the com-port)

Keep in mind I had nothing connected to the other end of the cable. Only the cables themself, so in theory there shouldn't be any issues there unless there is some sort of shortcut between the wires in the cables? But yeah, what I'm saying is that it could be some wrong with the cable? or the connection where the the plug goes in the PSU, a shortcut or something.

What you think?

What I wanna try before RMAing the entire PSU is get a new 24pin ATX cable. See if the problem persists. I was gonna take the cable with me to work and test it with a multimeter. Forgot the Cable at home :P I'll try on monday.

Which of the PINs goes to the POWER ON/OFF control?

Edited by Offen

• Corsair Employee

What I did notice tho while troubleshooting. If I disconnected Everything from the PSU(AX860i) the self test worked fine. But when I connected only the cables without anything on the other end of the cables, I noticed that the self test worked fine except when the 10pin plug that goes to the 24pin ATX was plugged in.

Yeah. That's how the self test works. Read your manual. It doesn't work if the 24-pin cables are plugged in.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Well I've tried different memory in original PC with 860i and the issue goes away. ("Great", I thought must be the memory...)

I put the original memory in a different box with different PSU and its fine.

Put the 860i and original memory together in new box - no problem

Put them back in original box - reboots galore.

So I've now just swapped the 860i out, with original memory in my original PC and am using a different PSU. All fine.

Maybe there's something else incompatible in my build but with a different PSU my system is stable so I'm happy.

Thanks for your help.

• 8 months later...

It's definitely the PSU. Mine will sometimes shut itself off 2 seconds after I press the power button, where it will stay off or start to power cycle. It will power cycle if I try to wake the system from S3 sleep almost every time. The self test thing used to work but now it fails (without showing the red light that is supposed to tell you there is something wrong) instantly as if I'm pressing the power button in the case.

Which bugs me beyond imagination is that I can get the PSU to work normally just by wiggling the cables on the PSUs end.. Why it bugs my so damn much? because at first I though it had something to do with my overclock (which I revised a million times) or any of the hardware I've got installed (I checked every piece of hardware extensively).. I wasn't expecting such an expensive and flagship-series PSU to have issues.

I had it since December 2016 and didn't experienced any issues until about 3 months ago.

I doubt the issue is being caused by the power cables I'm using, but I will try changing them anyways just to be sure.

Customer support is yet to contact me on the ticket I've issued about a week ago.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I bought a new AX860i from Amazon (said Corsair) and in the box it said CERTIFIED REFURBISHED.

My computer runs for 20mins and then shutsdown and goes into very quick bootloops.

I think something is bad with this model and tech, I've seen many people reporting this bootloop issue.

Im buying an Assus PSU instead.

• 5 months later...

Well I recently put my 860i back into my PC and after a few weeks of use the reboots returned. I see that other users are experiencing this as well.

Guess I'm going to go down the RMA route again.... <sigh>