The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM

POST ID # = 434788
wibble2 Reputation: 10
Default 4xCM2X2048-8500C5D + P5N-D

Hi guys,

I've put 2 new CM2X2048-8500C5D DIMMs in my Asus P5N-D (with a Q9450), joining my existing 2 DIMMs of the exact same make.

After having various issues for a week or so, I left memtest running for an hour and it came up with quite a few errors.

I've tested each DIMM and slot individually, and they're all fine.

I've also tested each permutation of slots with three DIMMs, and they all pass too, but whenever I put all four in I get the errors again.

I've tried setting the timings manually (5-5-5-15), as well as the DRAM voltage (2.1V), with no success (this is at a 1333MHz FSB and 800MHz memory speed).

I have the latest BIOS available.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 434789
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 434791
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Raise your memory controller voltage 2-4 steps above the stock setting and test for stability. Also, be sure to disable Legacy USB Support when running Memtest as there is a conflict with this setting. Be sure to use Memtest 4.0 linked to the left of this post.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM

POST ID # = 434797
wibble2 Reputation: 10

Thanks for the very fast responses!

I'll try that, is there a way I can find out the default voltages so I can know what to raise them to?

The bios just helpfully says 'auto'.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 434800

You would have to ask the MB maker, how ever if you select the setting and press Enter it may gave all of the options and the default is usually the first or lowest option.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:54 AM
yarba's PC Specs

POST ID # = 565384
yarba Reputation: 10

Very glad found this forum and that it is well maintained.

Having seen a few posts at this forum on the subject of increasing from 4gb to 8gb by purchasing anohter set of the matched pair memory CM2X2048-8500C5D (XMS2) I would like to approach the issue from a slightly different angle.

I would also like to upgarde the ram in my system from 4GB to 8GB (4x2GB) or possibly even further as I make music on the computer and sometimes, as a composition builds, and the number of plugins, samples and effects processors running simulteaneously increases, the system can start to become sluggish and I start to wonder if doubling the RAM would help keep the workflow at an even pace and although it might be good practice to try and be economical with the elements used sometimes you just want to throw everything into a tune.

I can see from these posts that it is eminently possible to double the RAM but will involve setting the DDR to 667 MHz whereas at the moment using only 4GB RAM it realises 1066 MHz.

So I guess my question is - is it better to have 4GB running at 1066MHz or 8GB running at 667 MHz?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 565662

Your question is a good question but it is also a relative question? In that it really depends on you and you use the system. In some cases having faster memory even less would be an advantage and in some cases the opposite will hold true.

If you are using applications that are memory intensive and you see that you are getting low on memory often then having more memory even if its running slower will be a benefit.

Tags
cm2x2048-8500c5d, p5n-d